GT @WF, 2/11/23 Pre and Post Game

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There’s gold colored glasses and then there are blindfolds…I’ll let you guess which he was wearing if he didn’t see a foul there.

There was considerably more contact on the pass to Franklin than Applby’s final shot. Anyone that can rewatch this and not see a foul has an agenda.

The guy pulled Franklin down by the arm.

Again how many times have you ever seen that full court pass in the last second called a foul. Was it by the rule, sure, however it simply doesn’t get called when both players are fighting for the ball.

That’s the reality, not the wishful thinking.

We had a great chance to win that game and simply failed to execute several times in the last stage of the game.

Kids played hard. We are not a high basketball IQ team but the effort and desire is there.

We have roster issues which makes it difficult to match up against many ACC teams. Playing man to man was smart and essential yesterday. Doing so does cause true match up issues. We made some good adjustments as the game went on.

If we play like we did yesterday we have a chance in a couple more games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I see the ACC admitted they screwed up at the end of the game by not calling a foul that would have sent Duke to the line with a chance to win in regulation. Doubt they would have said that if Duke hadn’t lost in OT.

Think we’ll get the same review/announcement from the ACC? F them and their North Carolina teams bias!
If you read closely they said they misinterpreted the rule. A foul was called but the refs said after the clock expired. The rule was misinterpreted by the game officials.

We are not getting a call on Franklin on that full court pass, ever. If the Wake guy tackled him as in a football tackle they might call a foul. Short of that officials aren’t going to call a foul.

Sucks but it reality.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Again how many times have you ever seen that full court pass in the last second called a foul. Was it by the rule, sure, however it simply doesn’t get called when both players are fighting for the ball.

That’s the reality, not the wishful thinking.

We had a great chance to win that game and simply failed to execute several times in the last stage of the game.

Kids played hard. We are not a high basketball IQ team but the effort and desire is there.

We have roster issues which makes it difficult to match up against many ACC teams. Playing man to man was smart and essential yesterday. Doing so does cause true match up issues. We made some good adjustments as the game went on.

If we play like we did yesterday we have a chance in a couple more games.
WF point guard is hard to guard. Duke had trouble with him when they played in Cameron a week or so ago. Got 20 something against them. He is quick and unafraid to take it in the paint. He gets away with palming the ball and walks but he is a handful to stop. Smith did a pretty decent job guarding him overall. We let that game get away from us in the last minute with poor inbound execution and the refs didn't call a couple of fouls. Hard to explain this teams inability to draw fouls.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
WF point guard is hard to guard. Duke had trouble with him when they played in Cameron a week or so ago. Got 20 something against them. He is quick and unafraid to take it in the paint. He gets away with palming the ball and walks but he is a handful to stop. Smith did a pretty decent job guarding him overall. We let that game get away from us in the last minute with poor inbound execution and the refs didn't call a couple of fouls. Hard to explain this teams inability to draw fouls.
Appleby shot 28 FTs against UNC this week making 23. He was 7 of 8 against Duke. There is no ACC ref conspiracy. Better players take more FTs. Guys who get to the basket and can handle contact and/or create shots take a lot more FTs than players that can't. We don't have anyone who is really good at that, Moore has taken the most FTs on our team by far at 75. He does attack the rim. None of our guards shoot FTs in any volume. Kelly has the most attempts, 41 in 25 games. Less than 2 per game. Ouch! Appleby got narly than many is 2 games against UNC and Duke.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anybody else hear the WF assistant screaming "CARRY" during that one possession when Smith was setting up the half-court offense? He yelled it about three or four times at the official when he was standing next to the bench. Of course, the official called it which left Smith dumbfounded as he and I both had no idea that assistant coaches are allowed to dictate what fouls are called. If you look later though, Abblby was carrying MUCH worse than what Smith was called for.

As obvious as the foul was on Franklin, like another font said, that will never be called unless he takes his legs out from under him. As long as the contact stays below the neck and above the knees in that situation, it's going to be fair game. It's definitely wrong, it sucks, and the refs did not "let the kids decide it" as the announcer said they would, but it's basketball. We should be complaining about the fact we let WF back into the game after we had the door shut on them for much of the second half. There's no reason WF should have had a chance to win that game.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As obvious as the foul was on Franklin, like another font said, that will never be called unless he takes his legs out from under him. As long as the contact stays below the neck and above the knees in that situation, it's going to be fair game. It's definitely wrong, it sucks, and the refs did not "let the kids decide it" as the announcer said they would, but it's basketball. We should be complaining about the fact we let WF back into the game after we had the door shut on them for much of the second half. There's no reason WF should have had a chance to win that game.

