#GTCamp20 Coverage

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What do y’all not understand about building a program? Some of you act like this is our year to win a Natty. We need to play all QB’s to see who steps forward in game action. This is the year to do it because like the old saying goes - if you have four you have none. I want to have a legit P5 QB in one year from today when GT football steps back into relevance.
Can you name some other successful program builds that relied on a round robin QB rotation for multiple years?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
ZERO programs.

When Bowden took over at FSU they were unranked and weren't very good his first year. The next three years he had a 2-headed QB system and they ended those three seasons ranked 14th in the AP, then unranked but went 8-3, then finished 6th in the AP. So your "ZERO programs" is inaccurate. FSU was built that way. However, I think that is an exception rather than a rule AND Bowden did not set out to run a 2-qb system. It just worked out that way and Bowden was smart enough to use his guys in a way that helped build them into a powerhouse. As soon as those two guys were gone he went to a single starting QB situation.

As for GT I think this fear of building our program with a round-robin QB system is just something else to argue about. Patenaude's history doesn't show he wants to do that and the times he has are when nobody has shown they can consistently get the job done and he rotates them until someone does stand out and then he goes with that guy. At Temple his first year they had nobody step up and lead at that position and neither Logan Marchi nor Frank Nutile stepped up and set the world on fire. I don't think either of them did enough to be thought of as even starting a small campfire. In the second year it didn't take long for Anthony Russo to establish himself as the single starter. Arguably last year we had even a worse QB situation than Patenaude inherited at Temple and this year, while I think we have clearly more talent at the position, we have very little experience (even Graham isn't super experienced). Even at Coastal Carolina he very clearly stuck with a single QB system. So history says that if one guy takes the reins then Patenaude will stick with him.

BTW don't mistake this for me being a fan of Dave Patenaude. I'm not. He has not won me over. I was concerned about his hiring and I still am. But more because of his lack of D1 experience, not because of the system he runs and certainly not because of any fear that he would run a round robin QB system.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don’t think we ideally want to run that. We’ll vet our guys for the first few games and see who wins out, just like last year. Only this year we don’t have 3 guys with wildly different styles, it’s more about who can consistently handle what our offense will be running

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t think we ideally want to run that. We’ll vet our guys for the first few games and see who wins out, just like last year. Only this year we don’t have 3 guys with wildly different styles, it’s more about who can consistently handle what our offense will be running

I'd expect we'd give any ATL QBs an opportunity in spot drives here and there, but if whoever we think is the guy going into the season is getting the job done, we'll keep them as the QB unless we've got mop up duty. The problem with last year in this regard is that no one was really ready. We started TO at Clemson largely because he had at least learned how to manage a game and be the QB with the pressure under him albeit in a different system. We needed that at the time. JG was coming in at a bigger disadvantage needed to regain eligibility, and until LJ got hurt it wasn't clear that JG had earned the spot as full-time starter, so he wasn't. We saw very little of Yates until he had a chance to play when there was nothing on the line even though he had made it as an ATL player. This is what I expect more of, but if no one clearly takes the reigns we may have to swap them out at first.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Is there a reason that we can't vet them in practice like every other program in the country? We need to pick a guy and go with him. None of our guys are ever going to improve or get in a comfort zone if we keep rotating them.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
When Bowden took over at FSU they were unranked and weren't very good his first year. The next three years he had a 2-headed QB system and they ended those three seasons ranked 14th in the AP, then unranked but went 8-3, then finished 6th in the AP. So your "ZERO programs" is inaccurate. FSU was built that way. However, I think that is an exception rather than a rule AND Bowden did not set out to run a 2-qb system. It just worked out that way and Bowden was smart enough to use his guys in a way that helped build them into a powerhouse. As soon as those two guys were gone he went to a single starting QB situation.

