GT vs UNC; I'll take the Coastal for $500 Alex

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
With great fear and trepidation I will start the UNC thread.

Th (7PM)/FRI (6PM)/SAT (1PM).

We need to go 2-1 to insure that GT is COASTAL CHAMPIONS. We could fall as far as 4th in the Coastal (and 7th or 8th overall) if the unthinkable happens (and it could).

UNC comes in on a bit of a roll, winning their last 4 in a row including a sweep of Louisville last weekend. They also swept Clemson (at home) earlier in the year. They are however, 5-12 on the road this year, so we have that going for us. Last time we beat UGA midweek, we laid an egg in the weekend series that followed, but in my mind there is no correlation to this time around.

They have a very capable game 1 started in Austin Love (complete game shutout of Louisville in his last start. gave up 2 ER on 4 hits in 6 innings against ND the series b4). He was second team Freshman AA in 2019, so he isn't a flash in the pan, he is the real deal. After him, I can't really figure out their pitching. They don't have anyone else who has started a game with more than 40 innings (for reference, Love has 80+). Looking over box scores it is almost like Sat and Sunday both are "by committee" games. They do seem to have a very capable closer in Gage Gillian, who has worked 41 innings, 1.31 era and 0.78 WHIP

They seem pretty pedestrian offensively. They have two starters over .300 (we have 4) and three guys between .800 and .900 OPS. Everyone in their "top 6" has between 5 & 9 HR except for one guy. They have 1 guy with over 30 RBI.

We need another great start from Hurter and it will still be a struggle to win game one. We need another good start from Grissom. He is still a wildcard in my mind, although we saw what he is capable of last weekend. I have not idea in the third game pitching for us.

All in all, it seems like another toss up. I can see us going 2-1 or 1-2. I think a sweep in either direction is a long shot. BTW, if we go 1-2, either PITT or MIA can pass us if they sweep.

We need to keep playing good defense. That might be the key in this series.

SJ

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
So, if we're able to squeak out a win on Thursday, and Miami and Pitt both drop their Thursday night games, we will have locked up the 2-seed?

(yes, I realize it's likely a long shot, but I want to know when I can celebrate.)
Yes, that is correct. So chill the champagne.

I bet UM is hating life. They have played one less game than us. They had a Sunday afternoon game against Wake Forest cancelled due to COVID. If they had played and beaten WF and the 2-1/1-2 happened this weekend, then we would have identical records with UM holding the tie breaker.

Logic would say our biggest threat is from Pitt sweeping WF. However, we hold our own fate in our hands. No one else can say that in the Costal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Th (7PM)/FRI (6PM)/SAT (1PM).

We need to go 2-1 to insure that GT is COASTAL CHAMPIONS. We could fall as far as 4th in the Coastal (and 7th or 8th overall) if the unthinkable happens (and it could).

UNC comes in on a bit of a roll, winning their last 4 in a row including a sweep of Louisville last weekend. They also swept Clemson (at home) earlier in the year. They are however, 5-12 on the road this year, so we have that going for us. Last time we beat UGA midweek, we laid an egg in the weekend series that followed, but in my mind there is no correlation to this time around.

They have a very capable game 1 started in Austin Love (complete game shutout of Louisville in his last start. gave up 2 ER on 4 hits in 6 innings against ND the series b4). He was second team Freshman AA in 2019, so he isn't a flash in the pan, he is the real deal. After him, I can't really figure out their pitching. They don't have anyone else who has started a game with more than 40 innings (for reference, Love has 80+). Looking over box scores it is almost like Sat and Sunday both are "by committee" games. They do seem to have a very capable closer in Gage Gillian, who has worked 41 innings, 1.31 era and 0.78 WHIP

They seem pretty pedestrian offensively. They have two starters over .300 (we have 4) and three guys between .800 and .900 OPS. Everyone in their "top 6" has between 5 & 9 HR except for one guy. They have 1 guy with over 30 RBI.

