GT v the Citadel Postgame Press Conference

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, so the compaint post Clemson was that we were running too much and not getting the pro style offense we were promised. The complaint now is that we are forcing the pass and not playing to our strenths running. Granted, this doesn't let the staff off the hook. They should ignore us and just do what is best for the team as a whole.

Can’t say that . Sure some people want to run more some want to pass more but neither are monolithic opinions. Just be cause one wants something dosent mean everyone else does

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people need to start realizing we are putting these players in the right position. It’s just not working out. We aren’t good. Period.

You can give a carpenter a hammer but if he gets one swing at the nail and is then switched it dosent help him learn anything .

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Practice is practice. Rebuilding is rebuilding. Recruiting is recruiting. But during the regular season, on game day, you put all that aside and you do whatever it takes to win. Somehow this is lost on Collins & Co at this point. Huge mistake on their part. HUGE.

Please, the insinuation that any such thing is lost on CGC, Thacker, T.C., Key, Marco is absurd and you dont believe it.

The transition has gone worse than i thought because we had, i thought, some super athletes that would shine at qb & wr. They might still.

The bad recruiting, or maybe just lack of depth at OL & DL is hurting.

OL injuries could kill us.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
How can one find an identity, if they don’t know who they are?

3 QBs rotating mean the coaches think we have 0

WR is considered the surprise room but we can’t get them the ball due time in the pocket, inaccuracy, & scheme.

OL that was built to run block is not good at that.
Coaches are compensated well. If they can’t figure out against Citadel, then that’s the problem.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Triple option not Oliver
Still not really sure what you are asking me? But I’m giving team a pass on D. I thought we looked real bad, and had their QB not went down, we don’t even get to OT. But given we have shown improvements in games vs USF and even Clemson, technique wise and scheme wise, I chalk this up to 3O and growing pains.

I’m talking about looking completely lost on O for third game in a row, this time with an unquestionably less talented opponent.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Now that Tech has hit rock bottom and the grandiose expectations have evaporated, time to start building for next year. Play a young QB (Graham or Yates). Like Bob Dylan sang, “...when you ain’t got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose.”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here are some additional quotes

THE CITADEL HEAD COACH BRENT THOMPSON

Opening Remarks

“It was a tremendous football game, I thought, played on both sides of the football, both Georgia tech and The Citadel. It was an outstanding effort. It certainly was a lot of fun out there. We had many opportunities out there to stay close in the game, and I thought that was important for us. We played excellent on defense. I thought our special teams let us down a little bit and gave them a couple of short yard situations for them, and unfortunately, they were able to get a couple of quick scores off of those. But other than that, I thought we played outstanding offensively and defensively.

“We controlled the ball, almost 41 minutes (41:50) of possession time. We had over 300 yards of rushing, which I think is a recipe for us in the triple option for us to be able to win football games and win football games like that.”

On what the win means for your program

“Certainly a win like this will help us in a lot of different ways. It’ll help us in fundraising, scholarship fundraising, and things that we really need in our football program. That’s why we like to play these games, and we do have an opportunity and we do have a chance.

“Overall it was an outstanding football game for us. Our kicker came through with a hell of a kick, even though he missed one earlier on in the day. He had the two final scores of the day to be able to win it for us. I’m proud of Jacob (Godek) and everything that he’s done. I’m proud of the way our quarterback (Brandon Rainey) played until he got injured. Hopefully we’ll get him back and we’ll have an opportunity there. We had some other Georgia guys who played extremely well, from A-backs in there blocking their butts off to the fullback, Clay Harris from Norcross.

“We’ve got a lot of things to build upon. We played two really good football games the last two weeks; we just came out on the wrong end. This is the team we thought we had back in August, and I thought we put it all together today.”

On the importance of the win personally

“I was the offensive coordinator and part of the South Carolina win, and I saw what kind of a boost it gave us, not only in recruiting, but it also gave us a boost when we walk into every single school, we had some sort of recognition about us. People know our logo. We’d been without that the last couple of years. We had played some pretty good teams pretty close. This was an excellent time for us to get this kind of a win. This is what we needed as a program, what I needed to get this program going in the right direction for the rest of this season, because we’ve got our whole conference schedule to play after this.”

On preparing for two quarterbacks

“It was very difficult – one that throws it a little bit better, and one that can certainly hurt you with his legs. We knew, being a triple option quarterback, you have to treat him like a triple option quarterback. That’s what he was recruited here to do. He’s a tremendous football athlete, and he did a tremendous job out there. It was extremely difficult for our defense just to be able to contain those guys. They do have some really good running backs out there, as well as their quarterbacks becoming running backs. I know they’re finding their way on offense a little bit. Offensive line-wise, I know they’ve mixed and matched a little bit. But I thought our defense was able to hang in there and hold them just as much as we possibly could.”

On injuries today

“We’ve got to evaluate those, but I don’t think we’ve got anything too significant. We had one particular play out there where Phil (Davis), our linebacker, went down. We’ve got to evaluate it and see what he’s got. Brandon (Rainey) went down with a knee, but I think should be OK. It looked like he was moving around all right. Hopefully we’ll be all right next week for our Charleston Southern game.”

On next week’s game against Charleston Southern

“It’s a good time to have a rivalry game for us. We had lost three straight to them until last year, so we’ve got a little bit of catching up to do. We just need to continue to do what we do. We’re not a special flashy football team. We just need to be the team we know that we are.”
Okay, Paul Johnson, put down that Brent Thompson mask and confess.

But more seriously -- well, actually it is pretty serious that what Tech saw was a flat out copy cat, and if Johnson ever had another playbook, theft of the spread option right up to the nomenclature of A and B backs which I always hated. But: one of the excuses we have had for years about our defense is that it practiced all week against the triple option and then played against zone reads or RPOs or other funky alignments. The misguided "diamond" comes to mind. So here we were, playing just a year removed from our own offense, and it gets 300 yards and 42 minutes TOP on us.

No message conveyed; it just makes me wonder.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just a welcomed change for GT.
Please convey to the board examples you apparently have of the previous staff shunning blame. I recall just one, a misguided 4th and 20 or so when Johnson appeared to shift it to assistant coaches. That's over 11 years. But his standard was they have to coach better and they have to play better. Seems fair to me, but maybe you have selected quotes?