As for GT I think this fear of building our program with a round-robin QB system is just something else to argue about. Patenaude's history doesn't show he wants to do that and the times he has are when nobody has shown they can consistently get the job done and he rotates them until someone does stand out and then he goes with that guy. At Temple his first year they had nobody step up and lead at that position and neither Logan Marchi nor Frank Nutile stepped up and set the world on fire. I don't think either of them did enough to be thought of as even starting a small campfire. In the second year it didn't take long for Anthony Russo to establish himself as the single starter. Arguably last year we had even a worse QB situation than Patenaude inherited at Temple and this year, while I think we have clearly more talent at the position, we have very little experience (even Graham isn't super experienced). Even at Coastal Carolina he very clearly stuck with a single QB system. So history says that if one guy takes the reins then Patenaude will stick with him.

BTW don't mistake this for me being a fan of Dave Patenaude. I'm not. He has not won me over. I was concerned about his hiring and I still am. But more because of his lack of D1 experience, not because of the system he runs and certainly not because of any fear that he would run a round robin QB system.
Nice response. As with anything in life there are outliers such as JeT and Matt Jordan, but consistently great programs have THE GUY and only bring in the backup when absolutely necessary or during scrub time. All Im saying.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sure I can. Ga Tech in 2012. We had Tevin Washington and Vad Lee. Then in 2013 we had Vad and Justin Thomas
Tevin was the unequivocal stater in 2012 until we lost to MTSU and Vad started getting a little more playing time. Vad was the unequivocal starter in 2013. JT didn't even throw a pass until the 5th game of the season. These situations aren't nearly the same as lets throw one guy out there for a series and then another guy the next series so we can evaluate them for the future.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you’re all wrong with this QB speculation. Maybe the coaches know the clear cut pick of theirs and they just won’t tell us and we find out gameday.
Or maybe I’m wrong and maybe we play musical QBs again.

but one thing is for sure...WE PLAY FOOTBALL IN JUST ABOUT TWO WEEKS! HOTDAMN FELLAS

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I hope that fair competition will give the coaches a clear choice for a QB. Sometimes when the competition is very close and the players have a definite favorite it is best t go with the players choice. As a coach I have had to choose a QB about two dozen times and I learned to listen to player's preference when the competition was close. Players know players.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a reason that we can't vet them in practice like every other program in the country? We need to pick a guy and go with him. None of our guys are ever going to improve or get in a comfort zone if we keep rotating them.
I bet they have a pretty solid idea from practice, but those bright lights sure can affect people differently. We’ll see who can make the plays when it counts, then ride with him

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
The wrench is that the two freshmen qb’s are more athletic and have a better scheme fit than the two sophomores.

Gleason can make all the throws in the pocket, unlike Yates, is bigger and just as fast.
Sims has the electricity of Graham and his a more refined passer.

Sooo.......

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Can you name some other successful program builds that relied on a round robin QB rotation for multiple years?

Several other posters have already pointed out several teams who were way ahead of where we are right now who had to play multiple QB’s to find the one. I’m as optimistic as any and I’m a rah rah guy. I was for Johnson and now for Collins. But I’m also a realist and knowledgeable fan. Our kicking game and QB play were just about the worst in all P5 last season. Right now today, GT football is an afterthought on the national level and we were the definition of a dumpster fire last season for many reasons. Collins has us on the right track but this program build will take more than 2 recruiting cycles. Want To know why Satterfield had more success in year 1 at Louisville? Because he took over a program with some solid pieces in place. Collins took over a program that had very few solid pieces and had been using a slot WR as a QB for 2 straight seasons. Right now, TODAY, GT football does not have a QB. Think about that- we don’t have 1 and we didn‘t have 1 last year. I’m not disparaging any one player I’m looking at it from a program perspective. We had no pipeline of guys ready to go so once Johnson retired we were doomed for at least 2 seasons at the QB position. We have 4 good looking prospects with Sunshine waiting on deck so this season is an open tryout at the QB position and GT football will be better off for it when we actually have a chance to win the Coastal. I wish one of the three from last year would have stepped forwarded but no one did so Collins has to recruit GT out of this hole. Hopefully, one of the four steps up this year.

