GT vs UNC; I'll take the Coastal for $500 Alex

Deleted member 2897

Yeah but tied for a long time and UNC had 13 LOB and we had 6. We were fortunate that they didn't score more IMHO.

It’s indeed hard to argue we were the better team last night. But at one point we had 2 outs and empty bases. We then walked a guy and hit two batters. Ended the inning with no runs scored, but it’s not like many of these LOB were major threats. Also had damned 3 errors. Just a really old school great baseball game.

Deleted member 2897

With great fear and trepidation I will start the UNC thread.

Circling back to this, I’d say you are off to a good start. Last night was one of the better pure baseball games I’ve seen in a while. Unfortunately their major league pitching performance outdid hours. But “NO REGERTS”.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Love was amazing, possibly the best pitching performance we have seen all year. 15K, 0BB, 0 HBP. 70% strikes. 8 hits - 7 singles and 1 double. Amazing control at 129 total pitches. A major league performance.

He was aided by a great defense that only had a few bobbles (no ruled errors) which allowed us to get the two runs on a Parada single.
View attachment 10565

All that said, Hurter did really well too. Only one bad inning where he got two outs, then walked one and hit the next two. But escaped with no runs. Rest of the time he was great with 66% strikes and only 6 hits over 7.0 IP. Bartnicki got the loss after coming in and facing 5 batters and only getting 2 outs. He shouldn't be our closer, but at least he got pulled quick.

Maxwell on the other hand was very very good with 82% strikes in his one inning. He has been trending up in his last few appearances. Wild (tic) that he had no SO and no BB, just put the ball in play and let the defense do it's job.

View attachment 10566

Our defense was bipolar with 3 errors but also some fabulous plays; an error on Malloy followed the next play by a fabulous play to rob a hit.

View attachment 10567

Oh well, just win tonight. Kudos to Love.
Love was indeed amazing. He made most of our hitters look silly with his change up - we just kept repeatedly swinging over that pitch no matter how many times he threw it. Clearly our hitters couldn't identify his change coming. Reid's at bats stood out to me as someone who just couldn't see it coming - and to Love's credit, he therefore just kept throwing it!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cant really even be upset that we lost this one. Just gotta hand it to there pitcher. He was a stud. Outside of parada, the middle of our batting order couldn’t touch him all night. JHen finally made contact in the eight. In the ninth, 115 pitches in, he struck out the side and made it look easy.

I will say that every play at first base we made into an adventure. That very easily could have (and will at some point) cost is several runs. Do we have a “true” first basemen, and do you think we would ever consider bringing someone in there as a late inning defensive replacement?

good news is they don’t have anyone anywhere near comparable to Love left, so let’s go out and put up big numbers Friday & Saturday and take this series & the costal!
Until our kids with big swings mature and move their hands closer, ( ie, Bob Horner), against a pitcher like that, they will not succeed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a very good college baseball game last night. Too bad we lost, but if we played every game like that..if we PITCH every game like that...we are a very good team.

I wonder why Bartnicki gets the ball in the ninth. As soon as I saw that I told my wife this game was over. He has had way too many meltdowns for me to ever feel good about him on the mound in a tight game.

Bartnicki came in and I was wondering about Hook Speed. He started the season well but has trended downward after that. Hopefully gets good summer ball and a good fall before he comes back next year.
1621632593736.png

Deleted member 2897

Bartnicki came in and I was wondering about Hook Speed. He started the season well but has trended downward after that. Hopefully gets good summer ball and a good fall before he comes back next year.
View attachment 10572

Well he has a lot of good stuff mixed in there too along the way, but also some pretty bad ****.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well he has a lot of good stuff mixed in there too along the way, but also some pretty bad ****.

Bipolar unfortunately. Get the kinks worked out and come back next year to get drafted high. He has the ability. Part of a pitcher's development in college (or minors). I call for the quick hook based on that moment in time, not their past performance or future potential. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.

