GT Vollebees

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
GT #18 again this week.
Take a look at #2 & #3…
https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/9-27-2021.html
So Penn State, who we beat handily, climbs from #20 to #16 after beating an overrated Ohio State team while we remain at #18. Stanford is #17 with only a 6-4 record. Florida remains in the rankings after losing yet another match and is now 7-5. This stinks very much like how the SEC is treated in the football polls where they can beat each other and not lose much in the polls because their conference has an inflated rep because of the media. Volleyball, it seems, has much the same good ol' boy system in place where the name of the school carries much more weight than their actual performance on the court. Oh well, we have a chance this weekend to prove all the haters wrong with the #3 team coming to town. It will be interesting to see what happens should we be able to take them down. Will we jump 6 spots like Penn State did when they beat the #3 team???

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The real test will be when the ladies play really formidable, ranked teams. We can always steamroll 3-0 over weaker teams but we haven't really played super tough competition this year or if we have, we didn't win (UCLA).

Looking for payback to ND this Friday. The ND match in 2019 was probably the most exciting match I've ever seen (we won in 5 sets... that was a thriller!)

I really think GT volleyball is the best kept secret of Tech sports. It's so fun to watch, so exciting, and if you've been following the team over years, the growth and success that's happening right in front of your eyes is super exciting (if the football team can do this...)

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The real test will be when the ladies play really formidable, ranked teams. We can always steamroll 3-0 over weaker teams but we haven't really played super tough competition this year or if we have, we didn't win (UCLA).

Looking for payback to ND this Friday. The ND match in 2019 was probably the most exciting match I've ever seen (we won in 5 sets... that was a thriller!)

I really think GT volleyball is the best kept secret of Tech sports. It's so fun to watch, so exciting, and if you've been following the team over years, the growth and success that's happening right in front of your eyes is super exciting (if the football team can do this...)
I totally agree with everything you said except for the part about the schedule. While it may not be a "super tough" schedule it is still a challenging schedule. We have played a schedule comprised of all Power 5 teams except for three matches. Those opponents have a combined record of 86-62 I believe (that climbs to 85-51 if you discount the matches against us). I think that's a pretty impressive schedule, especially when you compare it to the schedules filled with cupcakes of many other teams. Is it as difficult as all of the top teams, maybe not. Then again it's more difficult than several of them and it's the most aggressive schedule we have played in a long time and it includes a thorough thrashing of Penn State on a neutral court who is highly ranked.

That being said, I think we are all looking forward to the matches this weekend as a barometer of where we are as a team. And as I said in an earlier post, it will be interesting to see what our ranking is after this weekend should we be successful. Go Jackets!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
What's going on with Nicole Drewnick? Is she on the team? I have not seen her on the court when watching the recent games online...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not a great weekend. I hoped for a split, but ND...

34-36 loss in the 2nd set must have been great volleyball. Unfortunately for me, I could not get the match on TV in eastern NC.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a great weekend. I hoped for a split, but ND...

34-36 loss in the 2nd set must have been great volleyball. Unfortunately for me, I could not get the match on TV in eastern NC.
Could not pick up either game in Marietta. Time to regroup and move forward. Still a very talented team!