GT @WF, 2/11/23 Pre and Post Game

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Franklin was killed there and they just let it happen. **** them

It was like they felt he was gonna lose it on his own so they swallowed the whistle. But they ignored the fact that he was physically assaulted because .....

I Dont Know Why Film Festival GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It was like they felt he was gonna lose it on his own so they swallowed the whistle. But they ignored the fact that he was physically assaulted because .....

I Dont Know Why Film Festival GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival
Agreed it seemed like he had to make a killer play to catch and get a shot off, but man. The dude was literally draped on him.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We foul a lot and stupidly. Wake doesn't foul nearly as much. Wake has shot 323 on the season GT has shot 170 this season. Not the refs, it's GT BB that is the issue. Only ND has shot fewer FTs than GT and that's by 2. Appleby has taken 33 more FTs than any other ACC player in ACC games. We fouled him a lot as has every other ACC team.

We couldn't get the ball inbounded 3 tries at the end of the game not counting the full court prayer at the end. How the heck can a college team not be able to run an inbound play. The pass to Sturdivant had him catch the ball against the sideline into a double team. That is absurd. He walked long before any potential foul.

Appleby was fouled by Franklin as he started his shooting motion. Clear as day. Not a ref issue. A GT issue!

Kids play hard but not always smart. We also lack the go to player. Wake has one for sure in Appleby.

Sucked to lose a very winnable game.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Meehhhhh....a day late and a dollar short for Pastner. Heartbreaker, but par for the course, go kick rocks Josh

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
We foul a lot and stupidly. Wake doesn't foul nearly as much. Wake has shot 323 on the season GT has shot 170 this season. Not the refs, it's GT BB that is the issue. Only ND has shot fewer FTs than GT and that's by 2. Appleby has taken 33 more FTs than any other ACC player in ACC games. We fouled him a lot as has every other ACC team.

We couldn't get the ball inbounded 3 tries at the end of the game not counting the full court prayer at the end. How the heck can a college team not be able to run an inbound play. The pass to Sturdivant had him catch the ball against the sideline into a double team. That is absurd. He walked long before any potential foul.

Appleby was fouled by Franklin as he started his shooting motion. Clear as day. Not a ref issue. A GT issue!

Kids play hard but not always smart. We also lack the go to player. Wake has one for sure in Appleby.

I seem to remember we did get the ball inbounds three times. Twice they gave a foul and once was a TO. Compare the ticky tacky foul on Appleby at the end to how Franklin was treated on the last play of the game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

We foul more than we should No argument there but that is no excuse for the travesty we experienced at the end of that game. One doesn’t mean the other

Franklin was pulled to the ground. Guess we should have been called for a flop

I saw a totally different play on Sturdivant than you. Fouled which led to a walk. Btw they didn’t call a walk either. No way that was a no call.

I’ll give you the Applebee foul but if we are calling the game by rule on that end then do it by the same rules on the other end.

We can agree on pastners deficiencies but don’t let that blind you to the obvious

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I thought our inability to run good inbounds plays in the last minute were where we lost the game. At least should have drawn fouls but not with those refs. Hey Pastner:. In practice run some inbounds plays with 6 defenders. Maybe you will figure out some better plays. How about some screens.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We foul more than we should No argument there but that is no excuse for the travesty we experienced at the end of that game. One doesn’t mean the other

Franklin was pulled to the ground. Guess we should have been called for a flop

I saw a totally different play on Sturdivant than you. Fouled which led to a walk. Btw they didn’t call a walk either. No way that was a no call.

I’ll give you the Applebee foul but if we are calling the game by rule on that end then do it by the same rules on the other end.

We can agree on pastners deficiencies but don’t let that blind you to the obvious
I disagree with you on the Sturdivant play. I have watched it 15+ times on replay. He was in a double team situation and did a very poor job protecting the ball. The guy to his basket side had his hands on the ball and Sturdivant pushed the ball into him causing it to come free. The guy on to the half court line didn't shove, was there contact, yes Sturdivant turning toward that Wake player and the Wake player moving in close. No pushing that impacted the play. You just can't let yourself get tied up in that spot on the court and hope the refs call a foul.

