GT Visits Chapel Hill & UNC

65Jacket

GT Athlete
What a great win!. I was figuring that Gibson would start Friday, and probably be followed by Delany. Pabst's 12 pitch at bat in the 5th was definitely the turning point of the game. He is now hitting over .300.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
What I've heard is that English as a pitcher likely won't be happen until next season and it's not primarily abcoach's decision. I know he struggled with some "dead arm" last year, guess he still hasn't fully bounced back.

Well, if the family or the player are balking on pitching based upon some doctor's diagnosis over a year ago of 'dead arm', whatever that is, it's an unfortunate decision. I watched him pitch throughout high school, and he had way more stuff than some who were drafted higher and/or made it to the majors. He will find out the world is filled with line drive gap hitters, but there is a dearth of guys who can throw low to mid 90s and locate it down, in and away.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if the family or the player are balking on pitching based upon some doctor's diagnosis over a year ago of 'dead arm', whatever that is, it's an unfortunate decision. I watched him pitch throughout high school, and he had way more stuff than some who were drafted higher and/or made it to the majors. He will find out the world is filled with line drive gap hitters, but there is a dearth of guys who can throw low to mid 90s and locate it down, in and away.
I think he started throwing off the mound a few weeks ago, but the stuff he used to have hasn't come back consistently. You're right about his talent--if he gets that back, then he's very likely the best pitcher on the roster. Mid 90's fastball with good secondary pitches as well as great control. Hopefully he finds it this year because what a boost he would bring to the team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think he started throwing off the mound a few weeks ago, but the stuff he used to have hasn't come back consistently. You're right about his talent--if he gets that back, then he's very likely the best pitcher on the roster. Mid 90's fastball with good secondary pitches as well as great control. Hopefully he finds it this year because what a boost he would bring to the team.

I will root for him to get it going on the mound, because I saw the glint in Danny Hall's eyes when he spoke about English the pitcher at Lunch Bunch. But I have no knowledge about his condition or health and therefore will render no judgement about the wisdom or lack thereof of his staying off the mound for now.....

Here's shopping the other frosh can do well today and tomorrow...

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Wow, my focus is on college hockey right now so I didn't even know they were playing yesterday. Sounds like it was a good game and I'm glad to hear it. I guess there really is no correlation between whether I watch and whether we win. Who would have thought? Why the Thursday - Saturday series?

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Wow, my focus is on college hockey right now so I didn't even know they were playing yesterday. Sounds like it was a good game and I'm glad to hear it. I guess there really is no correlation between whether I watch and whether we win. Who would have thought? Why the Thursday - Saturday series?
Easter on Sunday.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win yesterday! I didn't realize the game was on a Thursday.. d'oh! Lets do it again today.. Go Jackets!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Rough first inning--went from finishing the inning after 4 batters to giving up 3 runs. English slipped on a groundball which would've been the 3rd out. UNC then scores three (one a questionable call at the plate). Then we got bases loaded with no outs in the 2nd and didn't get a run out of it.

Currently 4-0 in the bottom of the 3rd. Parr has replaced Gibson.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, back down to earth in this game. But we saved Delaney for tomorrow's game, which was smart, IMO.

BIG question is whether this team let's a bad game lead to another one (like happened during our 4 game streak) or whether we can bounce back tomorrow and steal game 3.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
UNC has another great Soph pitching tomorrow. I don't know how we have such bad luck with out best pitchers from year to year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, back down to earth in this game. But we saved Delaney for tomorrow's game, which was smart, IMO.

BIG question is whether this team let's a bad game lead to another one (like happened during our 4 game streak) or whether we can bounce back tomorrow and steal game 3.

We have a much better chance to win tomorrow. Get a few good innings from Zac ...... hopefully four or more. I think we bounce back back and take what is ours. I missed the game tonight until it was 8-0. So it was basketball time instead.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

I still think that mid-terms had a bigger impact than has been acknowledged.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Today is the day to win the series.

Losing two of our three weekend pitchers is bad luck. But how bad of luck depends entirely on how long they are out. UVa lost pitchers for part of the season who came back last year and they did ok. Our Fr will get a lot more innings than they would have otherwise.

We are facing some really good pitching. 2 earned runs in two games. Time to break out today.