• No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • It’s a crap shoot

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
UGA’s top 5 pitchers: Cannon, Gowen, Marsh, Woods, Crisp are from: Alpharetta, Wellington, FL, Folkston, GA, Warner Robins, and Locust Grove. That’s 2 from Metro ATL, 1 from middle GA, 1 from south GA, and 1 from out of state. I don’t think I would consider that “cleaning up” the southern part of the state with these talented pitchers. It’s obvious you have no clue what you’re talking about and are just spewing nonsense.

South GA has always been a recruiting hotbed for Auburn and FSU in every sport. Most south GA cities are closer to Tallahassee or Auburn than they are to Atlanta or Athens. This isn’t some sort of modern change of mind based on a random, out of context quote from DH.

You literally sound like a butthurt child. Are you mad that Danny hasn’t given your little boy a call yet? Probably good reason for it. You have no respect for the man because you’ve never spoken to him. Based on what I’ve seen you post I doubt you ever get the opportunity to.
Man, I obviously hit the nail on the head by your response. We’ve all watched year after year as Hall has fallen flat on his face using his methods to recruit. He owns it. All the rest of your personal attack just tells me I called it right. GT baseball is a gem waiting to be polished. Hall has had his chance. But hey, let’s extend him so we keep the status quo.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You're right, Hall didn't start the program, and we will more than likely be fine when he is gone. But he has maintained a winning program that is always competitive. Last time I checked, Hall is the only coach that has taken this program to Omaha.
Well, when you allow a coach to stay for decade after decade it’s kinda hard for someone else to take us to Omaha.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Man, I obviously hit the nail on the head by your response. We’ve all watched year after year as Hall has fallen flat on his face using his methods to recruit. He owns it. All the rest of your personal attack just tells me I called it right. GT baseball is a gem waiting to be polished. Hall has had his chance. But hey, let’s extend him so we keep the status quo.
Sounds like Hall’s comment about East Cobb hit your nail on the head. You’re just making up nonsense like you do on the football board. Trying to be edgy. Like I said, it’s possible GT baseball has overachieved with Hall at the helm, just like it’s possible we’ve overachieved. Hall is the only one to ever go to Omaha. Jim Morris didn’t get to Omaha, neither did anyone before him. Given GTAA’s total lack of funding, the ability to be a nationally relevant program year after year is a credit to Hall. And the gap between us and other programs is only getting bigger.

The last team from the state of Georgia to make it out of a regional was Kennesaw State in 2014. UGA last made it out in 2008 when they beat us. It’s not easy. And if UGA with their boo-Koos of money can’t get out, why would you think it would be easier for us to get out?

Florida State, a nationally relevant baseball program, had baseball operating expenses of $900k this year. Ole Miss had a budget of $3M. Tech’s was way less than FSU. I think a lot of y’all underestimate and under-appreciate how consistently good and above average the GT baseball program has been over 2 decades given GT’s budget constraints.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like Hall’s comment about East Cobb hit your nail on the head. You’re just making up nonsense like you do on the football board. Trying to be edgy. Like I said, it’s possible GT baseball has overachieved with Hall at the helm, just like it’s possible we’ve overachieved. Hall is the only one to ever go to Omaha. Jim Morris didn’t get to Omaha, neither did anyone before him. Given GTAA’s total lack of funding, the ability to be a nationally relevant program year after year is a credit to Hall. And the gap between us and other programs is only getting bigger.

The last team from the state of Georgia to make it out of a regional was Kennesaw State in 2014. UGA last made it out in 2008 when they beat us. It’s not easy. And if UGA with their boo-Koos of money can’t get out, why would you think it would be easier for us to get out?

Florida State, a nationally relevant baseball program, had baseball operating expenses of $900k this year. Ole Miss had a budget of $3M. Tech’s was way less than FSU. I think a lot of y’all underestimate and under-appreciate how consistently good and above average the GT baseball program has been over 2 decades given GT’s budget constraints.

Is there a place to see the amounts spent on baseball programs? I haven't really looked or seen one. And I'd expect the numbers to not be that transparent or comparable. We now have better facilities than we did and the number of assistant coaches is limited. But what about the rest of the costs? NIL?

What doesn't make sense to me is how we can recruit offense so consistently well and not pitching. That doesn't seem to be a funding problem but something else. (And no I don't have an answer.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Campbell is a quality baseball team. Aaron Fitt has been high on them all year. Calling them his Omaha "sleeper" ... he backed off that once they were sent to Knoxville & he and his D1 colleagues can't figure out why the "arguably best 3 seed" in the field was sent to #1 overall.

Need Grissom & the boys to perform today. It's that time of year... you just cannot be concerned about the next game. Winning the next inning or AB is all that matters.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Since we have to win the next three and Tenn is much better, I'd save Grissom for tonight. Really comes down to playing for 2-2 in the regional or winning the second game and forcing a game tomorrow.

Seems that is what Campbell is doing if they aren't throwing their 3rd best, they figure they can give up runs but out score us. (Sound familiar?)

At this point, there isn't a good solution, only a less worse one. Both Campbell and GT need to win 3. And 2 against Tenn who is 35-3 at home.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Since we have to win the next three and Tenn is much better, I'd save Grissom for tonight. Really comes down to playing for 2-2 in the regional or winning the second game and forcing a game tomorrow.

