GT vs Pitt depth chart

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
You are all about moving MM to aback, I just don't get it. He is the most explosive guy we have had at that position in a long time. Having a home run threat at that spot makes our offense so much more dangerous.

Why would you move MLD back? He seems like a great fit for aback. He has the size you are saying you want out there and has shown himself to be a more than competent receiver. We have no clue how MM would look in the passing game, but do know he has looked good at bback.

Leggett may get moved out there, plus JJ green will be an upgrade as well. I just don't see any reason to move MM to aback, but that's just my opinion. I think bback will be MM, Q, and Mills.
Mills?....sorry who is this

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Bback and Aback will be very interesting next year. Our best overall RB will play Bback. After that things get interesting. The smaller quicker guys (typically < 200 lbs) will stay at Aback of course. Bigger backs (210-235) and tweeners (200-210) could potentially play either IMO. Coaches will want to get the 3 best backs on the field as much as possible. They will also want a very capable backup at BBack ideally. How this plays out in the offseason will be most intriguing.

Now, back to this year. I'm hoping PS and MM continue to improve and can rotate enough to stay fresh. We really need to avoid more injuries at aback....no one has any control over this but man we have taken more than our fair share of lumps here. We may be getting into the 2nd half of our season but injuries at this position have us at about 2 games worth of experience for these guys.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
One of the least noticed things: Brad Stewart as backup returner. Looks like we've got a good replacement for Golden the next few years.

I think so too.

He's got that center fielder experience that makes me feel really comfortable back there catching punts. Need sure hands and a good decision maker who can play the ball well in the air for PR. As far as return yardage, I think he'll be able to consistently get us positive yards for a good average and not do dumb stuff like run backwards....make one guy miss and get what's there. That can be very valuable as Kelly Rhino showed. BS may be able to break a few tackles too as he matures.

Good to see an heir apparent. Omari Jarrett is a guy who might make some noise there too.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
MLD's versatility is why I thought he was such a steal recruiting. A real skill athlete. He can play anywhere and I think need will dictate where he ends up.

When Searcy is back and the WR's hopefully mature/get better, Justin is going to have a lot of targets. IMO we miss searcy pretty badly in the passing game right now. Lynch can get 'er done as a receiver too, and I'm thinking JJ Green as an ex-db should be good too.

Seems like teams are really crowding the box and daring to us to beat them deep. We made Clemson pay on a couple of long balls and we need to be able to do that more often.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You are all about moving MM to aback, I just don't get it. He is the most explosive guy we have had at that position in a long time. Having a home run threat at that spot makes our offense so much more dangerous.

Why would you move MLD back? He seems like a great fit for aback. He has the size you are saying you want out there and has shown himself to be a more than competent receiver. We have no clue how MM would look in the passing game, but do know he has looked good at bback.

Leggett may get moved out there, plus JJ green will be an upgrade as well. I just don't see any reason to move MM to aback, but that's just my opinion. I think bback will be MM, Q, and Mills.
Ok, I suppose I should lay out why I think Marshall will be so much more use to us at AB.

First, in all his time at Tech and his Navy years, Coach has been most successful with BBs in the 5'11" - 6'2", 220 - 235 lbs. range. I think there's a reason for that. You need some heft to get enough inertia going forward to break tackles from DTs in the 290 - 320 lb. range and LBs upwards from 230. I know Coach had smaller BBs who were successful at GSU, but I doubt if they would be as useful in a P5 conference (Peterson excepted, of course). I know that Leggett (5'10", 215, don't believe the program weight) doesn't perfectly fit this, but he's so good at running through tackles (or was in high school) that he may be the exception that proves the rule. He's strong as an ox.

