GT v the Citadel Postgame Press Conference

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
You are contradicting yourself. TO has been great running the ball this year but his passing is terrible. LJ hasn’t been great either so I will concede TO was the better option to play. But you didn’t have the QB to get Camp the ball consistently. Truth is we probably won’t for a while. It will be a long frustrating year.
That's not a contradiction. The point is Patanaude could have consistently utilized either option. The way Camp dominated that DB, TO could have thrown 20 yard ducks into single coverage and it would have worked. Instead, we chose to run plays like a bubble screen to the TE at midfield for negative yards...

slugboy

Staff member
That's not a contradiction. The point is Patanaude could have consistently utilized either option. The way Camp dominated that DB, TO could have thrown 20 yard ducks into single coverage and it would have worked. Instead, we chose to run plays like a bubble screen to the TE at midfield for negative yards...

Bubble screens aren’t great yardage plays on average, but all we had to do is even attempt to block one player. I can understand not agreeing with play selection. Play execution was a much bigger problem.
We had players not looking for someone to block, or blocking the wrong person. Football is an 11-on-11 game and we played 9-on-11 because of mistakes. We weren’t prepped well. This game was lost Sunday-Friday.
You should not give up a sack against an FCS team. Your QB should be able to go easily through their progressions.
QB decision making was slow again. It shouldn’t have mattered as much yesterday, but passes were thrown late all day long.
Sure, you can recruit players who already have the skills you need. But when the players don’t have the skills you need, then you teach them. When you don’t, you get beaten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think Collins gets it. You absolutely can not lose games like this. He talks about building a team and a new culture, but totally blew it regarding the fan support. This was supposed to be a win, a confidence builder. This is not good football. We're playing games like they are practice sessions.
Exactly. Practice is practice. Rebuilding is rebuilding. Recruiting is recruiting. But during the regular season, on game day, you put all that aside and you do whatever it takes to win. Somehow this is lost on Collins & Co at this point. Huge mistake on their part. HUGE.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Wow, so the compaint post Clemson was that we were running too much and not getting the pro style offense we were promised. The complaint now is that we are forcing the pass and not playing to our strenths running. Granted, this doesn't let the staff off the hook. They should ignore us and just do what is best for the team as a whole.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Wow, so the compaint post Clemson was that we were running too much and not getting the pro style offense we were promised. The complaint now is that we are forcing the pass and not playing to our strenths running. Granted, this doesn't let the staff off the hook. They should ignore us and just do what is best for the team as a whole.
There’s no scenario where Tech fans don’t complain, this fanbase may be the most miserable group of people on the planet

Scubapro

Banned
There’s no scenario where Tech fans don’t complain, this fanbase may be the most miserable group of people on the planet
True...but who would be happy after the past two performances? At least Tenner-see didnt lose to a SoCon school.

This coaching staff resembles something from a Monty Python skitt

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The complaint post Clemson is get an identity. The complaint now is the same thing. We have no gameplan.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The complaint post Clemson is get an identity. The complaint now is the same thing. We have no gameplan.

How can one find an identity, if they don’t know who they are?

3 QBs rotating mean the coaches think we have 0

WR is considered the surprise room but we can’t get them the ball due time in the pocket, inaccuracy, & scheme.

OL that was built to run block is not good at that.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Bubble screens aren’t great yardage plays on average, but all we had to do is even attempt to block one player. I can understand not agreeing with play selection. Play execution was a much bigger problem.
We had players not looking for someone to block, or blocking the wrong person. Football is an 11-on-11 game and we played 9-on-11 because of mistakes. We weren’t prepped well. This game was lost Sunday-Friday.
You should not give up a sack against an FCS team. Your QB should be able to go easily through their progressions.
QB decision making was slow again. It shouldn’t have mattered as much yesterday, but passes were thrown late all day long.
Sure, you can recruit players who already have the skills you need. But when the players don’t have the skills you need, then you teach them. When you don’t, you get beaten

Yep. Spot on

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

During the spring game we were doing all kinds of things we aren't doing now, not even against FCS teams. Then in fall camp the O players brag about being 100 times better than in the spring.

Wayxjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I really hope the athletes we are recruiting don't read these posts. I didn't attend Tech. I have a son who will get out this semester. I have been a side walk fan since the eighties and people wonder why I chose to support Tech instead of the dwags. I tell them it was because Tech people are level headed and dont react just to react. Maybe I was wrong. Give Coach Collins and the players a chance. The reactions that I have seen after 2 games is ridiculous. That is all I'm going to say about that. Let the piling on begin. Go Jackets! THWg!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really hope the athletes we are recruiting don't read these posts. I didn't attend Tech. I have a son who will get out this semester. I have been a side walk fan since the eighties and people wonder why I chose to support Tech instead of the dwags. I tell them it was because Tech people are level headed and dont react just to react. Maybe I was wrong. Give Coach Collins and the players a chance. The reactions that I have seen after 2 games is ridiculous. That is all I'm going to say about that. Let the piling on begin. Go Jackets! THWg!
Players are idiots if they read the fan boards. Especially after a historically “monumental” debacle of a loss.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some additional quotes

THE CITADEL HEAD COACH BRENT THOMPSON

Opening Remarks

“It was a tremendous football game, I thought, played on both sides of the football, both Georgia tech and The Citadel. It was an outstanding effort. It certainly was a lot of fun out there. We had many opportunities out there to stay close in the game, and I thought that was important for us. We played excellent on defense. I thought our special teams let us down a little bit and gave them a couple of short yard situations for them, and unfortunately, they were able to get a couple of quick scores off of those. But other than that, I thought we played outstanding offensively and defensively.

