GT vs UT prediction

Jmonty71

Banned
I was honestly just goofing off with you. Sarcasm is hard through the internet lol. I was telling a friend neither team really knows what to expect (the fans that is) I could see either team win by double digits or a close game.
You are 100% correct. Why UT is ranked is beyond me. Maybe its just that SEC swag? Either way, we could beat the crap out of UT and I doubt we'd be ranked there after. Just because. Then again the top 25 at the start of the year is just the media throwing crap out there. Go Jackets!

Jmonty71

Banned
Come on guys..you are smarter than this..hate to bust your bubble but UT is wounded (emotionally),UT is young, UT is vulnerable, but our cocky fans will be echoing Rocky Top all through the Bluffs.
UT 31. Got 20
If I was a UT fan and knew my defense was as crappy as yours, I would not be going onto another forum, talking crap. Sorry, UT's awful defense will show. GT will score plenty and control the ball more. I don't expect either team to go past 30. But, hey.... Have fun in your delirium. UT 13 and 0, right? Sounds like some mutt fan, to me.

Madmaxvol

Georgia Tech Fan
If I was a UT fan and knew my defense was as crappy as yours, I would not be going onto another forum, talking crap. Sorry, UT's awful defense will show. GT will score plenty and control the ball more. I don't expect either team to go past 30. But, hey.... Have fun in your delirium. UT 13 and 0, right? Sounds like some mutt fan, to me.

UT's defense was horrible by the end of the year last year. Not sure how much was from the coaching change...but am pretty sure that a lot was due to late injuries. UT's rush defense was particularly bad...but it didn't start out that way. UT's d-line was decimated by the Texas A&M game, and it went down hill from there.

Here is how each game played out for rushing success:

Opponent - Rushing yds vs UT - Season Average Rushing Yards (delta)
Appalachian State - 184 yds - 250.9 avg (66.9 below average)
Virginia Tech - 189 yds - 183 avg (6 above average)
Ohio - 88 yds - 168 avg (80 below average)
Florida - 106 yds - 128 avg (22 below average)
Georgia - 181 yds - 191 avg (10 below average)
aTm - 353 yds - 212 avg (141 above average)
Bama - 458 yds - 245 avg (213 above average)
South Carolina - 158 yds - 134 avg (24 above average)
Tn Tech - 60 yds - 121 average (60 below average)
Kentucky - 443 yds - 234 avg (209 above average)
Missouri - 420 yds - 205 avg (215 above average)
Vanderbilt - 192 yds - 164 avg (28 above average)
Nebraska - 61 - 169 avg (108 below average)

Note how every team was below or right at their average until Texas A&M. After that, the wheels came off with two exceptions...an FCS school...and Vanderbilt (who shredded UT for 400+ passing yards). Once UT's defense got healthy for the bowl game, they turned things back around.

I'm not saying that UT had a great defense last year...but they weren't horrible until around game 6, when the injury bug bit them big time.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-volunteers-total-injuries-2016-season-101816

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These predictions (mine especially) are very rarely accurate. I'm changing my 34-31 (TBD winner) to 31-28 (TBD winner).

I expect a combined 4 turnovers with some points off of turnovers; but where they are makes all the difference. A third down int on a 40 yard pass is as good as a punt. A fumble on your own 20 is another matter altogether.

I think we put the ball on the ground 3 times and lose it once or twice. A big reason we won our opener against BC last year (UT is better than BC) is the +2 in turnovers where we had one fumble. And I think the ball was on the ground 3 times. (Yeah weather was worse but I'm reaching for a justification.) The big reason we beat VT was being +3 there and lost to Miami was being -3 there. http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/255/turnovermargin/gamelog.html So the predictions based on UT winning since we (probably) have a new QB and lost Mills make sense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Deeply disturbing - fear the bees (someone mentioned EDSBS and I couldn't find post to tag): https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2017/8/31/16232734/point-counterpoint-it-just-means-more
59a7ff8d5b227_683x1024.jpg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
UT's defense was horrible by the end of the year last year. Not sure how much was from the coaching change...but am pretty sure that a lot was due to late injuries. UT's rush defense was particularly bad...but it didn't start out that way. UT's d-line was decimated by the Texas A&M game, and it went down hill from there.

Here is how each game played out for rushing success:

Opponent - Rushing yds vs UT - Season Average Rushing Yards (delta)
Appalachian State - 184 yds - 250.9 avg (66.9 below average)
Virginia Tech - 189 yds - 183 avg (6 above average)
Ohio - 88 yds - 168 avg (80 below average)
Florida - 106 yds - 128 avg (22 below average)
Georgia - 181 yds - 191 avg (10 below average)
aTm - 353 yds - 212 avg (141 above average)
Bama - 458 yds - 245 avg (213 above average)
South Carolina - 158 yds - 134 avg (24 above average)
Tn Tech - 60 yds - 121 average (60 below average)
Kentucky - 443 yds - 234 avg (209 above average)
Missouri - 420 yds - 205 avg (215 above average)
Vanderbilt - 192 yds - 164 avg (28 above average)
Nebraska - 61 - 169 avg (108 below average)

Note how every team was below or right at their average until Texas A&M. After that, the wheels came off with two exceptions...an FCS school...and Vanderbilt (who shredded UT for 400+ passing yards). Once UT's defense got healthy for the bowl game, they turned things back around.

I'm not saying that UT had a great defense last year...but they weren't horrible until around game 6, when the injury bug bit them big time.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-volunteers-total-injuries-2016-season-101816

Good points. Tech fans know all too well how an abnormal rash of injuries can decimate a season...see 2015 for us.

That being said go back before aTm...to the UGA game...UGA rushed for their average. And UT had to pull a win from their aholes on a Hail Mary play. Common opponent, uga rushed good against both our teams. Both games were nail bighters. Not many reasons for either fan base to predict blowing the other out.

Oh yeah....ACC is better than SEC now. Before wasting your time arguing...see last year head to head ACC v SEC, bowl records, and ACC/SEC records vs power 5. That SEC No-speed is gonna kill y'all.:cool:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GoVols247 staff picks: Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech

Partial quotes
Though the optimism around Tennessee seems to have waned as we’ve gotten closer to the opener, I’m still picking the Vols in this one. Despite the injuries at linebacker, the Vols should feel confident in their defensive preparation and game plan against the option.

I think Tennessee will get enough out of its ground game with the offensive line and John Kelly to score just enough points and do just enough to get out of Atlanta with a victory. TENNESSEE 29, GEORGIA TECH 26

But I still think Tennessee is the more talented team, and the Vols’ offense — despite its question marks going into the season — should be able to score enough points to pull out a relatively close game to open the year. TENNESSEE 34, GEORGIA TECH 24

Still, at the end of the day, the Vols have the talent advantage — seemingly by a large margin — and have had an entire offseason to prepare for Tech's unique offensive scheme. TENNESSEE 31, GEORGIA TECH 21

I’m sticking by my initial pick, though, at least from a bottom-line standpoint. I do think Tennessee will win this game. Having a full offseason to prepare for Georgia Tech’s unique offense is nice, and the Yellow Jackets have plenty of new guys to break in, as well. And their offense is one that usually requires some time to get into rhythm. And losing star running back Dedrick Mills won’t help, either. And I’m not just not enamored with Georgia Tech’s defense.

Tennessee is still my pick, but I don’t expect it to be comfortable. TENNESSEE 34, GEORGIA TECH 31