Film Room GT v VPI Slow Motion Review

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I always look forward to our videos . You do a great job . Its interesting to watch your breakdowns of the plays . I have some inside knowledge about blocking assignments , the majority of time you are right on target . keep up the good work . Its one of the highlights of my week ! Thank you .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Longest, you noted when it is a CALLED dive, jt does not position his head like he does when we are doing TO. On the called dive he looks back at the bb and on TO he is looking down the line.

I notice the mlb move up a few yards when jt looks back (called dive) .
But when jt looks down the line (TO), the mlb sprints to the point where the ab will catch the pitch.

Question??Is there a reason we don't do the called dive and the to the same??

The slightest delay of mlb to the edge could be big.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would say the QB head look is a tell... But you have to be really good to use the tell in real time. This tell is after the snap.

I use the tell to help me call a dive versus TO versus a midline when watching film.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.
Sure seems like the mlb who seems to be the spy for the TO pitch would be looking at the qb

Maybe the football savy guys can explain why having him look back is needed and why this is not a tell.
To me it is an error.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thanks.
Sure seems like the mlb who seems to be the spy for the TO pitch would be looking at the qb

Maybe the football savy guys can explain why having him look back is needed and why this is not a tell.
To me it is an error.
Put me in the "we're telegraphing our plays" camp. I don't think every DC we've played suddenly got a lot smarter.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Even though you kept calling Lynch Leggett (I think we're smart enough to know who you meant), this is more fine work, #Longestday. I knew we were having trouble getting the MLB a lot and on the play where he blew up the A back as we were driving toward north end zone, my buddies were wondering why JT didn't see that. It's because he was reading his pitch key correctly and if he had taken his eyes off him, he'd a gotten killed. JT has to trust that somebody is getting the middle linebacker because he can't account for everyone at that moment. When they don't get him, then you get what we had there.

Scubapro

Banned
Thanks again to Longestday for this production...I need to go back and look at last year's film to see if it was mostly Shaq that was getting to the mike linebacker....our problem is NOT JT and his ability to pass to run the option but lack of blocking. Its difficult to run the option when three defenders get to the perimeter before the QB and running back.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Erin Joe and Freddie Burden were blowing up the MLB last year. I think it is all the pinching going on the offensive tackles and centers keeping the MLB clean.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thanks again to Longestday for this production...I need to go back and look at last year's film to see if it was mostly Shaq that was getting to the mike linebacker....our problem is NOT JT and his ability to pass to run the option but lack of blocking. Its difficult to run the option when three defenders get to the perimeter before the QB and running back.
JT can pass but not well usually.That pass to Jeune was not only short but to the wrong side.No reason in the world for us not to score on that play.Of course Jeune is not a speedster either.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Erin Joe and Freddie Burden were blowing up the MLB last year. I think it is all the pinching going on the offensive tackles and centers keeping the MLB clean.

Will Jordan Jenkins be the mike next Saturday? I feel like heis the only really good player on ugags whole team. Btw I love your videos!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One thing I've seen a little more of this year is Dlinenan holding our Oline that release.....refs haven't called one for def holding yet either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing, but I watched the first series (yea for me). Anyway, I wanted to go ahead and make a comment about the "called dive" and the eyes of the QB which has elicited some discussion here. In the first series, that first "called dive" was actually a belly, iiuc. We also run a belly option which is a double option between the QB and A-Back. So, if the D begins to key on JT's eyes and commit hard to stop the B-Back, we can burn them with a big gain on the belly option.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One thing I've seen a little more of this year is Dlinenan holding our Oline that release.....refs haven't called one for def holding yet either.
You are right
In second half the TO was getting blown up at the corner.
The DE would chuck (hold) the OT (Bryan) who was trying to cut off the Mlb 54.
(In the past we would send the center or guard but he was gone before they could get close. Perhaps a faster offensive guard like could get a piece of the mlb. ). The de pushed him till justin was headed towards him. Then he released him to force justin to pitch. By then the MLD was at full speed.
Don't think we will get that holding call. Holding is legal until the guy try's to get away. Wonder if our offensive lineman really pushing the legal limit on holding.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing, but I watched the first series (yea for me). Anyway, I wanted to go ahead and make a comment about the "called dive" and the eyes of the QB which has elicited some discussion here. In the first series, that first "called dive" was actually a belly, iiuc. We also run a belly option which is a double option between the QB and A-Back. So, if the D begins to key on JT's eyes and commit hard to stop the B-Back, we can burn them with a big gain on the belly option.
Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering why the qb looking back? Is there a reason? ?? It sure looked like mlb moved up when he looked back - maybe he is supposed to look back. I am curious?

As I remember the ab was long gone around the end.

I will watch again looking for the double option
Thanks.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Or play action.
QBs in other offenses look at the ball carrier as they hand off, and it isn't considered a tell. Not every play needs to fool the defense.