GT vs. UVA 2/21

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I found the point interesting that GT's 3-point FG % allowed is higher than the team with the best 3-point FG% in the country. It gives credence to Partner's claim that a lot of it is just bad luck, teams shooting super hot against them. Some teams couldn't shoot that high against no defense.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I found the point interesting that GT's 3-point FG % allowed is higher than the team with the best 3-point FG% in the country. It gives credence to Partner's claim that a lot of it is just bad luck, teams shooting super hot against them. Some teams couldn't shoot that high against no defense.
I think some of our younger players are learning about the kind of D necessary in the ACC. I think we aren’t playing well enough to stop opponents’ three point shooting. But still VERY proud of their effort and hustle tonight. They haven’t given up, and that’s what I was afraid of.

Deleted member 2897

Exactly. Our defense there has not been good at times - but guys shooting 60% is just stupid. I still haven’t forgotten Clemson, where we were standing at the line and so they just shot from 6-8 feet behind the line and made them anyway. Stupid.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Since Cole and Wright were getting special instruction and not practicing with the team full time, I wonder if it is just taking time for the team to work together and start to gel with the new lineup.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cole and Wright are playing light years better than the beginning of the year. Still not great - especially on D - but much better.

Tonight we saw the old Lammers and the team from last year. Lammers was back in the role he knows on O and D. Cole and Wright played well enough to keep the lane reasonably clear resulting in AD getting 3 minutes. How much is feeling better and how much is back in the role he knows - who knows :D

Defense wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. In man, we have Lammers switch way too easy and they were really good at making us pay in the paint.

Regardless of my nits, way better effort and results tonight. I can watch that team with only a jigger of bourbon - doesn't take a whole bottle. :eek:

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
It was nice to see Lammers and Jackson play like the seniors they are. Virginia is a very good team, we have nothing to be ashamed of. They just have a few more weapons than us. We'll get there eventually. Jackson at the point most of the time is a better decision.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I like Tadric at PG. He’s the type of player that requires touches to be involved in the game, and having him play PG just makes sense with where we’re at imo. Wish JO was a little more assertive, but hopefully we see this version of the team the rest of the season.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="YlJacket, post: 402601, member: 2784"

Tonight we saw the old Lammers and the team from last year. Lammers was back in the role he knows on O and D.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t get to see the game. Did we use Ben differently, or did he just play better, or both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We used Lammers as the 5 on offense and he operated primarily around the foul line with some roll/post action around the block. There was no AD on the court to either force Ben to the wing or have his defender ignore him and clog the middle. Playing Wright and Cole (together and separately) was enough to allow him to go back to what we saw him do last year. He also seemed to move about as well as he did last year - no apparent impact of his ankle/knee injuries.

He was too quick for Salt and ate him alive. And the others they threw at him didn't stop his midrange or Dirk moves from the block. Not a lot of double teaming but both how he played physically and how he played in the offense looked like last year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
AD with only 3 minutes played. Anyone know if he is injured or if the staff just realized that that was what was effecting Big Bens play the last 10 games.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
AD with only 3 minutes played. Anyone know if he is injured or if the staff just realized that that was what was effecting Big Bens play the last 10 games.
AD was not hurt - mostly a match up decision. AD's style of play is not suited well vs. UVA defense. UVA makes it hard to penetrate and you MUST move the ball quickly/decisively to get open shots ... not AD's strength (he struggled against them first time, and offense ground to a halt because of this). UVA usually doubles (quickly) any big that gets the ball in the low post - forcing him to make good decisions on who to kick it out to.
Wright's skill set was our best match-up ... he did some good things and some bad things - but overall happy with what I saw from him at this stage.

As others already said - could not be more happy with the effort they gave and how they tried to play as a team last night. UVA just has more weapons and we're stretched to play aggressive perimeter defense without Jose and Curtis. UVA got open looks and made a good number of them. Best game by far Ben has played since UCLA.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If AD really was affecting Ben's play that much and it took them 10 games to figure it out, that's an issue.

I don't think it took 10 games to figure out. I think we knew when we made the decision to go with AD in the post that the move hurt Ben's production. The move was made because the combination was better in total than having AD in there floating around the 3 point line. People were saying we got no production from the 4 and that the lack of a threat was allowing teams basically to just defend 4 guys and it was hurting others, Ben included. If AD is playing then I think the right anser is to have him in the post and hope Ben is hitting his mid range jumpers. Sounds like last night we made a conscious decision that we couldn't really post UVA up and so went away with that. I'm glad with that being made we played Wright and Cole more though.

I think it was the right call against UVA. Not sure if it'd be the right call against most teams though.