GT @WF, 2/11/23 Pre and Post Game

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few days ago I took everyone off my “Ignore” list, and I see that nothing has changed. For some posters, they disappear when we win. But they come out in a flurry when we lose, and see the lost game as validation of their preexisting bias (regardless of what actually happened).
Funny - I did too, but I see that was a mistake.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
regardless of the loss I am happy to see the play from our guys over the last 3 games. We have two home games this week, one of them we will win (if we lose to Florida Tech then Pastner will be ejected from McCamish into outer space) and the other we have a chance. Hopefully nobody transfers because we have a nice young core, they just gotta learn and develop. (Oh and we also need a big man, that too.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I like the way the team is playing right now, but I wonder why they didn't play better weeks ago. Still, this team is very competitive at this point.

This is what Ive been thinking these past few games. Not going down my typical anti-Pastner road. It's a legit question though. Maybe it was Terry being out. But they do appear to be going away from Princeton offense all the time, to their benefit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tell me how many times you have seen a full court pass in the final seconds called a foul? How about how many times you have seen PI called on a last second Hail Mary. Contact including pulling and shoving happens all the time on these plays yet fouls or PI are virtually never called. It's just the way games are officiated. That is NOT going to change. You might not like it but it's reality!
No, not the same thing as jockeying for position on a jump ball. This is a clear case of the defender grabbing the receiver, not playing the ball. That call is made almost every time. Franklin was fouled.

The kid who recovered the ball after Sturdivant was fouled (I watched it 15+ times too and every time he was fouled by the same two players) slid 2 feet on his butt while holding the ball, before calling the time-out.

While I admit bias in this situation, these are clear and irrefutable.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is what Ive been thinking these past few games. Not going down my typical anti-Pastner road. It's a legit question though. Maybe it was Terry being out. But they do appear to be going away from Princeton offense all the time, to their benefit.
I was thinking about this as well. You sort of answered the question in that we adjusted the offense to something that better fits and undersized team without a center to focus an offense around. The tempo is noticeably faster and the spacing is further from the rim. Franklins screens are close to the 3 point line now. And the ball is staying with our guards and wings a lot more. We are playing to Devion’s strengths in particular but all our perimeter guys now have more room to work and a generally cleaner lane

Not sure our defense is any better but generally it improves if your offense and shot selection improve. I still want us to quit switching the first high ball screen though. Drives me nuts

Unfortunately for Pastner those changes should have been seen and made in preseason

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was thinking about this as well. You sort of answered the question in that we adjusted the offense to something that better fits and undersized team without a center to focus an offense around. The tempo is noticeably faster and the spacing is further from the rim. Franklins screens are close to the 3 point line now. And the ball is staying with our guards and wings a lot more. We are playing to Devion’s strengths in particular but all our perimeter guys now have more room to work and a generally cleaner lane

Not sure our defense is any better but generally it improves if your offense and shot selection improve. I still want us to quit switching the first high ball screen though. Drives me nuts

Unfortunately for Pastner those changes should have been seen and made in preseason

To me, the biggest change has been JaVon giving us production in the paint, and Rodney being planted on the bench.

For the past three weeks, Franklin has been a monster. Pair that with Deivon seemingly taking a step forward, and Lance coming back strong after the hamstring, and there you have it.

No doubt, there have been some tweaks to the offensive sets, we’re running more pick and roll, but the offense has been largely the same, we’re just going at a faster pace and sharing the ball more.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I see the ACC admitted they screwed up at the end of the game by not calling a foul that would have sent Duke to the line with a chance to win in regulation. Doubt they would have said that if Duke hadn’t lost in OT.

Think we’ll get the same review/announcement from the ACC? F them and their North Carolina teams bias!

JacketsSports

Georgia Tech Fan
To me, the biggest change has been JaVon giving us production in the paint, and Rodney being planted on the bench.

For the past three weeks, Franklin has been a monster. Pair that with Deivon seemingly taking a step forward, and Lance coming back strong after the hamstring, and there you have it.

