• No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • It’s a crap shoot

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s not unfair to say we need a change up. All I’ve said the whole time is be careful what you wish for. See: Monte Lee.

DH has deeeeeeep rooted connections throughout Georgia high school and travel ball programs. Ramsey brings a new energy, but there’s no guarantee he yields better results. If anything needs to be looked at it’s obviously Borrell. There have been zero improvements on the pitching staff, and things are worse now than they’ve ever been. I don’t know what’s going on in the pitching lab but it has not helped at all. And its not the talent either. Grissom, Maxwell, Huff, Brown, Bartnicki, Smith, Roedig are all extremely talented pitchers. Very highly recruited pitchers. And all of them have pitched their way off of draft boards, or very far down the list. There’s a common denominator there. It seems to me like whatever Borrell learned and utilized with the Yankees simply doesn’t work at the college level. Whether that’s different strategies, or different teaching methods, it is not translating.

There have been teams in the past that should have made it out of regionals that had tough luck. This team is doing exactly what it has all year. A lot of times there’s nothing a manager/coach can do when it comes to these tournament formats. See Mike Martin for an example there. It ultimately comes down to luck of the draw, avoiding hot teams, and not getting cold down the stretch. Baseball is a fickle game. The Pirates just swept the Dodgers across a 3 game set. Does that mean the Pirates are the better team? Hell no! But in baseball any team can win on any given day. When your season lives and dies with the result of one or 2 games, you won’t be rewarded everytime. At the very best you’re probably looking at a .500 record. DH not being able to get over the hump is something of a historic outlier.

It’s fine if you think someone else can breakthrough, but acting like DH is a bad coach because he hasn’t is disingenuous. Given the state of GT athletics it’s very possible DH has overachieved for decades. It’s possible we’ll find out the truth in the next couple of years.
Hogwash. Everyone in the Georgia high schools and travel ball circles have known for years that Hall is an underachiever. He is a lesser version of Richt. I‘ve spent many weeks every summer at Lakepoint and everyone knows he is what he is. Y’all thinking he is some sort of Kirby Smart when he steps out of the car is funny. The coaches at Mercer are more respected than Hall. It’s time to move to Ramsey before he leaves us.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hogwash. Everyone in the Georgia high schools and travel ball circles have known for years that Hall is an underachiever. He is a lesser version of Richt. I‘ve spent many weeks every summer at Lakepoint and everyone knows he is what he is. Y’all thinking he is some sort of Kirby Smart when he steps out of the car is funny. The coaches at Mercer are more respected than Hall. It’s time to move to Ramsey before he leaves us.
Lmao not even close to true. Keep your horrible takes on the football page. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
It's time to turn the page, on Baseball, Football, Basketball AND the AD.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just looked, and it looks like Danny Hall is fifth in wins among active NCAA coaches. Maybe he wants to retire on top.

Imo, that is like the PGA golfer with the most tournament wins without ever winning a major. I don’t know who holds that dubious distinction and I don’t want to look it up. But in most ( if not all) sports there is a very real and recognized difference between winning in the regular season vs. in the postseason ( or majors in golf).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just looked, and it looks like Danny Hall is fifth in wins among active NCAA coaches. Maybe he wants to retire on top.

Win tomorrow & he's tied at top of active D1 coaches with Minnesota head coach.

Screenshot_20220603-200839_One UI Home.jpg

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
By the way, folks. My son-in-law is a head baseball coach for a Division III college in north Georgia, and he speaks very highly of Coach Danny Hall. He frequently meets Coach Hall during his scouting trips to summer baseball games after the spring college baseball seasons end, when high school players are trying to make their best impressions in front of a good number of college coaches. He occasionally talks baseball with Coach Hall while watching those games. He tells me Coach Hall is one of the very best, in his personal opinion.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
By the way, folks. My son-in-law is a head baseball coach for a Division III college in north Georgia, and he speaks very highly of Coach Danny Hall. He frequently meets Coach Hall during his scouting trips to summer baseball games after the spring college baseball seasons end, when high school players are trying to make their best impressions in front of a good number of college coaches. He occasionally talks baseball with Coach Hall while watching those games. He tells me Coach Hall is one of the very best, in his personal opinion.
I have met him several times and he is a stand-up guy from my interactions with him. From what I've seen, he'll always take the time to talk to someone in Tech gear.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I understand why our football team is struggling. We were weak at the LOS in 2019 and it takes more than 2 recruiting classes to rebuild a football LOS, which is where we were going into last season. And the LOS is the difference in college football.

