#GTCamp20 Coverage

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Sunshine is Peery. He was hand picked by Collins and can make every throw. With our RB and WR group all we need is a QB who can hit every quadrant of the field. If Sims grabs the job by the neck then great. If not Peery is the guy.
Don't count out Gleason. Quinlan said on the Chuck Oliver show that he can make every throw and has great touch. He's also 6'3 220 which is the type of QB that CDP loves.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Sunshine is Peery. He was hand picked by Collins and can make every throw. With our RB and WR group all we need is a QB who can hit every quadrant of the field. If Sims grabs the job by the neck then great. If not Peery is the guy.
Gleason? He was also hand picked and the dude is a baller. Good pocket awareness, makes all the throws, and it’s been said he’s very football smart. I think he ends up being the starter this year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I hate to sound like a whiny manchild but damnit man with the lack of new apparel and the lack of social media, coach Collins whining about fielding QB room questions I just really am not feeling very motivated at the moment. Let down...
The QB question doesn’t really bother me. I wouldn’t show any cards, ever. This became some sort of lightning rod issue with a faction of our fanbase for some reason. Did anyone really expect CGC would be different?

The lack of apparel I’m become accustomed to. It wasn’t Russell, it’s GT. Small market, inexperienced people in charge That don’t understand what sells to our base, etc. This will not change anytime soon unless we have a dedicated effort to fix it by hiring our way out of it.

The social media, I think it boils down to having scarce resources. As Head Coach no matter how much energy you have you’re balancing the Team needs (player selection, game plans, practice/work outs, academics, etc), recruiting (have to be spending more time on it because of how we’re doing), then finally you got to manage your social media presence. I think the first 2 are just running us out of time with the latter.

We’re not some football factory juggernaught with an effective and well oiled media Team. It shows. CGC can only carry so many things on his back. I think he has the priorities right: Recruiting, Team, Media & in last place is apparel.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hate to sound like a whiny manchild but damnit man with the lack of new apparel and the lack of social media, coach Collins whining about fielding QB room questions I just really am not feeling very motivated at the moment. Let down...
I agree that the news from camp is almost like getting inside scoop from the CIA. Last year we had everyday hype that had me thinking our team might actually be pretty good. That bubble was quickly deflated, but the contrast is still dramatic. I was wondering why that is the case and came up with a few ideas:

1- The staff does not want to build up hopes for a season that might still be canceled.
2- They want to arrive well under the radar of future opponents, if possible.
3- The news isn't all that great and best not to make a lot of noise right now.
4- COVID-19 and BLM have robbed all the sports news bandwidth and the media hasn't shown much interest.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’d expect nothing less than scarce media coverage. I don’t view it as anything out of the ordinary at the moment.
However the lack of quality fan gear is frustrating as hell. We are on year 3 with adidas and I have yet to see ANY item I would pay money for.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I’d expect nothing less than scarce media coverage. I don’t view it as anything out of the ordinary at the moment.
However the lack of quality fan gear is frustrating as hell. We are on year 3 with adidas and I have yet to see ANY item I would pay money for.
No offense, but if you can't find one adidas item that you like, it doesn't sound like adidas is the problem to me. It sounds like you are just picky as hell.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
No offense, but if you can't find one adidas item that you like, it doesn't sound like adidas is the problem to me. It sounds like you are just picky as hell.
Probably. I’m more into the jerseys mainly and they all suck imo. Nothing I’d pay that much money for so far.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Finding something isn't the problem. I have plenty of Adidas GT gear. The issue is the lack of new gear. Gold and white gear. I see new swag from our coaches and players every press conference but we can't get an ATL shirt or a Big T shirt.. i bought the shoes, the blue jersey, the white jersey and all that. I want new stuff.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that the news from camp is almost like getting inside scoop from the CIA. Last year we had everyday hype that had me thinking our team might actually be pretty good. That bubble was quickly deflated, but the contrast is still dramatic. I was wondering why that is the case and came up with a few ideas:

1- The staff does not want to build up hopes for a season that might still be canceled.
2- They want to arrive well under the radar of future opponents, if possible.
3- The news isn't all that great and best not to make a lot of noise right now.
4- COVID-19 and BLM have robbed all the sports news bandwidth and the media hasn't shown much interest.

My opinion is that last year, the main focus for Collins and staff was to build a brand and show the world that GT was no longer an option team and was now a destination that athletes all over the country should want to be a part of.

They highlighted how much fun they were having (GoT themed practices...etc), they highlighted the fact that we were in shotgun, we are a program that prepares you for the NFL, we throw the ball...etc.

IMO, they knew we were going to suck, but wanted to take advantage of the transition and bring the focus on fun and set the correct expectations.

My gold colored opinion of this off-season and camp is that we might actually be pretty good this year so they/Collins are keeping things closer to the best. The man said he learned a lot about how to run a program from Saban. How much do you think he gives to the media in terms of what is going on in practice? As little as possible.

I will agree that COVID and lack of media access at practice has played into this as well though.