No doubt, there have been some tweaks to the offensive sets, we’re running more pick and roll, but the offense has been largely the same, we’re just going at a faster pace and sharing the ball more.
Absolutely agree 1000+ with everything here esp on Franklin's production. I believe that's the biggest reason we have been playing well as of late. Unfortunately, Howard has just not taken a step forward this year and his contribution at this pt is really to come in and spell Franklin for a few minutes. It's also unfortunate for CJP to realize this at this pt in the season. I truly believe with better coaching this same team could possibly have 3 - 4 more ACC victories. To his credit, CJP is still very passionate and trying his best to make the team better. It's just taking longer than it should.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I see the ACC admitted they screwed up at the end of the game by not calling a foul that would have sent Duke to the line with a chance to win in regulation. Doubt they would have said that if Duke hadn’t lost in OT.

Think we’ll get the same review/announcement from the ACC? F them and their North Carolina teams bias!
There was no misapplication of the rule book in our situation unlike the Duke/UVA situation where a made foul call was wiped off the board.

Also let's not delude ourselves into thinking Wake Forest is some ACC favoritism darling just because they are in the same state as UNC and Duke. They are somewhere around 10th or 11th priority along with us.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
We need one more ACC win to avoid being the worst GT team in the last 42 years. Louisville is our best chance. This will likely require the biggest Tech rebuild in the last half century.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
In the overall scheme of things, this game made little difference (at least that is what I’m telling myself). We are in the bottom 6 of the ACC, and we will be playing on Tuesday in the tournament, whether we won or lost to Wake. What does make a difference to me is that again we played very well. In a fairly officiated game, we wold have won. I hope our SA’s stay positive and keep playing the way that they are now. Maybe we can see a few more wins.

A few days ago I took everyone off my “Ignore” list, and I see that nothing has changed. For some posters, they disappear when we win. But they come out in a flurry when we lose, and see the lost game as validation of their preexisting bias (regardless of what actually happened).
Yep I say that all the time.... you can count on them like the clock strikes noon daily. Like roaches coming out at night

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever seen a full court heave in the last seconds of a game get a foul called when guys jump/fight for the ball? How many times have you seen PI called on last second of the game Hail Mary passes. A limit approaching zero is the answer. Again you can't hope the refs will bail you out there.
You're right here but what you normally see is incidental contact, not flagrantly grabbing a guy's arm and driving him to the ground. Now that we all know what's permissable on thse types of plays, it should be no problem grabbing or knocking someone over or flat out tackling them should it ever happen to us in the future.

We played some really dumb ball the last minute and it ultimately cost us the game. However, the last play was just the cherry on top of a game chocked full of no calls on Wake that systematically bailed them out for 40 mins.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It’s okay to say we let it slip it away, while also saying we got shafted by the refs.
Coaching rule, "Never put your team in position to let the refs decide it for you. They will."

with the caveat, it usually pi$$e$ you off when they do.

I like Josh. I'd also like to see a fresh prospective for our program.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Heck, if you don't figure it out in the preseason at least figure it out before February.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I deal in facts. The last time Tech's ACC winning percentage was below 11% was 42 years ago.
There are teams in the modern NCAA going 2-24 one season, getting a new coach, 14 new transfers in, and making the NCAA Tournament the following year and making it to the Top 10 the following season. Let's get off the ledge a bit.

This is basketball, not football - 1 or 2 fresh faces (even true freshmen) can transform your program. There is no shortage of hungry would-be transfers from mid majors who would love to get a shot in the ACC and make the most of it.

Correction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Iowa_State_Cyclones_men's_basketball_team Iowa State was actually top 10 within a month and a half following their 2-22 season.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Interesting you mention the Princeton offense.I watched Air Force ( 7-14) play vs their league leaders (17-7) and run the Princeton Off.They (AF) got more backdoor cut baskets in 3 minutes than we get in a whole game. Just weak coaching by JP. Do better with it or go to something else.