GT vs UNC; I'll take the Coastal for $500 Alex

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think MAYBE in his last two starts that Marquis Grissom is learning how to be a PITCHER at this level. If so, that would be big for us. Archer has faded pretty badly and we have no other starters
Yep, Grissom has really come on strong and is pitching instead of just throwing now. Hurter has also been lights out over his last 3 starts. Just need Archer to find his mojo again and get back to pounding the zone.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I cancelled my flight home this afternoon and decided to fly home tonight. Jackets kept my winning streak alive! Good overall team win. The senior parents were there & that was nice. Most seemed to get along.

Grissom pitched very well depite long breaks between innings. Siegel was a real surprise. Smith slammed the door shut.

Damn Waddell, Wilhite had an awesome game, Jenkin-Reid-Malloy-Parada had clutch hits.

Stadium is awesome at night, very nice during the day.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The non-class classes all of the basketball players were in and basically got automatic A's years ago. They had a few other students enrolled in these 'classes' so somehow they basically got no penalty from it.
Sorry to put this in this topic but may clarify some of the actual events. The fake classes went on for 18 years in the African American Studies program under an accomodating professor. Classes had about 50% athletes. No class attendance and had to write one paper at end of semester. Often graded by the Secretary in the department. It was used by all athletic programs. It was reported that the Secretary would speak with the academic advisor to ask if an A was necessary. Was very pervasive in women's basketball. I know a former baseball player that took classes with that prof 3 times. Very hard for monathletes to get into for the easy A. The university fought the charges using the argument that the classes were open to all students. Cost UNC $18M in legal defense according to local papers. President forced out. AD retired. Football coach fired. Fired over his other violations but opened the ncaa investigations into the class scandal. AFAM prof and secretary were allowed to retire with full benefits. They also cleaned house in the athletic academic advisor department. A book was written by one of the academic advisors that helped blow the whistle at UNC. Book was about the educational sham going on in college athletics and how the system fails to provide a real education for the athletes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The non-class classes all of the basketball players were in and basically got automatic A's years ago. They had a few other students enrolled in these 'classes' so somehow they basically got no penalty from it.
Sorry to put this in this topic but may clarify some of the actual events. The fake classes went on for 18 years in the African American Studies program under an accomodating professor. Classes had about 50% athletes. No class attendance and had to write one paper at end of semester. Often graded by the Secretary in the department. It was used by all athletic programs. It was reported that the Secretary would speak with the academic advisor to ask if an A was necessary. Was very pervasive in women's basketball. I know a former baseball player that took classes with that prof 3 times. Very hard for monathletes to get into for the easy A. The university fought the charges using the argument that the classes were open to all students. Cost UNC $18M in legal defense according to local papers. President forced out. AD retired. Football coach fired. Fired over his other violations but opened the ncaa investigations into the class scandal. AFAM prof and secretary were allowed to retire with full benefits. They also cleaned house in the athletic academic advisor department. A book was written by one of the academic advisors that helped blow the whistle at UNC. Book was about the educational sham going on in college athletics and how the system fails to provide a real education for the athletes.

Deleted member 2897

and as soon as the dust had settled and everybody had forgotten, they rehired the original football coach architect of the scheme. They are shameless up there.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I cancelled my flight home this afternoon and decided to fly home tonight. Jackets kept my winning streak alive! Good overall team win. The senior parents were there & that was nice. Most seemed to get along.

Grissom pitched very well depite long breaks between innings. Siegel was a real surprise. Smith slammed the door shut.

Damn Waddell, Wilhite had an awesome game, Jenkin-Reid-Malloy-Parada had clutch hits.

Stadium is awesome at night, very nice during the day.
Glad to hear that you got the opportunity to get to the games this weekend. I got off to a late start from Cincinnati on Thursday, got to the game just after 7:30, and they were already through 3 innings with us having a 2-0 lead (wasn't surprising as I was listening to WREK on the way into town). Then proceeded to watch UNC score 3 unanswered runs to win 3-2. At that point, thought maybe I should just go home, as me being there was clearly not a good luck charm. Glad to have seen the last 2 wins though. Now 2-1 watching them live this season. A few years taken off my life in the 9th inning of the last 2 games though...

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have a link to video of the play at the plate in top 9 on Friday? Did the UNC guy think KP applied the tag in some “unsportsmanlike” way?

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
After the unc player slid into Parada and came to a stop, Parada stood up abruptly and raked the unc player across the face with his glove, inadvertently I think.
I always want to give my jackets the benefit of the doubt, but it felt like a freshman being a freshman. It wasn't some huge diss, but it did seem a bit immature.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I always want to give my jackets the benefit of the doubt, but it felt like a freshman being a freshman. It wasn't some huge diss, but it did seem a bit immature.
I tend to agree.. but everything I saw immediately after that was fine/good. He didn't really acknowledge any chirping from the UNC kid. Walked away. It was a nothing burger that could have escalated...but didn't soley because of Parada. The UNC kid was not letting it go.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering whether UNC was arguing that Parada was blocking the plate before he had the ball, which I believe is no longer allowed in college ball. Saw the play real time, so have no idea how it looked in replay.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
My guess, as someone who has been barrled over a few times at home, is that Parada stood up the UNC player then immediately recognized his chance to get a mild shot back for once. UNC guy did nothing wrong and it was a clear out.

Definitely an ill advised reaction, but those play are such cheap shots against the catcher. If you're in the catcher's way at the end, he's probably not gonna be in a good mood. Parada's calm walk back to the dugout saved what could have been bad.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Glad to hear that you got the opportunity to get to the games this weekend.
Yeah it just worked out. If I’d have known about Thurs I might just have said F this to work and caught the whole series. I’ve been known to do that from time to time. It was a “show the flag” trip not one where real work was getting done.