Second, at 5'9" and 209, I think Marshall is at about his top weight for his frame. If he tries to get up to 215 - 220, he'll lose his main asset for us: his speed. Oth, Lands-Davis is playing at 220 right now and cutting a low 4.6 - high 4.5 in the '40 (I'm guessing). He'll play next year at 5'11", 225 and probably won't lose any speed at that weight. He is, iow, a natural at BB and that was what he was recruited for. Oth, I'm sure everyone has noticed that when Marshall gets stopped in the middle, he really gets stopped; he often loses yards. Part of this is blocking, of course, but I don't think this is a coincidence; he simply doesn't have the size the position calls for. Besides, with Leggett, Quaide, L-D, and Mills we'll be ok at BB.

Third, with him, Cotrell, Benson, and Green to go along with Searcy at AB we would have a virtually unparalelled combination of speed and size at AB. That's 4 deep in the 190 - 205 range who cut 4.5 40's and below with a terrific change of pace in Searcy. (All this assumes that Taquan goes back to QB, like Coach said he would.) That means no more problems with getting to the edge and keeping pitch relations right; shoot, JT will have to be going full speed just to keep up. It also means the potential for a home run every time the D makes even a minor mistake.

Soooooo … if I'm Coach, I move him out to AB next year. No need, imho, to try a Perkins route with him and make him gain weight that simply slows him down so he can play BB. The addition of Mills next year (5'11", 220, 4.5 40) will also make the move more sensible. Now, this year is a different story. Marshall is at least as effective as Skov and Allen, so he'll stay at BB. But I bet he moves on soon. And starts with Green or Cotrell next year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I suppose I should lay out why I think Marshall will be so much more use to us at AB.

First, in all his time at Tech and his Navy years, Coach has been most successful with BBs in the 5'11" - 6'2", 220 - 235 lbs. range. I think there's a reason for that. You need some heft to get enough inertia going forward to break tackles from DTs in the 290 - 320 lb. range and LBs upwards from 230. I know Coach had smaller BBs who were successful at GSU, but I doubt if they would be as useful in a P5 conference (Peterson excepted, of course). I know that Leggett (5'10", 215, don't believe the program weight) doesn't perfectly fit this, but he's so good at running through tackles (or was in high school) that he may be the exception that proves the rule. He's strong as an ox.

Second, at 5'9" and 209, I think Marshall is at about his top weight for his frame. If he tries to get up to 215 - 220, he'll lose his main asset for us: his speed. Oth, Lands-Davis is playing at 220 right now and cutting a low 4.6 - high 4.5 in the '40 (I'm guessing). He'll play next year at 5'11", 225 and probably won't lose any speed at that weight. He is, iow, a natural at BB and that was what he was recruited for. Oth, I'm sure everyone has noticed that when Marshall gets stopped in the middle, he really gets stopped; he often loses yards. Part of this is blocking, of course, but I don't think this is a coincidence; he simply doesn't have the size the position calls for. Besides, with Leggett, Quaide, L-D, and Mills we'll be ok at BB.

Third, with him, Cotrell, Benson, and Green to go along with Searcy at AB we would have a virtually unparalelled combination of speed and size at AB. That's 4 deep in the 190 - 205 range who cut 4.5 40's and below with a terrific change of pace in Searcy. (All this assumes that Taquan goes back to QB, like Coach said he would.) That means no more problems with getting to the edge and keeping pitch relations right; shoot, JT will have to be going full speed just to keep up. It also means the potential for a home run every time the D makes even a minor mistake.

Soooooo … if I'm Coach, I move him out to AB next year. No need, imho, to try a Perkins route with him and make him gain weight that simply slows him down so he can play BB. The addition of Mills next year (5'11", 220, 4.5 40) will also make the move more sensible. Now, this year is a different story. Marshall is at least as effective as Skov and Allen, so he'll stay at BB. But I bet he moves on soon. And starts with Green or Cotrell next year.

First good argument I've seen for MM at AB and MLC at BB next year. I've argued against it, but I'm willing to admit when someone makes a good point.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

You make some very good points. I don't watch that much tape on recruits and am no expert. I'm a baseball guy, but have a pretty good feel for the game. I do think MLD has the ideal size for bback, but based on the little I've seen, his skill set plays really well at aback. He can be a physical presence blocking the perimeter, explosive runner, as well as a threat in the passing game.