I’m enjoying watching the program build because I know what’s in the future for GT football. The losses don’t hurt right now because those programs are built on a firmer foundation than ours is today. That is changing and the future will be here soon enough.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Several other posters have already pointed out several teams who were way ahead of where we are right now who had to play multiple QB’s to find the one. I’m as optimistic as any and I’m a rah rah guy. I was for Johnson and now for Collins. But I’m also a realist and knowledgeable fan. Our kicking game and QB play were just about the worst in all P5 last season. Right now today, GT football is an afterthought on the national level and we were the definition of a dumpster fire last season for many reasons. Collins has us on the right track but this program build will take more than 2 recruiting cycles. Want To know why Satterfield had more success in year 1 at Louisville? Because he took over a program with some solid pieces in place. Collins took over a program that had very few solid pieces and had been using a slot WR as a QB for 2 straight seasons. Right now, TODAY, GT football does not have a QB. Think about that- we don’t have 1 and we didn‘t have 1 last year. I’m not disparaging any one player I’m looking at it from a program perspective. We had no pipeline of guys ready to go so once Johnson retired we were doomed for at least 2 seasons at the QB position. We have 4 good looking prospects with Sunshine waiting on deck so this season is an open tryout at the QB position and GT football will be better off for it when we actually have a chance to win the Coastal. I wish one of the three from last year would have stepped forwarded but no one did so Collins has to recruit GT out of this hole. Hopefully, one of the four steps up this year.

I’m enjoying watching the program build because I know what’s in the future for GT football. The losses don’t hurt right now because those programs are built on a firmer foundation than ours is today. That is changing and the future will be here soon enough.
You obviously don't want anyone not recruited by Collins to play anymore. That is fine. What I can't figure out is why you keep pushing this nonsense QB rotation party instead of just advocating for one of the new guys directly. Just push for Sims or Gleason to win the job. Just maybe they will develop quickly and we can be a competitive team this year. If we are rotating them along with the other two guys, we have almost no chance to be competitive and I'm not sure we will be in a better spot going into 2021. Again, there is a reason no one does this. At least, no one in the last 45 years.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You obviously don't want anyone not recruited by Collins to play anymore. That is fine. What I can't figure out is why you keep pushing this nonsense QB rotation party instead of just advocating for one of the new guys directly. Just push for Sims or Gleason to win the job. Just maybe they will develop quickly and we can be a competitive team this year. If we are rotating them along with the other two guys, we have almost no chance to be competitive and I'm not sure we will be in a better spot going into 2021. Again, there is a reason no one does this. At least, no one in the last 45 years.
This is not directed solely to you, but your post is the last in the QB discussion.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I hope but do not necessarily expect that we'll ride one guy in the first few games (provided we play a few games).

Our QB room is:
  1. James Graham - Redshirt Soph - 4* ATH - emphasis on athlete - we were his only P5 offer for QB, and he has 1/2 of a season of experience
  2. Jordan Yates - Redshirt Frosh - 3/4* QB - minimal game experience
  3. Jeff Sims - True Frosh - 3/4* QB
  4. Tucker Gleason - True Frosh - 3* QB
So what do we have?
  1. On the ratings, I know many like to cherry pick the recruiting site with the higher rating; I am just sharing that there is no consensus 4* QB on the roster if you consider both Rivals and 247.
  2. Lack of seasoning/experience
  3. 2nd year new scheme
  4. No consistency on the OL

Mix it all up and you get a tailor-made recipe for inconsistency and little success at the P5 level. That is coaching/scheme aside.

Now, will I psych myself up with offseason koolaid and believe that we have the second coming QB room before the first game? Absolutely. But realistically on paper we have a slightly above average ACC QB room that still needs to find its sea legs. I hope someone separates in a good way, but there aren't many examples of borderline 3/4* talent coming in game 1, making great reads and slinging it all over without far greater support.