#GTCamp2016

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought Lynch was the only back we had last year who would reliably run through the first hit. He showed me a lot and I expect him to do well this year too. But …

I still think he should be out at WR. He can really catch, he can really block, and he's good after the catch too. He was recruited as a WR too boot. I'd much rather see him out there then MLD. But nobody on the coaching staff is asking me (good thing, that), he's showing well at AB, and we're loaded up at WR for the time being. So this is "fans in the stands" wishful thinking.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought Lynch was the only back we had last year who would reliably run through the first hit. He showed me a lot and I expect him to do well this year too. But …

I still think he should be out at WR. He can really catch, he can really block, and he's good after the catch too. He was recruited as a WR too boot. I'd much rather see him out there then MLD. But nobody on the coaching staff is asking me (good thing, that), he's showing well at AB, and we're loaded up at WR for the time being. So this is "fans in the stands" wishful thinking.
I like him at Aback because of the exact reasons you like him at WR the best Aback is not only a guy who can run with the ball but has good hands out of the backfield and can block on the perimeter. That's a difference maker right there plus instead of him being matched against corners his same size if he was at WR, he is bein matched against LB's that although are bigger they most of the time can't keep up with him, and that's a big thing in our favor.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think height is one of the biggest factors separating a WR from an AB. Obviously that's not the only thing but I think a lack of height will relegate many capable WR to AB instead. Always exceptions though. I think Lynch is a true tweener for us. His ability to move in traffic probably slots him more to AB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
DE position is my biggest concern heading into the year. I think Jordan Woods will be a good one for us but I don't expect much from him as a true frosh.....we are thin at DE and had little production from that spot last year. I feel much better about DT and hopefully those guys can help our ends. I worry Gamble might have to slide back to SE which I don't think he's best suited for. *this is my negative post for the month :cool:*

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
DE position is my biggest concern heading into the year. I think Jordan Woods will be a good one for us but I don't expect much from him as a true frosh.....we are thin at DE and had little production from that spot last year. I feel much better about DT and hopefully those guys can help our ends. I worry Gamble might have to slide back to SE which I don't think he's best suited for. *this is my negative post for the month :cool:*

My opinion is that DE can only improve from last year. Anree was young, and got some good reps last year. We have a very highly rated guy coming in (Jordan) who had offers from some elite programs. In addition, we pick up a third year transfer who is the biggest of all DE's at 270 (Desmond). Add that to our starters Rod and KeShun... we should be improved.

My personal concern is how the secondary will gel together, after losing all 4 starters. Lot of question marks on defense generally.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
My opinion is that DE can only improve from last year. Anree was young, and got some good reps last year. We have a very highly rated guy coming in (Jordan) who had offers from some elite programs. In addition, we pick up a third year transfer who is the biggest of all DE's at 270 (Desmond). Add that to our starters Rod and KeShun... we should be improved.

My personal concern is how the secondary will gel together, after losing all 4 starters. Lot of question marks on defense generally.

Also, don't forget about Antonio Simmons who I think has a really high ceiling. Also have heard Tyler Merriweather has been getting better coming off his soph. Red shirt year. I think we are deeper at DE then we ever have been.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

ok darn it i will bite.

i have concern about the depth of the whole D. Lets just step back. We are one injury away at almost every position from playing a guy who has never really played. big concern.

Now. If we just look at starters by unit.

DE - one side has really underwhelmed. The other i think will find his sea legs again. Sde here has been a total enigma
DT - one is solid. The other is an unknown. One backup I really like. So between these 3 i put us at ACC average.

LB - one has his weaknesses but a ton of PT and a tackling machine. One should be starting and i really like. The other no PT. Primary backups just a little PT but potential. So again a bit iffy. I put the starting 3 at ACC just above avg. but the whole unit isnt deep with reliable entities.

S - one really good one. One i think we will find is a thumper and needs to play in the box more. I like them both alot. This is a top 1/3 S crew in the ACC. DEPTH is a concern

Db. One is perfect for the nickel. One is perfect for boundary. One is an bit of an unknown but athletic. Depth a comcern. Probably ACC avg.

For me as a acc unit we should expect to finish top 5 or 6 in the ACC IF NO MAJOR injuries. But if you really look at the roster we are paper thin with reliable experienced depth.

If we go rather unscathed with injuries ie only one game here or there missing a guy and we finish below 5 or so in the acc in total D, points, points per drive etc then imo we underachieved a ton. The starting guys are not worse than that.