I have not seen enough to know, but I would not imagine MM being a great threat in the passing game. He is, IMO, a guy that can make someone miss in the hole and take one to the house. We need that at the bback spot IMO. This will do a lot to keep the safety and MLB from flying sideline to sideline with no respect for the big play between the tackles. I don't think his size is an issue.

I think Q will be the big body that we use to get the tough yards. He seems like a downhill runner suited for breaking tackles/pushing the pile for tough yards.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
You make some very good points. I don't watch that much tape on recruits and am no expert. I'm a baseball guy, but have a pretty good feel for the game. I do think MLD has the ideal size for bback, but based on the little I've seen, his skill set plays really well at aback. He can be a physical presence blocking the perimeter, explosive runner, as well as a threat in the passing game.

I have not seen enough to know, but I would not imagine MM being a great threat in the passing game. He is, IMO, a guy that can make someone miss in the hole and take one to the house. We need that at the bback spot IMO. This will do a lot to keep the safety and MLB from flying sideline to sideline with no respect for the big play between the tackles. I don't think his size is an issue.

I think Q will be the big body that we use to get the tough yards. He seems like a downhill runner suited for breaking tackles/pushing the pile for tough yards.

Then this guy comes along and reminds me why I felt the way I felt to begin with! Bravo to both of you, but I gotta side with @Lee on this one. Love both MM and MLD, regardless.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would move MM to AB......IF... IF.... IF.......somebody ends up beaing him out at BB, but not until then. We are going to want this kid toting the rock for us somewhere. I think he projects really well as an inside runner. We will need him to get his touches. At AB, it is hard to guarantee numbers of touches. But, if somebody can make a clear and convincing case that they are THE MAN at BB over him, then so be it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I would move MM to AB......IF... IF.... IF.......somebody ends up beaing him out at BB, but not until then. We are going to want this kid toting the rock for us somewhere. I think he projects really well as an inside runner. We will need him to get his touches. At AB, it is hard to guarantee numbers of touches. But, if somebody can make a clear and convincing case that they are THE MAN at BB over him, then so be it.

I agree. If someone can beat him out for that spot than I think we will be in a really good place. IMO he has as much potential for the bback position as we've seen since Dwyer. I love his feet and how quickly he gets up to top speed out of his cuts.

These young backs are going to be really good in a year or two. It's never fun watching them take their lumps like the are this year, but they will be better for it the next 3 years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I couldn't listen till this tonight (Thursday).

Being a GT fan means waiting for the stars to align. I'm glad CPJ is the coach. His only problem is he is too honest. But he is the best coach for us.

Hopefully we start a winning streak this weekend. If not, next weekend. IIWII.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
MM, MLD, JJ, Qua, Nate, Quaide, Taquan (unless moved to QB), CJ, Benson...........future looks very bright! Add Gantt and Mills. A & B look to well stocked for the next 3-4 years at least! JeT, MJ, CC, Jaylen, Taquan (probably). Quite the group behind the O line. Juene, Howell, Stewart, Philpott. Tech make take their lumps this year but you better get them this year if you're the opposition! I know this is strecthing this thread a bit but Tech's is getting the quality and quality depth in place :D

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, I wouldn't be saying I think he's going to be moved unless I thought that would happen. I'm betting that either Leggett, Quaide, or MLD will do just that. Personally, I'm betting on Leggett; he has great talent. Marshall doesn't have the size needed and, like I say above, if he tries to put it on he'll slow down a la Perkins. As for guaranteeing touches: all that requires is a decision to keep an AB in the game and run plays that get him touches. When Shun White was at AB for Navy he carried the ball 10 times a game and there was no doubt who our main back was when Orwin Smith was on the field.

But all that is next year. Who knows? Maybe Marshall will prove me wrong. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.