GT Visits Chapel Hill & UNC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ALL three game starters are TBA for GT.......

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/032316aaa.html

Whadya make of that, my friends?

Hope Gold is ok. I know so little about the severity of the injuries to Hughes and King. Have they been "officially" scratched this weekend? Kong's sounds bad given his shoulder history. Hughes sounds more precautionary if we don't see him at all. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him start to plan on a few innings and see how he does.

Regardless, I expect to see more than ten GT pitchers this weekend.

The attitude I am trying to take is that we have 24 ACC games left. We need to win 12 of them to be assured of ACC and NCAA berths this postseason. If we can make it healthy to the postseason we can do a lot of damage regardless of seeding.

We haven't played well on the road the last few years as pointed out in the article, that has to change. Last time I remember we played really well consistently on the road, we won the ACC tourney. We'll see how much the team has matured since FSU.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
King and Hughes didn't make the trip. Assuming Gold tomorrow, Zac Ryan Fri or Sat, Dulaney or Gibson whichever game Ryan doesn't start.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's hope Zac is Back! Thanks. But bad news, especially about Hughes.

I would ask how long it's going to take for them to come back but it's probably unknowable. You can make estimates, but each injury and person are different. Hughes will be with us for 3 years and hopefuly has a long MLB career. That is much more important than any series.

The "good" news is that UNC is now "only" #2 in pseudo RPI with Florida @#1. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html We are #16 playing an elite team at home. This series will be interesting ..... definitely will watch / listen to parts.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We could really, really use Tristan English on the mound this weekend. Anyone have nay idea how is doing doing throwing on off days? Anywhere near ready to face live bullets yet?

Really sucks about Hughes. King seems lost for good to me. Even if he comes back he will be so rusty it's hard to see him being a major contributor. Sucks for the young man. I am really hoping Hughes is just out this weekend, as we definitely need pitching the rest of the year with all these injuries.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC site shows Gold starting today and Zac Ryan starting Saturday. Still TBD for tomorrow. GT still has TBD for all 3 games.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We have the worst luck with pitchers. The list of injuries is endless going back thru the years. We are heavy underdogs if we don't have Gold and Hughes. and English can't pitch this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pabst is the man. 12 pitch at bat and finally gets a hit in the T 5th.

With one out, three singles to load the bases for Justus. Single to score run 1-1 now. But Pabst is the man. Need a big big crooked inning.

Update: Kel with a 3-1 count gets a single with error. God bless him not striking out and delivering. I think it's his 13th game in a row with a hit. GT 3-1.

Inning over and the most runs the UNC pitcher has given up this year. Pitch count at ~90. Arden is the man who turned the game around.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In hind sight, I still think that Pabst at bat was the turning point. The previous inning UNC's pitcher got three outs on 6 pitches. But all the pitches in the 5th bounced him from the game the earliest this year.

We used Gold and Gorst. It was worth using Gorst to get the win. Tomorrow is a staff day ..... still no word on the GT pitcher.

No GT errors. And GT won on an unearned run error. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.

Sweet.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am SO happy we managed to win this game. Way to go Jackets!!! Now, if we can just manage to split the next two....(getting greedy!)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gorst will be ready again for Sunday, and if Ryan starts then and we can get some good relief from one of the frosh...just maybe....