GT Top 30

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly the whole reason behind the urgency to get someone in place was to get in on the "Georgia Recruits" in the upcoming class. We obviously didn't get the big splash hire and instead took a chance on a previous up and comer who wasn't all he was hyped to be at his last stop. We're all hoping a change of scenery will provide a second chance/ fresh start and now that the head coach "learning curve" is over will excel for us. It's unlikely we go on a tear and get a bunch of top targets.

That being said, not sure why there's still a sense of urgency to get his staff filled out. It' not like you're recruiting 25 bodies (OL, DL, LB, QB, WR, RB, etc) , he's after 3 or 4 right? A big guy, a PG a SG and a F. He needs a Price, an Yvon Joseph, a Barry and a Harpring/MGH. I say he needs to take his time and staff out a leadership team that will propel us the next 10 years. Next 2 years are going to be rugged given the chain of events anyway most likely. Year 3 we'd better be seeing glimmers of hope otherwise we're going to lose another decade. His staff's going to help make that happen. We don't need a bunch of rapidly filled disconnected assistants. We need the right people in the right roles.
why does it say Harpring/MGH MGH was a good player however Harpring was one of the top 10 players in Georgia tech history while MGH couldn't crack the top 30 at least

LibertyTurns

Banned
why does it say Harpring/MGH MGH was a good player however Harpring was one of the top 10 players in Georgia tech history while MGH couldn't crack the top 30 at least
To me they were both unselfish players that did what the team needed. I wasn't suggesting the new coach needs to possess the foresight, capability, etc to recruit an all-star team right off the bat while getting a late start in the recruiting game. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if he did. What I was suggesting was he recruit a core group of character guys like Cremins did and build from there. The examples were just some of my personal favorites that I pulled out of my butt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To me they were both unselfish players that did what the team needed. I wasn't suggesting the new coach needs to possess the foresight, capability, etc to recruit an all-star team right off the bat while getting a late start in the recruiting game. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if he did. What I was suggesting was he recruit a core group of character guys like Cremins did and build from there. The examples were just some of my personal favorites that I pulled out of my butt.

Well, you definitely had some great GT Bball players up your butt!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure I agree with this. MGH was definitely not Harpring, but he is something like 12th on our all time scoring list isn't he?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Assuming that I don't have another brain shart trying to do math, this is what I come up with without actually trying to look at the actual data.
Assuming that the best players over the last 30-35 years were among the 5 starters on their team, and that they started on average 2.5 - 3 years, then we're talking about 50-70 guys. Saying, that MGH is top 30, is saying that he's been in the top 50% of our starters over the last 30-35 years and that GT didn't have that many much better players in the decades previous. It doesn't seem that unlikely to me.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Salley Price Forrest Hammonds Best Kenny Harpring Elder Steph Alvin Faye Dion Drew Barry Collier Gani Favors Jack Bosh Bynum Thad Oliver Scott

I'd put MGH in there with Ish, Maddox etc. all the other guys up top I would rank over MGH. Back end of the 30 best in the last 35 years isn't out of the question.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Salley Price Forrest Hammonds Best Kenny Harpring Elder Steph Alvin Faye Dion Drew Barry Collier Gani Favors Jack Bosh Bynum Thad Oliver Scott

I'd put MGH in there with Ish, Maddox etc. all the other guys up top I would rank over MGH. Back end of the 30 best in the last 35 years isn't out of the question.
For the love of God, use some commas.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Did you slip Muhammad Faye (aka The Condor) in there or am I forgetting someone else?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I have to disagree. I'd put MGH on par with Brian Oliver (the First) and Lawal; and ahead of Bynum, Faye (that was a joke, right?), Drew Barry, and maybe Jon Barry. I think his contribution to the team eclispses Dion, Stephon, Bosh, Favors and Thad because they were all one-and-done's. I think he elevated this team, and at times put it on his back, like Lawal did. Just my opinion though.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree. I'd put MGH on par with Brian Oliver (the First) and Lawal; and ahead of Bynum, Faye (that was a joke, right?), Drew Barry, and maybe Jon Barry. I think his contribution to the team eclispses Dion, Stephon, Bosh, Favors and Thad because they were all one-and-done's. I think he elevated this team, and at times put it on his back, like Lawal did. Just my opinion though.

Yeah I'd remove all the one and dones, none of them except bosh made a lasting impression in my opinion. Think in actuality most of those one and dones left us in bad shape.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Also MGH didn't have much help for most of his time at Tech. Just think if he'd had more talent around him. Mean really....he had to play point guard this year.