We need another great start from Hurter and it will still be a struggle to win game one. We need another good start from Grissom. He is still a wildcard in my mind, although we saw what he is capable of last weekend. I have not idea in the third game pitching for us.

All in all, it seems like another toss up. I can see us going 2-1 or 1-2. I think a sweep in either direction is a long shot. BTW, if we go 1-2, either PITT or MIA can pass us if they sweep.

We need to keep playing good defense. That might be the key in this series.

SJ

Weather looks good.

Just checked and didn't see our UNC Game Notes which have the starting rotation. Figure Hurter, Archer and Grissom in order. I thought about having Hurter on Friday, and Grissom on Thursday, but don't see that happening with the tournaments coming up and mid-week games. Plus too short for Grissom

As to Austin Love tomorrow, he had a great game against L'Ville and earlier Miami and BC. But not so much against Duke, NC State or VT. Hope we get to him early. Good SO / BB at 96/26.

1621469254333.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely a WREK series with Wiley & Jim Poole. Demetra on ACCNX is a non-starter for me, but Roddy is worth it.

Dream team would be Wiley & Jim & Roddy & ?

Update - still no Game Notes I saw for our starting pitchers........ keeping our GTSwarm pitcher under wraps?

Deleted member 2897

Great post, ample detail, and great supporting data on the drive to being Coastal Champion.

If something bad were to happen in this series, I am happy to step up and take the blame for it. I don't know how or why, but we can find something.

Deleted member 2897

Come on baby for the trifecta tonight.

Miami @ Louisville. Probably two-thirds chance Louisville wins.

Its 85F right now still on Wake's campus. Maybe Pitt can't handle the heat and humidity and boffs the game tonight. In their last series, Wake lost 2 games to Virginia by 1 single run. They scored 29 runs against NC State (not a typo) in the series before that. They held Clemson to 14 total runs in the series before that. Wake has a bad record, but they've been close to a lot of wins.

It feels like there's a lot of 'they're due' in the atmosphere right now. UNC sweeping Louisville is due for a letdown. Wake is due to win some of these close games. Miami, well just **** Miami.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Cant really even be upset that we lost this one. Just gotta hand it to there pitcher. He was a stud. Outside of parada, the middle of our batting order couldn’t touch him all night. JHen finally made contact in the eight. In the ninth, 115 pitches in, he struck out the side and made it look easy.

I will say that every play at first base we made into an adventure. That very easily could have (and will at some point) cost is several runs. Do we have a “true” first basemen, and do you think we would ever consider bringing someone in there as a late inning defensive replacement?

good news is they don’t have anyone anywhere near comparable to Love left, so let’s go out and put up big numbers Friday & Saturday and take this series & the costal!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Love was amazing, possibly the best pitching performance we have seen all year. 15K, 0BB, 0 HBP. 70% strikes. 8 hits - 7 singles and 1 double. Amazing control at 129 total pitches. A major league performance.

He was aided by a great defense that only had a few bobbles (no ruled errors) which allowed us to get the two runs on a Parada single.
1621593842766.png

All that said, Hurter did really well too. Only one bad inning where he got two outs, then walked one and hit the next two. But escaped with no runs. Rest of the time he was great with 66% strikes and only 6 hits over 7.0 IP. Bartnicki got the loss after coming in and facing 5 batters and only getting 2 outs. He shouldn't be our closer, but at least he got pulled quick.

Maxwell on the other hand was very very good with 82% strikes in his one inning. He has been trending up in his last few appearances. Wild (tic) that he had no SO and no BB, just put the ball in play and let the defense do it's job.

1621594051283.png

Our defense was bipolar with 3 errors but also some fabulous plays; an error on Malloy followed the next play by a fabulous play to rob a hit.

1621594692237.png

Oh well, just win tonight. Kudos to Love.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That was a very good college baseball game last night. Too bad we lost, but if we played every game like that..if we PITCH every game like that...we are a very good team.

I wonder why Bartnicki gets the ball in the ninth. As soon as I saw that I told my wife this game was over. He has had way too many meltdowns for me to ever feel good about him on the mound in a tight game.