GT vs Clemson (-15.5)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We can hurt them deep, if we go play action. But first and foremost, we have to establish a modicum of a running game. Play action works if they respect the run. We may have to roll TQM out some too, maybe throw off fake rocket toss.

Deleted member 2897

We've played Venables several years and he throws no surprise punches. We know exactly what's coming. Their guys are quick, strong, and great at defeating blocks.

My biggest concern is we are still not getting turnovers. 0 from Tennessee. 1 from Pitt. 2 from North Carolina. 0 from Miami. 1 from Wake and that was basically a late desperation heave. But even if you count it, that's still less than 1 per game on average.

My other big concern is kick coverage. We CANT give them the ball at the 40+.

Zerrick Cooper can beat us too. So when I say I am worried about Bryant's health, it's not for selfish reasons. I just don't want to see a good guy's career be put in jeopardy.

There's plenty of film to watch. Just do your jobs...

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm blown away that Clemson appears like they are going to play Bryant 15 days after that concussion at Cuse....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
1) I'm completely convinced that our Offense really is 85%+ execution.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you expand on it, please. Every offense requires execution to be successful. In order to execute, you have to a) know where to go, and b) get there. Part (a) is cerebral, part (b) is physical and requires athleticism and winning one on one battles. Both parts make up execution, however, imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you expand on it, please. Every offense requires execution to be successful. In order to execute, you have to a) know where to go, and b) get there. Part (a) is cerebral, part (b) is physical and requires athleticism and winning one on one battles. Both parts make up execution, however, imo.

Thanks. I thought the next sentence would clear it up. I said, "Wake's D has not been a joke all year, and CPJ was able to identify what they were doing and what would work in response."

So, what I meant was two things: (1) guys just doing their jobs and getting to the right place is more than half the battle, and (2) CPJ will be able to identify plays and blocking that will give them the advantage.

Imo, this differs from other teams which tend to rely on guys making great plays.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I thought the next sentence would clear it up. I said, "Wake's D has not been a joke all year, and CPJ was able to identify what they were doing and what would work in response."

So, what I meant was two things: (1) guys just doing their jobs and getting to the right place is more than half the battle, and (2) CPJ will be able to identify plays and blocking that will give them the advantage.

Imo, this differs from other teams which tend to rely on guys making great plays.
So to be clear, the part I highlighted above is all pre-engagement execution, right? Because once you engage the opponent, the physical side of the game takes over. The reason I'm nitpicking your point, which I think I'm in agreement with, btw, is I can't stand when posters say 'all we have to do is execute'. Well duh, the defense is actively trying to disrupt our execution, we're not executing in a vacuum.

A good example of what I think you mean is the 1st and goal at the 2 that we screwed up. Coach said our qb and bb went the wrong way. He said even if we didn't block it well, if those guys went the right way, it should have ended up 2nd and 1 at the least.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So to be clear, the part I highlighted above is all pre-engagement execution, right? Because once you engage the opponent, the physical side of the game takes over. The reason I'm nitpicking your point, which I think I'm in agreement with, btw, is I can't stand when posters say 'all we have to do is execute'. Well duh, the defense is actively trying to disrupt our execution, we're not executing in a vacuum.

A good example of what I think you mean is the 1st and goal at the 2 that we screwed up. Coach say our qb and bb went the wrong way. He said even if we didn't block it well, if those guys went the right way, it should have ended up 2nd and 1 at the least.

Right.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There will be a big upswing when GT fixes the "hit the right person" execution. There is a lot of room for improvement for the OL and Abacks. The rocket toss really has a lot of missed assignments. Don't get me wrong. The guys have looked good, but they are striving for great.

There are some backside cut issues that are more performance related execution issues. The MLB has not been a big issue as the BBack success is forcing them to scrape down in middle support before heading outside. I think everything starts with the DT, beat them and you open the whole offense up.

I hope GT mixes aggressiveness and is deceptive about defensive plays.

I expect a hard fought game.

CRS

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We've played Venables several years and he throws no surprise punches. We know exactly what's coming. Their guys are quick, strong, and great at defeating blocks.

My biggest concern is we are still not getting turnovers. 0 from Tennessee. 1 from Pitt. 2 from North Carolina. 0 from Miami. 1 from Wake and that was basically a late desperation heave. But even if you count it, that's still less than 1 per game on average.

My other big concern is kick coverage. We CANT give them the ball at the 40+.

Zerrick Cooper can beat us too. So when I say I am worried about Bryant's health, it's not for selfish reasons. I just don't want to see a good guy's career be put in jeopardy.

There's plenty of film to watch. Just do your jobs...

We have been forcing a lot of three and outs this year. that depreciates the turnover chances.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll make a prediction right now. Tech rushes for 275 - 300 yards and the game is a prize fight going into the 4th, whether Bryant plays or not. I've watched the Tiggers twice. They are not, repeat not, as good on D as they were last year and they do not, repeat not, have a stud RB in the stable. Their running game is Bryant and a few helpers. If he plays and he runs, I'll give him about 1.5 quarters before we knock him out of the game. Nothing dirty or off the board required either. All it will take is a solid hit.

Well, I've made predictions here before and sometimes they work out. Here's hoping this is one of those times.

Didn't Clemson have 11 sacks against Auburn?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we win this weekend by suddenly discovering a passing game. I think our defense has to keep us in this one, and maybe some of those deflected balls we've seen a good bit of this year will land in our hands and not on the ground. I hope we get a close game because I think that's our best shot at coming out with the W.

Jmonty71

Banned
Well, I for one, hope we disappoint a lot of Vegas betters. In that, we upset the Tigers. Although, this is the game I have least looked forward to, all year. I just don't see us beating Clemson. But, then again.. Many didn't see Syracuse beating Clemson either. As they say... That's why they play the game.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We can't start slow, if we can weather the initial onslaught and home field crowd and stay close it'll be huge for our confidence.
Then limit the mistakes and see what happens ... they didn't blow-out WF at home !
I would take;
Wake +3
UVA +3
NC State to upset ND straight-up

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Weather forecast right now is calling for rain on Saturday, hopefully, this team is ready now for the field conditions. After Miami, rain just makes me cringe

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at 2014 and 2016:
1. Pray for a lot of turnovers and the worst QB performance of all time

2. We got lots more rushing yards in 2014, but we were also 8/11 in the air. TQM is pretty good at mid range throws but has been mediocre at the jump ball throws JeT could throw to consistently bail GT out. Pass, but not too much, like first half wake.

3. Last years game plan consisted of throwing at the Austin's as much as possible and I see now reason why Clemson should change that. Without DW, Kelly, and whoever their running back was last year they lose a lot of talent we would need in the box. AJ coming closer to the box in the second half bailed out a rather poor performance by Lawrence in the first halfback by taking away the slant. I won't expect them to throw at Step much as outside the second half of Tennessee he's been lights out. Austin twins not as much.

4. Run it up the middle. JeT never had a good rushing game against them or Miami due to the speed of their secondary. TQM possibly allows us to run more midline against what is typically one of the best back 4s well see. Days had 89 yards against them in 2014 let's hope Shamire can replicate that this year