Votes: 4 12.9%
  • It’s a crap shoot

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScGold

Banned
"He wins a ton of meaningless games."

That might be the dumbest thing that I have ever read. Yeah, I want more postseason success and wish that we could get to Omaha and win one. A lot of the blame falls at Hall's feet, but regular season games are not meaningless. Having a program that is perennially competitive and a winner is not a guarantee by any means even with all of the talent that is in the state. Ask Georgia how their baseball program was doing before Stricklin somewhat turned them around. It should be easier for them to get more talent than us, but that has not usually been the case since Hall has been at Tech.
The $hit eaters have had more success the jackets in the last 10 years. Not sire how a tech person could support a clown like danny. Everyone has free will i suppose, so enjoy the movie the next 3 years it's gonna be a blast for those that like horror flicks.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
He needs 600 more wins to go out on top so thats not gonna happen. His youngest son is now through with ball at GT (after our next loss). There is a brash new generation of coaches who are eager to take over from the old guard. And being from south Ga, I like Hall because he is our coach, BUT he burned bridges with HS and travel ball coaches in this part of the state. At a coaches conference several years ago he made mention that the East Cobb AAU team was the only place he needed to go to recruit. This off the cuff remark further soured GTs name in a heavily mutt part of the state. Would players from down here been the missing link to a CWS title? Probably not, but it certainly kept coaches from promoting GT within their program or calling in talent when they saw it from the other team. Snarky comments always come back to bite you on the butt.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The $hit eaters have had more success the jackets in the last 10 years. Not sire how a tech person could support a clown like danny. Everyone has free will i suppose, so enjoy the movie the next 3 years it's gonna be a blast for those that like horror flicks.
This is how I know you're just making crap up lol and to never take you seriously. Georgia had 5 straight losing seasons and has only made the tournament 3 times in the last 10 years (not including 2020 obviously).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This Georgia talent thing is a little too much. There's talent all over the country. No significant advantage to being located in Georgia (anymore).

The 3 Georgia schools that played yesterday (all 2/3 seeds) ... all lost. The POY in ACC was from Wisconsin. The guy who should have been POY from California. Freshman of year... Florida. Reg season ACC champs last 2 years... ND & VT.

Not saying Georgia has BAD baseball players but they aren't any better than players in about 35 states.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This Georgia talent thing is a little too much. There's talent all over the country. No significant advantage to being located in Georgia (anymore).

The 3 Georgia schools that played yesterday (all 2/3 seeds) ... all lost. The POY in ACC was from Wisconsin. The guy who should have been POY from California. Freshman of year... Florida. Reg season ACC champs last 2 years... ND & VT.

Not saying Georgia has BAD baseball players but they aren't any better than players in about 35 states.

While I appreciate the sentiment and agree that elite baseball players come from all over, Georgia was about 3rd of 50 in 2017:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/baseball-hotbeds-where-do-pro-baseball-players-come-from/

I think in general a player from out of state (in any program) getting a larger scholarship is probably ranked higher in Perfect Game than the average in state player on the team .....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is a huge difference imho between our football program, and our basketball program and our baseball program.

If football was perennially ranked in the TOP 25 and had decent to very good seasons but just kept losing in their bowl games, many of us would be thrilled compared to where that program is today. Same with basketball...if we were reaching the Big Dance every year and flaming out in the first round, we'd be annoyed but MUCH better than where we are today. I think the arguments to make changes in those programs are much stronger than on baseball, where we are clearly a respected (if flawed) program on the national stage. That is NOT the case with the other two programs. On top of that, Hall brings in Top 10 recruiting talent year-in and tear-out. The other programs? Not so much.

Now, I agree that there needs to be accountability for our pitching woes. But I am not sure honestly what to do about it. We changed pitching coaches a few years back to bring in Borrell, we installed a state-of-the-art tech system to assist our pitchers. We are all told that our pitchers are talented and highly recruited. I don't know the answer, but I do give credit for Hall making efforts to solve the problem. He hasn't kept his Defensive Coordinator on the staff (he changed pitching coaches)...so again, his program is different.

I share the frustration. I don't have the answer. I am reluctant to knee-jerk and fire Hall just because we need to "do something". The French did something after WW1. It was called the Maginot Line. It led to a worse result and failure 25 years later, after massive spending. It is not out of the realm of possibility that a change could backfire.

I don't know the right answer. I just know I love GT baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
While I appreciate the sentiment and agree that elite baseball players come from all over, Georgia was about 3rd of 50 in 2017:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/baseball-hotbeds-where-do-pro-baseball-players-come-from/

I think in general a player from out of state (in any program) getting a larger scholarship is probably ranked higher in Perfect Game than the average in state player on the team .....
I think those numbers reinforce my point. Talent is all over. My criticism of Hall is failing to cast a wider net. Not failing to assemble the best roster he can from mostly Georgia. [Scholarship implications are real but a different discussion]

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a huge difference imho between our football program, and our basketball program and our baseball program.

If football was perennially ranked in the TOP 25 and had decent to very good seasons but just kept losing in their bowl games, many of us would be thrilled compared to where that program is today. Same with basketball...if we were reaching the Big Dance every year and flaming out in the first round, we'd be annoyed but MUCH better than where we are today. I think the arguments to make changes in those programs are much stronger than on baseball, where we are clearly a respected (if flawed) program on the national stage. That is NOT the case with the other two programs. On top of that, Hall brings in Top 10 recruiting talent year-in and tear-out. The other programs? Not so much.

