GT Visits Chapel Hill & UNC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Zac is doing really well, throwing a few too many bars after four innings and he has a shut out going with three strikeouts. Best thing is body english, a lot of swag and confidence. About 60 pitches so he can go further. Have a deep bullpen. 1-0 still.

Good news from WREK, Hughes should be back very soon.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We didn't steal the series, we took it with emphasis. Zac looked good, Dulaney looked great. Zac pitched 6 innings but didn't throw as many strikes as in the past - 56% (75/42) and 3 walks. But a lot better each outing. Dulaney - 3 innings 40/28 or 70% strikes which is damn good. No walks and 1 SO.

We had one error all weekend. UNC had 3 today.

Most importantly, we are now 1 above 500 in the ACC and took an away series from a top 5 team.

Get Hughes healthy and keep the outings short for our pitchers to share the experience.

Good news is that Kel had another HR. Bad news is that the MLB scouts will notice. Bailey also had a HR.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Watching the replay. Very pleased with the whole team. Solid defense, excellent pitching a, and some timely hitting.

This team, if they play to their potential, could be really good. Like hosting a Regional good. But, like 65Jacket said, need to take care of business against Duke first.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope we beat Ga Southern on Wednesday. Should be exciting if Pitts is starting.

What we know from ACC play so far is that FSU and UNC are good and VT is bad (like 1 win so far bad). So we are 2-4 against good ACC teams.

Agree that we can't sleep on anyone. Remember the BC sweep last year? Kept us out of the ACC tourney at the least. Not that we had the pitching depth last year to go anywhere. This year is another matter especially if Hughes is back this weekend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Pitts is...an adventure. The fact that he is still starting these midweek games rather than some of our frosh pitchers is mildly confusing to me, unless Hall just does't want to waste the frosh on midweek appearances (OK, that's a stretch, I know...but what else can it be?). I frankly want to sweep Duke because:
  1. we're at home
  2. UNC just swept them last weekend
  3. they are 1-7 as we speak
  4. our pitching is MUCH better than last year...this DOES assume we get Hughes back healthy

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Kendall Rogers’ Five

1. Georgia Tech Is Back On The Map

The Yellow Jackets took a slight step back a couple of weeks ago with a tough series loss on the road against Florida State. However, they are right back in the saddle after hitting the road and taking a series from North Carolina, winning 6-0 in the series finale, while also outhitting the red-hot Tar Heels 11-4 in the process.
While the offense got it done against Mike Fox’s Heels, the story of the game was the outing put together by starting pitcher and righthander Zac Ryan, who struck out three, walked three and allowed just two hits in six shutout innings. Ryan threw 75 pitches (42 for strikes). The Georgia Tech bullpen also did the job with Burton Dulaney tossing three shutout frames.
Offensively, Georgia Tech’s Wade Bailey hit a home run and finished the afternoon with three hits, while Matt Gonzalez chipped in a three-hit performance and hard-hitting Kel Johnson with a home run and three-hit performance of his own.
The Jackets are sizzling hot and now winners of six of their last seven contests with Duke at home next weekend, while the weekend series over the Tar Heels should serve as a major RPI boost as well.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
CDH is hoping that eventually Pitts will get to a point to help us for the post season. I get very frustrated with him too, if he could only get better location on his pitches, He wastes so many pitches that he limits himself to around four innings, even when he is getting them out. I know CPH and Pitts are probably more frustrated than we are.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CDH is hoping that eventually Pitts will get to a point to help us for the post season. I get very frustrated with him too, if he could only get better location on his pitches, He wastes so many pitches that he limits himself to around four innings, even when he is getting them out. I know CPH and Pitts are probably more frustrated than we are.

Yeah, it's easy to accidentally refer to Paul Hewitt when you've got the word Pitts in your mind.