GT vs #17 Ole Miss GAME THREAD

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m not as doom and gloom about this one as some of you are. This isn’t a top-10 team we are facing - it’s the 17th ranked team in the country. And even without flaws we are night and day better than we were last year when they blew us out. If the team plays with the energy from the second quarter against Louisville we can win.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Hoping the thack attack makes a return for this game. D is going to need to step up big time for this one
Hope the coaches study the Tulane game film and adopt the same defensive strategy, attack-attack-attack, lIke someone else said, what do we have to lose.

20.5 is a bit heavy in my opinion and I'll repeat an old cliche, Tech always loses one we shouldn't lose AND WINS ONE WE SHOULDN'T WIN ... well ??

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Hope the coaches study the Tulane game film and adopt the same defensive strategy, attack-attack-attack, lIke someone else said, what do we have to lose.

20.5 is a bit heavy in my opinion and I'll repeat an old cliche, Tech always loses one we shouldn't lose AND WINS ONE WE SHOULDN'T WIN ... well ??
I hope the one we lose we shouldn't was the Louisville Game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ll be there as well. Heading out with some friends and family Friday night to Tupelo.

Have got a parking spot closish to the grove so will get there early and set up for breakfast then wander into the grove around 2ish I think. We have some friends who are long time OleMiss Folk at have graciously offered to host us for the experience of their grove tent so excited for that as well.

Then off to section S2 to cheer the brave and bold.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Willie Fritz is a very good coach and recruiter.
Indeed, but still...if Tulane can hang in there against Ole Miss, so can Tech. We also have a good coach, and the talent level of the Jackets is probably at least on a par with the Green Wave.
The keys would seem to be ball control on offense and pressuring Dart on defense. The former will be easier than the latter.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our defensive talent is no where near Tulane's. I think we are going to have to develop our guys a lot and recruit defensive talent with more vigor. Maybe we can find some gems like Keon White in the transfer portal.

I think Thacker has had long enough to develop our defense. There is no way we should be this underwhelming after as many years as he has been in charge.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
...after as many years as he has been in charge.
Our D was a lot better last year after TFG left, and that was the beginning of Thacker being in charge of it. The Jackets lost a good bit of talent off that team, and I don't see the D's slow start this season being necessarily his fault. I was encouraged last year by what I saw on D after you-know-who left, and Thacker was finally put in charge. Based on all that, I see this year's shortcoming more about personnel than coaching. We'll see what happens going forward...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Our D was a lot better last year after TFG left, and that was the beginning of Thacker being in charge of it. The Jackets lost a good bit of talent off that team, and I don't see the D's slow start this season being necessarily his fault. I was encouraged last year by what I saw on D after you-know-who left, and Thacker was finally put in charge. Based on all that, I see this year's shortcoming more about personnel than coaching. We'll see what happens going forward...
Our D turned the corner against UCF, imo. Really solid performance in that game, Collins’ last. I think we were finally healthy and had difference makers with reps to support it.

Otherwise this year looks a lot like the rest of our DC’s tenure. We look poorly coached (tackling, guys running into each other on stunts, option D, etc), before we get to the talent and injury side of the equation. We had similar personnel is non-healthy Keion White years.

We were also fortunate to get turnovers last year, which typically regress to the mean.

I really hope your take is right - it’s a popular narrative - but I’m not inclined to believe it yet.