Seems that is what Campbell is doing if they aren't throwing their 3rd best, they figure they can give up runs but out score us. (Sound familiar?)

At this point, there isn't a good solution, only a less worse one. Both Campbell and GT need to win 3. And 2 against Tenn who is 35-3 at home.
To win we probably need to score 10+ runs three straight games and hope our pitchers are better than their usual selves.

I take exception to the "save Grissom" crowd. We have to play every game as if it's the last game of the season. And, that is exactly what's at stake now. Let's not outsmart ourselves and lose to Campbell again.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To win we probably need to score 10+ runs three straight games and hope our pitchers are better than their usual selves.

I take exception to the "save Grissom" crowd. We have to play every game as if it's the last game of the season. And, that is exactly what's at stake now. Let's not outsmart ourselves and lose to Campbell again.
Unfortunately, while emotionally I feel like if we don't save Grissom for UT we'll have NO chance against the Vowels...logically I have to agree with you.

Maybe we'll get lucky and a freak rain storm will cancel tonight's second game.

And tomorrow's game.

And then we bring back Huff ?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, while emotionally I feel like if we don't save Grissom for UT we'll have NO chance against the Vowels...logically I have to agree with you.

Maybe we'll get lucky and a freak rain storm will cancel tonight's second game.

And tomorrow's game.

And then we bring back Huff ?
Tennessee is so good. There isn't any way to beat them 2 times in a row by "planning" & "strategizing" ...the only way to do it; frankly... is to have multiple unexpected things to go our way... including them suddenly being bad at some things on the diamond.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee is so good. There isn't any way to beat them 2 times in a row by "planning" & "strategizing" ...the only way to do it; frankly... is to have multiple unexpected things to go our way... including them suddenly being bad at some things on the diamond.
You can't deny pitching our best pitcher gives us our best chance. Trying to cobble together 18 innings of pitchers against Tenn from a depleted staff is much worse odds than trying to make half that plan work against the Camels.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can't deny pitching our best pitcher gives us our best chance. Trying to cobble together 18 innings of pitchers against Tenn from a depleted staff is much worse odds than trying to make half that plan work against the Camels.
Not sure I follow what you're saying. However... those who think we should "save" Grissom would have to also be "ok" with playing 3 games in a regional, losing twice to the 3-seed (a really good team) & go home having never had our best pitcher throw a pitch. Of course, I'm on record with 2nd guessing failing to have him go in game 1.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I follow what you're saying. However... those who think we should "save" Grissom would have to also be "ok" with playing 3 games in a regional, losing twice to the 3-seed (a really good team) & go home having never had our best pitcher throw a pitch. Of course, I'm on record with 2nd guessing failing to have him go in game 1.
We've got 2 challenges.

1. Beat the Camels.
2. Beat Tenn twice.

I think we have about a 1 in 500 chance of beating Tenn twice with our all our best pitchers expended. I think we have about a 1 in 100 chance of beating them twice with Grissom in game 1 & a combo of other arms in game 2.

I think we have a 80% chance of beating the Camels with Grissom pitching, a toss up maybe only 40% chance of winning without him. The odds are slim either way, just slightly better in my opinion sitting on Grissom. I'd like a chance to beat Tenn once at atleast and taking a chance against the Camels even if that means potentially wasting Grissom altogether.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is that we need a few pitchers to step up to win this regional. So, nothing has really changed from when we started the regional on Friday. Huff stepped up. Grissom needs to pitch like he has his last 2 starts. Then we need a couple of guys to step up like Josh Heddinger did against Vandy back in 2013. I was there. 2 hit complete game shutout against the #2 overall seed. Vandy fans were asking who is this kid, and where did he come from? I had no answer for them, as I had been used to seeing him come on in relief and give up grand slams to the first batter he faced. He stepped up BIG that night though. Gave us the opportunity to bring back Farmer on short rest the next night. Didn't work out, but I liked our chances at that point. That's what we need today.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
So we have been the road team twice, home only once. Vols have been one of each. Looking at #2, it seems we would be the home team tonight. Step #1 would give it to Tennessee tomorrow vs. GT.

The College World Series is the culmination of the NCAA Division 1 Baseball Championship Tournament and is held each year in Omaha, Nebraska. Eight teams participate in the College World Series in a double-elimination format. There is a specific NCAA process to determine the home team at the College World Series.

For the initial regional rounds of the tournament, the higher seeded team is always the home team. Once the initial regional round is completed, the NCAA uses the following three step process:

Step 1) The team has been the home team fewer times during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 2) If both teams were the home team the same number of times, count the number of times each team was the visiting team during the tournament. The team that was the visiting team more often during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 3) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams met previously during the tournament, the visitor in the immediately preceding game between the two teams becomes the home team.

Step 4) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, the team that was the visitor in its most recent, preceding game becomes the home team.

Step 5) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times, the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, and both teams were the visitor (or home team) in their most recent, preceding game, then the home team is decided by a coin flip.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well y'all were right and I was wrong about pitching Grissom. As was being unable to throw strikes, I'm glad he wasn't held for Tenn.

Siegel doing a great job. But when I turned on the TV, I thought Jenkins was pitching at first glance.