It's like we were ever up by 10-12 points. The largest lead in the game for us was 7 points, so they were always in the game at the 13 minute mark.

Regarding the final play, in college hoops, clamping someone's arm and holding them is actually considered to be a Flagrant 1 foul. Go back and watch the video and you will see that is exactly what happened. Also, I don't buy the end of game, no-call stuff. The foul called on us on the other end was under the exact same circumstances (final shot / end of game), and they called a touch foul.

We definitely let it slip away, an older team will not allow that to happen, but the refs swallowing their whistle against WF in the final minute definitely aided them.

As I stated, both things can be true at the same time.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding the final play, in college hoops, clamping someone's arm and holding them is actually considered to be a Flagrant 1 foul. Go back and watch the video and you will see that is exactly what happened. Also, I don't buy the end of game, no-call stuff. The foul called on us on the other end was under the exact same circumstances (final shot / end of game), and they called a touch foul.
The difference was 24-8. As soon as I saw the final play, I knew it was a foul just like every single person in that arena knew, the people who saw it on TV knew, and the vast internet world even knew that was a foul. However, when you're getting creamed 24-8 in foul shot disparity, you're not getting that call. I'm not saying we didn't foul them 20 times, resulting in 24 shots, what I am saying is that the game flow was already set and we were never going to get that call. WF shouldn't have gotten the call on the other end, but again, the game flow had already been set.

Sure, our largest lead was only 7, but we also had a 5 point lead with 2 minutes left. Not large by any means, but certainly defendable. Sturdy should have been stronger with the ball on the inbounds, or just look up and see Smith WIDE OPEN for an easy layup/dunk. The guys played hard, but let it slip away. We need to find that killer instinct and finish out these kinds of games.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The difference was 24-8. As soon as I saw the final play, I knew it was a foul just like every single person in that arena knew, the people who saw it on TV knew, and the vast internet world even knew that was a foul. However, when you're getting creamed 24-8 in foul shot disparity, you're not getting that call. I'm not saying we didn't foul them 20 times, resulting in 24 shots, what I am saying is that the game flow was already set and we were never going to get that call. WF shouldn't have gotten the call on the other end, but again, the game flow had already been set.

Sure, our largest lead was only 7, but we also had a 5 point lead with 2 minutes left. Not large by any means, but certainly defendable. Sturdy should have been stronger with the ball on the inbounds, or just look up and see Smith WIDE OPEN for an easy layup/dunk. The guys played hard, but let it slip away. We need to find that killer instinct and finish out these kinds of games.
I completely agree with your second paragraph... killer instinct, strong with the ball when we know fouls are coming, absolutely right.

I am not sure what game flow has to do with fouls getting called or not. A foul is a foul... or should be. How a game has been called for 30 minutes shouldn’t change the criteria for foul calls in the last 10. That said, WF and the officials clearly knew fouls were coming to put GT in the bonus and they called two very quick ones on the same OOB series before Sturdivant was “stripped.” WF intensity didn’t change, but as soon as 6 team fouls were committed, the refs had a harder time blowing the whistle on #7. You’re still right, Sturdivant has to protect the ball and be stronger in that situation but they let them play a whole lot more on the 7th team foul...

I will say that we are notoriously bad as a team at getting to the FT line. We don’t challenge defenses very well. We play late in the shot clock and take contested shots a LOT. That is not a good recipe for getting to the line.

As far as killer instinct and closing out games... I’m not sure our guys really understand where shots should come out of this offense. We tend to find shots early in games and either because of defensive adjustments or lost intensity, we don’t get shots out of the offense later. Several trips late in the WF game, we abandoned offense altogether and played 1on 1 or just high ball screen. I think Pastner makes that adjustment to make sure he has the ball in his best scorers hands but when you have a lead and the basketball, that’s the time when you ought to be able to run your offense, use clock, and get good shots. To me it’s telling that we abandon our offense in that situation... we don’t have confidence in getting good shots out of it. It just feels like we don’t have a real good understanding of what we’re trying to do.