Tonight's lineup. The pitcher is not their ace; but slightly better ERA than Archer but worse WHIP. It's baseball. 🙏 :buzz:

Anderson rather than Compton in dh. Jenkins is a stud at first.
1621634087267.png

Deleted member 2897

Bipolar unfortunately. Get the kinks worked out and come back next year to get drafted high. He has the ability. Part of a pitcher's development in college (or minors). I call for the quick hook based on that moment in time, not their past performance or future potential. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.

Tonight's lineup. The pitcher is not their ace; but slightly better ERA than Archer but worse WHIP. It's baseball. 🙏 :buzz:

Anderson rather than Compton in dh. Jenkins is a stud at first.
View attachment 10573

LETS ****ING GO! 10-4 win, 10-4.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Fortunate enough to be at the game tonight with my oldest son. Incredible weather and some very exciting baseball. A tad more exciting than we'd want. Wish Huff could have closed it out - he's so close to being very good. Sinking feeling when they brought in Bartnicki. His body language is very low energy - has lost his confidence on the mound it seems. Loved seeing the aggressiveness from Parada with the tag at home in top of the 9th. Got everyone fired up. Great to see Compton tag one - he needed that - guessing we'll see him DH tomorrow. Fun to watch Brett Centraccio and catch-up with his family (UNC 1B from Alpharetta - played some travel ball with my youngest) - but he almost hit a dinger in the 8th that would have changed things...after beating us at the plate yesterday... Looking for a strong start from Grissom tomorrow to take some Momentum into post-season... Go Jackets...

LibertyTurns

Banned
On a business trip and had a chance to stop in Atlanta tonight. Bagged a couple tix last minute from a friend. The renovations are awesome. Barely made the game but glad I did.

Bartnicki got a raw deal. Huff also. WTF was the home plate ump on some wacky crap or what?

Way more UNCheat fans than I expected. WTF is up with that. School does not seem to be in session but damn.

Close it out tomorrow Jackets.

Deleted member 2897

On a business trip and had a chance to stop in Atlanta tonight. Bagged a couple tix last minute from a friend. The renovations are awesome. Barely made the game but glad I did.

Bartnicki got a raw deal. Huff also. WTF was the home plate ump on some wacky crap or what?

Way more UNCheat fans than I expected. WTF is up with that. School does not seem to be in session but damn.

Close it out tomorrow Jackets.

UNC class is never in session.

Glad that so many people who are fans of a school still after one of the most hilarious cheating scandals ever got to be so disappointed.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What Cheat story did I miss? I don't watch sports beyond college baseball.
The non-class classes all of the basketball players were in and basically got automatic A's years ago. They had a few other students enrolled in these 'classes' so somehow they basically got no penalty from it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good news - we won. 17 hits (+3 BB +1 HBP) and 10 runs.

Bad news - surrender 9 runs and some bad base running.
1621685297064.png

Today it's Grissom versus TBA. Listening to Wiley, UNC is in trouble since two of their weekend starters got injured this year.

I think that UNC is stronger defensively than we are but we have the offensive advantage. And pitching we probably have the overall advantage even though Love is unhittable when he is on. Still blown away by his performance.

So favor us today. But UNC scrapped and beat L'Ville last Sunday so don't sleep on them at all. It's baseball.

Here's how Grissom has progressed after coming off of injury. Good appearance against Miami after a two game rough spell. Hope his form keeps improving which it should; it is only a little over a month since he first started pitching at the D1 level.
1621685709184.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What Cheat story did I miss? I don't watch sports beyond college baseball.

Basically UNC created fake classes requiring no attendance or verifiable performance that enabled "students" to get an A. Greatly helped football and basketball players maintain "academic eligibility" until they left without a degree (or being able to effectively read or write). And exposed the total hypocrisy of "student-athletes" at UNC.

The failure of the NCAA to do anything about it on a technicality that the "classes" were open to all students only shows the total hypocrisy of the NCAA in the money sports of football and basketball.