GT vs Pitt Postgame

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not arguing one way or the other regarding CPJ's future at GT. That said, wouldn't it be nice to again have the talent at Tech that Chan Gailey recruited? When did we cut the degree programs and add Calculus? It must have been right after he left. But please, I am not calling for Gailey's return.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point, the shine has far worn off with CPJ. He is a great offensive mind, but the system isn't working with him as head coach at GT. We all know the problems: defense, special teams, talent, recruiting, in game management, attitude with the media, etc.

The attendance for the first home game was abysmal. I imagine there will be plenty of orange at BDS this Saturday. Fans speak by not coming. Apathy has set in. My kids and I are still rocking our GT apparel in public today; my two year old will attend his first game against Bowling Green, and my wife, my 4 year old and I will be there Saturday. But I get the sense many Tech fans are just done and won't show up on Saturdays the rest of the season. Blast them if you want, but it's probably just the reality of where we are.

Academic and financial hurdles aren't changing no matter who is in charge. When you have football fans on message boards that do not want to help the program by changing any academic standards, you can only imagine what the BOR thinks, so we can correctly assume there will be no new majors and zero changes (I vehemently disagree, but it's not happening).

But we recently had a scholarship football player graduate from GT that read on a 3rd grade level as a senior in high school. Yes the academic piece is stifling and a challenge. But don't tell me we can't get players due to the academics. We have to be selective and careful with exceptions, but obviously there is support in place to aide struggling student athletes.

I have coached many high school players that have went on to play at ACC and SEC schools; only one even considered Tech. Playing in the offense is not appealing to high school athletes. Practicing against the option is not appealing to high school athletes. The perception of the system is a turn off to teenage kids. When you already have difficult entrance requirements and a challenging academic environment, you can't also trot out a system that alienates high school kids.

It's been 11 years. CPJ has done some great things and given us some exciting seasons. But it is time to reenergize the fan base, change the perception of the program and move in a different direction.

Animal02

Banned
@Animal02 ....have you actually sat down and talked with any football players? Some of what you are spewing on this board seems seriously misinformed. It is quite natural for athletes in sports like football and basketball to want to develop and get to the League and there is nothing wrong with that! To spew that they shouldn't come to GT strikes me as somehow elitist and hateful.
If their sole desire is to end up in the NFL, Tech is not the place for them. Anybody that denies that is living in a fantasy. The entire reason Tech, Army, Navy, Duke etc had great football teams before the 60's was because pro football was not a career option. Once that happened, the football landscape changed. Tech can remain a top academic school that has a football team, or it can change to appease the football worshipers, how usually are the first ones to bail when the team loses. I will always take option one.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I am not arguing one way or the other regarding CPJ's future at GT. That said, wouldn't it be nice to again have the talent at Tech that Chan Gailey recruited? When did we cut the degree programs and add Calculus? It must have been right after he left. But please, I am not calling for Gailey's return.
Lol, our facilities were actually nice when Gailey was coach, under CPJ that hasn’t been the case. Apples to oranges.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
So this loss hurt. Like really hurt. I had planned on this game being a turning point after last week. Truly believed it would be the game where the light goes on and the boys of Ga Tech woke up from the road nightmare we have been on.

We missed that chance. I poured a bourbon, watched the post game interviews, took a walk with my dog through the woods behind my house and have come back to post a simple message of hope.

We had shots to win. We went down 21-0 in the first half and had a chance to win the game, on the road. That’s crazy.

After watching the pup run through the woods I remembered that this is just a game. 3.5 hours of action from 30 something, 18 something year olds representing Georgia Tech. The school that introduced me to my wife, that gave me a degree which has provided remarkable job opportunities but also taught me about myself, my limits and growth. This team still has the chance to be good. I still think we can beat anyone left on our schedule (no doubt both Clemson and “u”GA will be tough but it’s possible).

As to the talk of quitting on this team, I’ll say this:
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

As to the talk of CPJ getting fired, I’ll say this:
He owned his mistakes, and I actually think we will be better going forward. I don’t understand our kicking game woes, like actually can’t fathom how this has happened, but hey it is what it is and we are where we’re at.