Now, I agree that there needs to be accountability for our pitching woes. But I am not sure honestly what to do about it. We changed pitching coaches a few years back to bring in Borrell, we installed a state-of-the-art tech system to assist our pitchers. We are all told that our pitchers are talented and highly recruited. I don't know the answer, but I do give credit for Hall making efforts to solve the problem. He hasn't kept his Defensive Coordinator on the staff (he changed pitching coaches)...so again, his program is different.

I share the frustration. I don't have the answer. I am reluctant to knee-jerk and fire Hall just because we need to "do something". The French did something after WW1. It was called the Maginot Line. It led to a worse result and failure 25 years later, after massive spending. It is not out of the realm of possibility that a change could backfire.

I don't know the right answer. I just know I love GT baseball.

Yes the pain is very different in different sports. Football and basketball we don't recruit at the highest levels. But baseball we do recruit at the highest levels (about 290 D1 programs), but don't perform to those recruiting levels. There is only one constant that I know of. Danny Hall should get part of the credit for recruiting at such a high level and he should also get part of the blame for on-field performance. Would we have better performance with another HC? I don't know till we go there.

(I used our 25 RPI this morning for end of season, hopefully we win out ....... and the recruit rankings are based on average Perfect Game stars for each D1 team.)

1654358179859.png

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
"He wins a ton of meaningless games."

That might be the dumbest thing that I have ever read. Yeah, I want more postseason success and wish that we could get to Omaha and win one. A lot of the blame falls at Hall's feet, but regular season games are not meaningless. Having a program that is perennially competitive and a winner is not a guarantee by any means even with all of the talent that is in the state. Ask Georgia how their baseball program was doing before Stricklin somewhat turned them around. It should be easier for them to get more talent than us, but that has not usually been the case since Hall has been at Tech.
You must be an East a Cobb coach who has Hall’s phone number in your Rolodex. Any coach would have won a boat load of regular season games at GT. We have been a destination baseball program. Hall did not start that. He inherited that from Morris just like the next coach will inherit it from him. You will see that we won’t miss a beat whenever Hall leaves but we can’t do any worse in the playoffs because Hall has done nothing. GT has settled under Hall and the program has not moved forward in years.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He needs 600 more wins to go out on top so thats not gonna happen. His youngest son is now through with ball at GT (after our next loss). There is a brash new generation of coaches who are eager to take over from the old guard. And being from south Ga, I like Hall because he is our coach, BUT he burned bridges with HS and travel ball coaches in this part of the state. At a coaches conference several years ago he made mention that the East Cobb AAU team was the only place he needed to go to recruit. This off the cuff remark further soured GTs name in a heavily mutt part of the state. Would players from down here been the missing link to a CWS title? Probably not, but it certainly kept coaches from promoting GT within their program or calling in talent when they saw it from the other team. Snarky comments always come back to bite you on the butt.
As a South Georgia guy I know all about that statement and it really took me away from Hall. It’s no coincidence that the last big time pitcher from down here Hall has gotten was Connor Thomas. Meanwhile UGA, Auburn, FSU, KSU are loading up on these guys. But I get that Hall would rather just drive to Emerson or Cobb so he can be home in time for Wheel of Fortune.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
As a South Georgia guy I know all about that statement and it really took me away from Hall. It’s no coincidence that the last big time pitcher from down here Hall has gotten was Connor Thomas. Meanwhile UGA, Auburn, FSU, KSU are loading up on these guys. But I get that Hall would rather just drive to Emerson or Cobb so he can be home in time for Wheel of Fortune.
UGA’s top 5 pitchers: Cannon, Gowen, Marsh, Woods, Crisp are from: Alpharetta, Wellington, FL, Folkston, GA, Warner Robins, and Locust Grove. That’s 2 from Metro ATL, 1 from middle GA, 1 from south GA, and 1 from out of state. I don’t think I would consider that “cleaning up” the southern part of the state with these talented pitchers. It’s obvious you have no clue what you’re talking about and are just spewing nonsense.

South GA has always been a recruiting hotbed for Auburn and FSU in every sport. Most south GA cities are closer to Tallahassee or Auburn than they are to Atlanta or Athens. This isn’t some sort of modern change of mind based on a random, out of context quote from DH.

You literally sound like a butthurt child. Are you mad that Danny hasn’t given your little boy a call yet? Probably good reason for it. You have no respect for the man because you’ve never spoken to him. Based on what I’ve seen you post I doubt you ever get the opportunity to.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You must be an East a Cobb coach who has Hall’s phone number in your Rolodex. Any coach would have won a boat load of regular season games at GT. We have been a destination baseball program. Hall did not start that. He inherited that from Morris just like the next coach will inherit it from him. You will see that we won’t miss a beat whenever Hall leaves but we can’t do any worse in the playoffs because Hall has done nothing. GT has settled under Hall and the program has not moved forward in years.
You're right, Hall didn't start the program, and we will more than likely be fine when he is gone. But he has maintained a winning program that is always competitive. Last time I checked, Hall is the only coach that has taken this program to Omaha.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes the pain is very different in different sports. Football and basketball we don't recruit at the highest levels. But baseball we do recruit at the highest levels (about 290 D1 programs), but don't perform to those recruiting levels. There is only one constant that I know of. Danny Hall should get part of the credit for recruiting at such a high level and he should also get part of the blame for on-field performance. Would we have better performance with another HC? I don't know till we go there.

(I used our 25 RPI this morning for end of season, hopefully we win out ....... and the recruit rankings are based on average Perfect Game stars for each D1 team.)

View attachment 12531

And that’s a charitable chart. If it showed our progress in the postseason, the blue line would be no lower than 32.