“We controlled the ball, almost 41 minutes (41:50) of possession time. We had over 300 yards of rushing, which I think is a recipe for us in the triple option for us to be able to win football games and win football games like that.”

On what the win means for your program

“Certainly a win like this will help us in a lot of different ways. It’ll help us in fundraising, scholarship fundraising, and things that we really need in our football program. That’s why we like to play these games, and we do have an opportunity and we do have a chance.

“Overall it was an outstanding football game for us. Our kicker came through with a hell of a kick, even though he missed one earlier on in the day. He had the two final scores of the day to be able to win it for us. I’m proud of Jacob (Godek) and everything that he’s done. I’m proud of the way our quarterback (Brandon Rainey) played until he got injured. Hopefully we’ll get him back and we’ll have an opportunity there. We had some other Georgia guys who played extremely well, from A-backs in there blocking their butts off to the fullback, Clay Harris from Norcross.

“We’ve got a lot of things to build upon. We played two really good football games the last two weeks; we just came out on the wrong end. This is the team we thought we had back in August, and I thought we put it all together today.”

On the importance of the win personally

“I was the offensive coordinator and part of the South Carolina win, and I saw what kind of a boost it gave us, not only in recruiting, but it also gave us a boost when we walk into every single school, we had some sort of recognition about us. People know our logo. We’d been without that the last couple of years. We had played some pretty good teams pretty close. This was an excellent time for us to get this kind of a win. This is what we needed as a program, what I needed to get this program going in the right direction for the rest of this season, because we’ve got our whole conference schedule to play after this.”

On preparing for two quarterbacks

“It was very difficult – one that throws it a little bit better, and one that can certainly hurt you with his legs. We knew, being a triple option quarterback, you have to treat him like a triple option quarterback. That’s what he was recruited here to do. He’s a tremendous football athlete, and he did a tremendous job out there. It was extremely difficult for our defense just to be able to contain those guys. They do have some really good running backs out there, as well as their quarterbacks becoming running backs. I know they’re finding their way on offense a little bit. Offensive line-wise, I know they’ve mixed and matched a little bit. But I thought our defense was able to hang in there and hold them just as much as we possibly could.”

On injuries today

“We’ve got to evaluate those, but I don’t think we’ve got anything too significant. We had one particular play out there where Phil (Davis), our linebacker, went down. We’ve got to evaluate it and see what he’s got. Brandon (Rainey) went down with a knee, but I think should be OK. It looked like he was moving around all right. Hopefully we’ll be all right next week for our Charleston Southern game.”

On next week’s game against Charleston Southern

“It’s a good time to have a rivalry game for us. We had lost three straight to them until last year, so we’ve got a little bit of catching up to do. We just need to continue to do what we do. We’re not a special flashy football team. We just need to be the team we know that we are.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GEORGIA TECH PLAYERS

DAVID CURRY, LINEBACKER, R-SR

On how to prepare for the Temple game:

“We are going to come in and go to work. It is going to be good to get our legs back underneath us, but we’ve got a lot of work to do and we all know that. One thing for sure is that we are going to stick together as a team. Each one of us loves each other. There is a lot of work to do so we are going to come into this bye week knowing it’s another work week.”

On what made stopping The Citadel difficult:

“It comes down to guys doing their jobs. It starts up front and then to the linebackers and then to the secondaries and everybody’s got to do their job. At certain points, guys just didn’t do their jobs. At other points, it’s when drives should have been over and people just do stuff like 15-yard penalties here, 15-yard penalties there. The Citadel, they were the better team today, but it was us and we were the reason.”

JALEN CAMP, WIDE RECIEVER, SR

On his two catches:

“In this offense, compared to last year, we are given more opportunities. I just took those two chances today to make the most of them and one of them just happened to be a touchdown.”

On what the offense can improve on going forward:

“It comes with the offensive getting on the same page. We are just hurting ourselves. We need to make sure the quarterback is on the same page as the running back, and the blockers see the perimeter. We just all need to be on the same page. On a couple of drives we were not.”

On what they need to do in the next two weeks:

“First, we are gonna watch the film and correct the things that we messed up on. There were a lot of things we need to fix. Next step, is to put the loss behind us and stay optimistic to what is to come.”

JORDAN MASON, RUNNING BACK, R-SO

On what The Citadel was doing well on offense:

“You’ve got to give credit to The Citadel. They ran the triple option and they ran it the way it is supposed to be run. We tried to do our thing on our side, and we were supposed to take care of the ball more and score touchdowns every time we touch the ball.”

On the offensive line’s performance:

“It’s always a blessing to have a line like I have. Jahaziel [Lee] went down, Hamp Gibbs had to step up. I’m glad that it wasn’t new to him. Coach [Geoff] Collins always emphasizes that everyone always gets the same reps, so I’m just glad that he got reps in. I give credit to the offensive line. They did their thing and we just came up short.”