I don't understand why our baseball and basketball teams are where they are. It only takes 2 recruiting classes to build a baseball or basketball team, and both coaches have had plenty of time. I'll take the ACC tournament championship in basketball last year, but we have to face the fact that it was a Covid fluke. However, even as mediocre (at best) as basketball has been, baseball is unacceptable. How or why Hall was given an extension is baffling.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I have met him several times and he is a stand-up guy from my interactions with him. From what I've seen, he'll always take the time to talk to someone in Tech gear.
And when you are losing and you want to keep your job, that's what you do. But is that what he is paid to do? Is his job to win games or be a PR guy for the fans?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of y’all are just funny. Who cares if Hall talks to other coaches. Of course he will because it’s a fraternity. As someone else noted, his job is to win games for GT. As the stats above show, he wins a ton of meaningless games. Any coach at GT given the years Hall has been given would have won a ton of games because we can get talent within a 10 mile radius of campus. The problem with Hall is he is a proven do less coach. Today was just the latest example of his team not playing for him. It happens way too often. Once Hall is gone y’all will see we hung on to him way to long.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Some of y’all are just funny. Who cares if Hall talks to other coaches. Of course he will because it’s a fraternity. As someone else noted, his job is to win games for GT. As the stats above show, he wins a ton of meaningless games. Any coach at GT given the years Hall has been given would have won a ton of games because we can get talent within a 10 mile radius of campus. The problem with Hall is he is a proven do less coach. Today was just the latest example of his team not playing for him. It happens way too often. Once Hall is gone y’all will see we hung on to him way to long.
"He wins a ton of meaningless games."

That might be the dumbest thing that I have ever read. Yeah, I want more postseason success and wish that we could get to Omaha and win one. A lot of the blame falls at Hall's feet, but regular season games are not meaningless. Having a program that is perennially competitive and a winner is not a guarantee by any means even with all of the talent that is in the state. Ask Georgia how their baseball program was doing before Stricklin somewhat turned them around. It should be easier for them to get more talent than us, but that has not usually been the case since Hall has been at Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How in the world do we get blown out by Campbell. Most of you guys in Georgia have no idea where it even is in North Carolina. It's in a small town about 30 miles south of Raleigh. The school has a really nice golf course but that's about it. How can they put together enough D1 players to beat us. I am astounded by our performance given the advantages we have. I can see losing to UT etc but we should easily have better athletes than Campbell. They have to compete with NCSU, UNC, ECU, DUKE, WAKE in NC for recruits and still can take us. Amazing. My hat is off to someone there for what they have accomplished.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
How in the world do we get blown out by Campbell. Most of you guys in Georgia have no idea where it even is in North Carolina. It's in a small town about 30 miles south of Raleigh. The school has a really nice golf course but that's about it. How can they put together enough D1 players to beat us. I am astounded by our performance given the advantages we have. I can see losing to UT etc but we should easily have better athletes than Campbell. They have to compete with NCSU, UNC, ECU, DUKE, WAKE in NC for recruits and still can take us. Amazing. My hat is off to someone there for what they have accomplished.
It's baseball. Anybody can beat anybody. Especially when they have an ace and we don't.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
It's baseball. Anybody can beat anybody. Especially when they have an ace and we don't.
IMHO this is not a “it’s baseball” thing. It was our pitching. It was bad all year and never got better overall. Maybe Grissom has improved over his last two start, it remains to be seen. However, you could see this train wreck coming from a mile away. I didn’t turn the game on until 12:30 and was not surprised in the least to hear our starter lasted 1 2/3 and gave up 3 doubles and 3 home runs. I am severely disappointed in Borrell at this point.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I have talked with parents at the ACC tournaments and others on tweeter who's sons were looking at playing at GT. They all had great things to say about Coach Hall. One parent that stands out to me was this guy (still talk with him to this day) who played at Cincinnati. He and his son were very impressed with our coach. But ended up playing at Washington (pitcher) to be closer to his family because his father had an engineering job out west.

Fast14eddie

Georgia Tech Fan
Hall is probably a great guy. But we have massive talent in GA when it comes to baseball. Yes he wins games but not the biggest. Disappointed every year we don’t get deeper in the post season. Always have excuses.