Film Room GT v VPI Slow Motion Review

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That MLB wasn't waiting to see if JT looked back or not before bolted to the pitch lane. He was long gone by then. Bud Foster switches up the assignments some. We weren't touching the MLB with our OL so he kept filling the pitch lane unabated. Then we started cracking him with the play side AB and put him on the ground a couple times. BF adjusted by having him take the dive instead.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That MLB wasn't waiting to see if JT looked back or not before bolted to the pitch lane. He was long gone by then. Bud Foster switches up the assignments some. We weren't touching the MLB with our OL so he kept filling the pitch lane unabated. Then we started cracking him with the play side AB and put him on the ground a couple times. BF adjusted by having him take the dive instead.

Thanks I will look at this as well .

I take it that in your opinion the head position of qb is not relevant to confuse defenders and it does not provide timely enough info that the play is not TO. If mlb leaves before mesh, he sure leaves a big hole in middle. No respect for bb dive or counter action

Good off season project.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks I will look at this as well .

I take it that in your opinion the head position of qb is not relevant to confuse defenders and it does not provide timely enough info that the play is not TO. If mlb leaves before mesh, he sure leaves a big hole in middle. No respect for bb dive or counter action

Good off season project.
Truthfully, I doubt that anybody uses the QB head position as a key. I don't want to state this as a fact, but I feel it is true. Additionally, in the case in question, I watched enough plays to know that the MLB wasn't waiting for ANYTHING after AB motion to get to the pitch lane. He was very quick to get on his horse and it has nothing to do with lack of respect for the dive, because that was just a matter of assignments. It wasn't like nobody was assigned to the dive. Under BF, they just mix things up. BF kept the MLB heading to the pitch until CPJ showed he could do something to slow him down, then he went to something else. BF is a good coach. He had a game plan, just like CPJ does.

As we move forward as an offense, we are going to have to come up with an effective answer for the deep MLB and DL holding our chipping and releasing OLs. MLBs running free has been the bane of our existence this season. If we have to use the play side AB to cut him, then the playside AB isn't getting to the safety. It has a domino effect. I am not sure what the answer is, but the man advantage has been negated for us for much of the season by a filling MLB who has nobody blocking him. Traditionally, we have used the playside AB to cut safeties or switch roles with WRs who hit the safety while the AB cuts the CB. Much of what I see from opposing DLs looks illegal but it is simply never getting called.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I always thought the speed option was the counter for this. The AB in motion cuts the MLB, and the OLB is the pitch key.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
As we move forward as an offense, we are going to have to come up with an effective answer for the deep MLB and DL holding our chipping and releasing OLs. MLBs running free has been the bane of our existence this season. [...] Much of what I see from opposing DLs looks illegal but it is simply never getting called.

You simply need to look no further than the second play of the game against LSU in 2008. Their DE grabs hold of Austin Barrick and won't let him release.

I don't believe it's getting called because the refs aren't trained to look for it. I know that sounds simplistic, but which official is going to call it? They're all busy missing PI's and offsides calls, anyway.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Traditionally, the counter is used when the MLB runs hard to the outside. But, a good MLB that reads the pulling guard sniffs it out quickly. The power option helps with MLB issues too.

We ran the power option ( BB leads to block the MLB) twice with success.

CPJ ran once with the OT going for the safety and the AB going for the MLB with the AB missing the MLB. The AB released inside the OLB and the MLB got outside of him. ML Davis, as an AB, had some MLB hit early this year that were flagged, but should not have been?