Have you ever seen a full court heave in the last seconds of a game get a foul called when guys jump/fight for the ball? How many times have you seen PI called on last second of the game Hail Mary passes. A limit approaching zero is the answer. Again you can't hope the refs will bail you out there.

How we couldn't inbound the ball from a made Wake shot and twice from Half Court is the issue, not the refs. We were fortunate to get the foul call on the half court heave to Franklin. It was a foul but it easily could have been a no call. On Smith's drive to give us the lead it was in my opinion a good no call, however it could easily been called an offensive call on Smith.

Refs are not the reason GT lost to Wake. GT's poor play the las minute is the reason.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have watched Sturdivant and saw significant contact. Doesn’t have to be a push to be a foul. Wrong standard.

If the final play is not a foul, I don’t know what to tell you. Whether or not, it was a great play or a high percentage play doesn’t matter. You pull somebody down it’s a foul.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have watched Sturdivant and saw significant contact. Doesn’t have to be a push to be a foul. Wrong standard.

If the final play is not a foul, I don’t know what to tell you. Whether or not, it was a great play or a high percentage play doesn’t matter. You pull somebody down it’s a foul.
There’s gold colored glasses and then there are blindfolds…I’ll let you guess which he was wearing if he didn’t see a foul there.

There was considerably more contact on the pass to Franklin than Applby’s final shot. Anyone that can rewatch this and not see a foul has an agenda.

The guy pulled Franklin down by the arm.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Tell me how many times you have seen a full court pass in the final seconds called a foul? How about how many times you have seen PI called on a last second Hail Mary. Contact including pulling and shoving happens all the time on these plays yet fouls or PI are virtually never called. It's just the way games are officiated. That is NOT going to change. You might not like it but it's reality!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
There’s gold colored glasses and then there are blindfolds…I’ll let you guess which he was wearing if he didn’t see a foul there.

There was considerably more contact on the pass to Franklin than Applby’s final shot. Anyone that can rewatch this and not see a foul has an agenda.

The guy pulled Franklin down by the arm.

My issue is not swallowing the whistle, per se. I prefer the refs swallow the whistle unless things are egregious. my issue is the only time down the stretch that they DIDNT swallow the whistle was to put Appleby on the line to win the game. It probably was a foul but it probably didn’t need to be called there. If you call that, you absolutely must call the foul at the end to let Franklin shoot the bonus.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tell me how many times you have seen a full court pass in the final seconds called a foul? How about how many times you have seen PI called on a last second Hail Mary. Contact including pulling and shoving happens all the time on these plays yet fouls or PI are virtually never called. It's just the way games are officiated. That is NOT going to change. You might not like it but it's reality!
The shot by Applby was under the same circumstances (end of game), yet you seem to be okay with that foul call????

Put your dislike for Josh aside for a moment and call a spade a spade. We got shafted in the last minute of that game no matter how you slice it.

It’s okay to say we let it slip it away, while also saying we got shafted by the refs.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
In the overall scheme of things, this game made little difference (at least that is what I’m telling myself). We are in the bottom 6 of the ACC, and we will be playing on Tuesday in the tournament, whether we won or lost to Wake. What does make a difference to me is that again we played very well. In a fairly officiated game, we wold have won. I hope our SA’s stay positive and keep playing the way that they are now. Maybe we can see a few more wins.

A few days ago I took everyone off my “Ignore” list, and I see that nothing has changed. For some posters, they disappear when we win. But they come out in a flurry when we lose, and see the lost game as validation of their preexisting bias (regardless of what actually happened).

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My issue is not swallowing the whistle, per se. I prefer the refs swallow the whistle unless things are egregious. my issue is the only time down the stretch that they DIDNT swallow the whistle was to put Appleby on the line to win the game. It probably was a foul but it probably didn’t need to be called there. If you call that, you absolutely must call the foul at the end to let Franklin shoot the bonus.
Exactly! If anything Applby created the contact.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like the way the team is playing right now, but I wonder why they didn't play better weeks ago. Still, this team is very competitive at this point.

These games may be what gives Pastner another chance. The team has his back and I could see Batt gently letting the hammer settle down until the AA financial situation improves. There will be significant turnover inside, so we could be a good landing spot for transfer bugs.

I don't think Pastner survives, but I am not as sure as I was earlier.