GT Top 30

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll always contend that, while his stats as a college player at GT are notable, Shump did so to the detriment of the team. He greatly advanced as a team player once in the NBA, but while at GT, he should've never been a PG (the position he believed he was in the NBA that Hewitt cowtowed to) and he didn't do enough to make those around him better (did a terrible job feeding the post when we had Favors & Lawal).

People bag on Favors, but while he had a learning curve on the front end of the season, people need to remember, he basically took it upon himself on the back end of the season to get us to our last tourney appearance. He was a young kid that was a college monster by the end of the season.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Im surprised people are saying Lawal. He was pretty good, but the biggest black hole ever. Also was terrible free throw shooter. I remember they would double or triple him in the post and he would still try some crazy fadeaway off the glass lol. Didnt believe in the pass.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'll always contend that, while his stats as a college player at GT are notable, Shump did so to the detriment of the team. He greatly advanced as a team player once in the NBA, but while at GT, he should've never been a PG (the position he believed he was in the NBA that Hewitt cowtowed to) and he didn't do enough to make those around him better (did a terrible job feeding the post when we had Favors & Lawal).

People bag on Favors, but while he had a learning curve on the front end of the season, people need to remember, he basically took it upon himself on the back end of the season to get us to our last tourney appearance. He was a young kid that was a college monster by the end of the season.
I hear you, but I think he was similar to MGH this year except he didn't need to be told to be a ball hog. I realize that means mentally he's a completely different player, but I think he did what he had to do. Of course he wasn't a PG, but he was the best basketball player on the court when he stepped on it and he had to do something. I still think Favors' turn-around was due to other factors than learning curve. Hewitt taking away cell phones made him turn the corner. Makes you wonder how good we could have been that season if he was there mentally. I'll bag on him for that more than his ability, clearly he has that.