I will continue to support the program and the athletes and the staff, because they’re part of the tradition and family that is the Institute. CPJ didn’t all of a sudden forget how to call a game or coach a team. We will right this ship. I personally am cutting a check to GTAA today as an investment in improvement. For those of us fans not happy with the product we see on the field there is a clear path forward. Send in a flood of money. Donate as much as you can plus 10%. Let’s give TStan and CPJ all the resources our alumni base can muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry , you are wrong in so many ways, but it's you're money. T.S. will take all the money you give to the AD dept. and use it accordingly like an extension for PJ, but you will continue to be disappointed in the results.Do like I did, invest in Josh Pastner,season tickets and the BB program.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
When you get angry with Pastner what will you support next. There is a GT athletic program . Have attended several. Meetings with TS . He is not a pro or con supporter of any of the coaches. He supports all GT athletics . We are in a major hole regarding athletics staff ,facilities ,etc. I will support all our sports program sending money to the GTAA and buying tickets. You have every right to choose your path forward, but for myself very much support what Midtown Jacket shared . Guess I must be wrong also.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the calculus/majors thing is overplayed by some, and underestimated by others. It matters, it's just not black and white. I think some have found the middle zone in their replies already, so I don't feel like I have anything new to add there.

We have a control experiment right in front of us, but it requires one to assume the following: Andy McCollum is our best recruiter. If you disagree, ignore the following. But if you agree and subscribe to that theory, then question that follows then is, why is he not as limited by majors and calculus? Why does calculus/majors affect our assistant coaches disproportionately?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to point out something that has not been said so far - GT was down 21-0. It's not often I've seen GT come from that far behind to pull within 1 TD of taking a win.
Good observation, but the last TD was nothing more than Pitt playing reserves when the game had been decided.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates is a really good passer.

I think Yates is a good passer at the high school level. I am not sure he's good enough to be a strong passer in any offense that doesn't also use his legs a lot. I don't think he's the type to drop back type and sit there and throw the ball. He would probably be the best passer that PJ has had at GT, but that's not saying a lot.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The Hill values athletes graduating over W/L.

The Hill in many ways is too stupid to realize the benefit of doing both.

The Hill is jealous of the GTAA being successful, and will discriminate against our S/As.

Many on the Hill think they have a right to steal from taxpayers, admit foreign students who ended up arrested by the FBI over good students from Ga., and could in no way care any less about the graduation of students over their taxpayer funded research.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Going by this list as an example (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings)

Stanford, Illinois, Berkeley, Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, NC State, Texas A&M, USC. are also all top 25 engineering schools.

Also, the majority of athletes are not doing STEM majors. They are taking up business administration and communications, and other non-engineering majors.

So I’m not sure I buy into the whole “we can’t do better because we are such a good school”argument.

Also, do we not have more majors / degrees than ever?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah, you don't need to give up. Things that TStan has put in place with and will address going forward will help. What we as Tech fans have to understand the pool of SAs that can come to Tech is smaller, then add STEM programs to the mix and it gets smaller still. The SAs are out there, finding them, cultivating and enrolling them is the challenge that can only be met with staff dedicated to exactly that!

Hell trust me, I know how bad it can get at Tech. See my screen name???? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
OJF, the bottom line is, most kids today don't want to hear that B.S. let alone play for PJ. Not saying it's right or wrong.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Good observation, but the last TD was nothing more than Pitt playing reserves when the game had been decided.
You can’t really think that? No way a team plays reserves down 2 scores when a team could score fast and possibly get the ball back because of playing the reserves. Not sure if you are being serious or not?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So I never went to GT, can someone who did explain why they wouldn’t want the academic side of things to change? I’m not talking about dropping down necessarily in requirements to get in and stuff of that nature. But why would someone not want more degree options and calculus not being a requirement in everything? Or would most be ok with that?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We'll there you go, and probably none of them played any sports.
I was a GT SA, a real one. I was always a student first as it was a club sport. But we competed against ACC and other D1 foes nonetheless. I wore a GT on my chest with pride and sacrificed many hours I could have been studying while training, traveling and completing. We even completed against and beat some teams with scholarship athletes even though my mates and I paid our way.

All that is said to emphasize my point that I don’t want to cave to the factory method of success or change who we are for success on the field. We need a greater commitment to finding the SAs that fit the mold... not change the mold to fit the easy path.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
To those who are still optimistic about this year, I admire you. I wish I could have that mindset. In fact, I probably used to. But it is no more. If we beat Clemson this upcoming weekend I’ll eat the biggest crow you’ve ever seen. But it ain’t happening. We will be lucky to be competitive in this one. We are now what we made fun of Duke for being. The irony is real. The losses are real. The need for a change is definitely real.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The Hill in many ways is too stupid to realize the benefit of doing both.

The Hill is jealous of the GTAA being successful, and will discriminate against our S/As.

Many on the Hill think they have a right to steal from taxpayers, admit foreign students who ended up arrested by the FBI over good students from Ga., and could in no way care any less about the graduation of students over their taxpayer funded research.
I’m all for imposing tariffs on foreign students to generate revenue for football. You might be on to something here.