#GTCamp20 Coverage

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
You may very well be correct my friend but I don't like starting this or any other season with that mindset and I bet the staff and team don't think that way as well. I do agree if the train jumps the tracks then begin to think long term but not now, in August. Right now our goal should be to win them all. That also helps in the long term as well!
Well yes the goal is to win them all but I think the staff knows what they have which is a roster with a lot of holes.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Knight is OLB and is already starting. Not a lot of true ILB on the roster ready to take over for #6. He’s going to be the whipping boy of the defense this season and take a lot of negativity from the fans. Although he’s not the best vs the Run Curry is real solid in Pass Coverage which is what you expect from him he’s a former Safety. Quez Jackson is the one you may see take reps from Curry.
Rather have Jerry Howard out there.

In 6 years Curry makes the same mistakes he did in years 3 and 4.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
He’s our best until someone beats him out.
I expect someone will. He has leadership, but he has not put up the numbers a 6th year LB should be putting up. He is as much as a liability as Brant Mitchell in this defense. Collins requires extremely fast decisive LBs for the D. 6'3 230-240lb, sub 4.6 40 LBs.

Otherwise his packages will suffer because a lot rely on speed. I usually relate it to what Dan Quinn was building in Seattle or what he has tried to do in Atlanta.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Knight is OLB and is already starting. Not a lot of true ILB on the roster ready to take over for #6. He’s going to be the whipping boy of the defense this season and take a lot of negativity from the fans. Although he’s not the best vs the Run Curry is real solid in Pass Coverage which is what you expect from him he’s a former Safety. Quez Jackson is the one you may see take reps from Curry.
Why don’t they just tell Curry to pick the hole he thinks he wants and run to the next one over instead?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He’s our best until someone beats him out.

I tend to agree with this. I am not saying that Curry isn't above criticism but we are talking about a guy who has started under 2 different DC's and 2 different HC's. Plus was honorable mention all conference. I do think it is possible for 1 staff to play the wrong guy but find it much more improbable that he could fool 4 different coaches. He has to be doing some things right. But hey, if someone takes the job away from him, then that's fine with me too. I always trust those guys who have real skin in the game moreso than us armchair QB's.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
and he still had 32 more tackles. The point?
Because teams ran the ball down our throat. 4 yards 7 yards. 15 yards. 5 yards... he is expected to get tackles. He did his job. Like I said just because he does his job doesn't mean he is great or a superstar. More of the DLine allowing guys to hit the middle with ease and Curry scrambling to try and slow it down.

He is a solid player, but he wouldn't start on most SEC teams, and maybe only a handful of ACC teams.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I always have the opposite mentality....I never want to see true FR on the field. I always prefer to have equally as athletic but more seasoned upperclassmen in the pipeline. I have been known to make exceptions for Fr like Calvin Johnson or A.Brown or anyone who is unlikely to stay for 4 years before leaving for the league but we haven't been overrun with those types here at Tech. As the saying goes, the further from the ball they (FR) are the better it is.
Different situation when your talking about a guy like Curry, we know exactly what to expect out of him, nothing personal but I’m hoping some freshman puts him on the sideline because he’s a athletic freak And too good to keep off the field

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I love the young man/and his heart but he's too dang slow. Forget him covering a running back out of the backfield. Football all about speed and speed when's games.
He still makes the same terrible decisions game after game, I swear he was better as a true freshman