#GTCamp20 Coverage

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
All right, enough of the coyness. Is that a word? It's not highlighted so I guess so.

What are Tahj Boyd vibes and can you catch it if toilet water splashes on you. Asking for a friend.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
$$ and raise you another $$. They are a $$$$ football program.

This year is when it is time for the GT big $K folks to donate something. Thanks to all the season ticket holders who passed on tix that donated their bucks. Programs with strong donor support are going to separate through this mess - some programs will likely never recover and others will take years.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
NFL Head Coaches live and die on the backs of their starting QBs. Not that the other positions are unimportant but there’s a reason it’s rare winning a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

Fixed that for you.

Not so true in college. NFL offensive lines are all good, so QB can be a huge difference (although good LTs make about as much money). The biggest difference in college teams is in the trenches. As evidenced by the discussions on this board, most fans just watch the ball and don't know what those guys numbered 50-79 do. Last year should have shown people how important the OL is, but it didn't register with many of them.

Said it before and I'll say it again: I'll give you an average FBS OL and the best FBS QB, and you give me the best FBS OL and an average QB, and everything else being equal, I'll beat you every time.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Fixed that for you.

Not so true in college. NFL offensive lines are all good, so QB can be a huge difference (although good LTs make about as much money). The biggest difference in college teams is in the trenches. As evidenced by the discussions on this board, most fans just watch the ball and don't know what those guys numbered 50-79 do. Last year should have shown people how important the OL is, but it didn't register with many of them.

Said it before and I'll say it again: I'll give you an average FBS OL and the best FBS QB, and you give me the best FBS OL and an average QB, and everything else being equal, I'll beat you every time.
Can't really argue your last paragraph. Very true.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Yep, Curry caught ducking into the trash 🙄.
On the other hand, right guard got two blocks and did a nice job
5/10
RG should be stepping how the others step and should have shoulders parallel to LOS. This is the difference in turning it into big play. Instead, he is late to helping the RT waiting for the center to take over. It's more important to stretch the defense here and that means making the end respect contain by having the runner feint outside while also blocking the DE out. The more the stretch, the more it shakes out for the runner and OL on who has who. Number advantages are there (3 on 3 with a free runner) so it doesn't matter too much to wait around trying to help the center. He should remain on his track until he meets either the DE or the LB filling the gap.

slugboy

Staff member
New England will put your theory to the test in the coming season.
New England year in and year out reloads and rebuilds their offensive line. I looked, and 2012 and 2013 were the only two recent years that they didn't draft an offensive lineman. Often, they draft multiple linemen. Even with Tom Brady at his peak, they played well offensively when he was out for any reason and usually win. For the vast majority of NFL teams, if their starting QB is out, they're probably losing.
This is GT Camp coverage, but on recruiting I'll say a couple of things as a non-expert.
  1. Recruiting to build the lines are two of the most important things we can do. On offense, we're doing fairly well. On defense, we're doing well on the edges and we need to build up in the interior. I wish we were going faster, but I can see the effort there. (This is where the New England "always make sure you take care of the line" philosophy comes back to GT-related topics)
  2. We're recruiting a lot of LB and Safety types for defense and special teams, which should help in the third phase of the game. Kickoffs and kick returns should start looking better soon.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
5/10
RG should be stepping how the others step and should have shoulders parallel to LOS. This is the difference in turning it into big play. Instead, he is late to helping the RT waiting for the center to take over. It's more important to stretch the defense here and that means making the end respect contain by having the runner feint outside while also blocking the DE out. The more the stretch, the more it shakes out for the runner and OL on who has who. Number advantages are there (3 on 3 with a free runner) so it doesn't matter too much to wait around trying to help the center. He should remain on his track until he meets either the DE or the LB filling the gap.
This is why I like this message board. Not all the bickering.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
New England year in and year out reloads and rebuilds their offensive line. I looked, and 2012 and 2013 were the only two recent years that they didn't draft an offensive lineman. Often, they draft multiple linemen. Even with Tom Brady at his peak, they played well offensively when he was out for any reason and usually win. For the vast majority of NFL teams, if their starting QB is out, they're probably losing.
This is GT Camp coverage, but on recruiting I'll say a couple of things as a non-expert.
  1. Recruiting to build the lines are two of the most important things we can do. On offense, we're doing fairly well. On defense, we're doing well on the edges and we need to build up in the interior. I wish we were going faster, but I can see the effort there. (This is where the New England "always make sure you take care of the line" philosophy comes back to GT-related topics)
  2. We're recruiting a lot of LB and Safety types for defense and special teams, which should help in the third phase of the game. Kickoffs and kick returns should start looking better soon.
You have perfectly put my sentiments into words. I believe it was Matt Castle (maybe) that took New England to playoffs maybe even Superbowl the year Brady was out.

But yes if Collins can land us good lines, then GT can be a powerhouse again. He seems to be a pretty darn good recruiter so far.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You have perfectly put my sentiments into words. I believe it was Matt Castle (maybe) that took New England to playoffs maybe even Superbowl the year Brady was out.

But yes if Collins can land us good lines, then GT can be a powerhouse again. He seems to be a pretty darn good recruiter so far.

You're right it was Matt Cassel. He hadn't started a football game at QB since HS (he was behind both Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer at USC). He led the Pats to a 10-5 record as a starter and the team went 11-5 overall. They missed the playoffs but your point is still completely valid (in fact they were the first 11 win team to miss the playoffs since they expanded the playoffs to 12 teams).

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Fixed that for you.

A good team will only go as far as the QB takes them. LSU has proven that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dabo became a great coach because he’s smart and utilized the resources he had it his disposal. This use of resources led to great player after great player and his staff actually coached them up unlike that school 72 miles away who has wasted resources and talent.
It would appear that Clemson, like Alabama, manages to actually get great talent and get something out of them with player development and sound coaching. I was on the Florida site some time ago and they were discussing the SEC and ACC teams that have historically been the biggest underachievers. (It was a big issue to them since before Spurrier got there Florida had been labeled the biggest underachievers in the SEC, so a sore point with many of the older fans) anyway the general consensus appeared to be that in the SEC the biggest underachievers have been Tennessee and UGA although a few argued for Auburn. In the ACC, they claimed that it was FSU and Miami hands down. Maybe so, but UNC has been wasting talent for years and perhaps some would argue that Virginia Tech still has not filled that infamous trophy case. It is hard to believe with all the talent and resources available to them it will have been 40 years since UGA's last national championship.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I think for us OL and DL are glaring issues when we play the elite programs. Absolutely important to get our program to the next level, especially DL. But not having a dominant OL can be overcome by a good offensive system paired with great quarterback play and skill. Look at Clemson. According to a recent SI article that ranked universities based on players that they’ve put in the NFL over the last decade by position group. Clemson is not in the top 10 for OL. Yet we know how successful they’ve been. Numbers 1 and 2. Notre Dame and Wisconsin.... 2 really good teams that can’t get over the elite hump. They lack speed and skill. Watch Clemson’s final drive against Alabama in the 2016 natty. Quick throws and players making plays. Sure you have to have a solid o-line to neutralize and go toe-toe with bama for 60 mins but you gotta have Elite playmakers.

(Just realized this is off-topic... sorry mods 😐 , feel free to move)

Last edited: