Georges-Hunt
Y Joseph
B Dalrymple
B Oliver
Tico Brown
BJ Elder

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All of these lists and I haven't seen Shumpert's name on any of them (maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough). I'd put him above many, many on these lists. Other names no one has mentioned are Martice Moore and Malcolm Mackey. With some of the names being bantered about, how guys like this get left off surprises me.

However, the question is about MGH, so I'm not looking at who "became" the best players, but who were the best players while at Tech. To me, that changes the dynamics of the list. I'd put MGH, Gani Lawal, B.J. Elder, Brian Oliver (1st) in the same catagory. Gani was a 4 and BJ a 2, but these guys were scorers who could shoot the outside and score going to the basket. They all were the unequivocable leaders on their respective teams. I think MGH will play at the next level, but it may not be NBA. He wasn't a superstar, but he was a solid go-to guy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
While it is great to see Tico, Drummer and Steppe in the mix, we would need to add Yunkus at minimum if you are looking for "all time" status.

I do think MGH gets short shrifted in this discussion though mostly due to the teams he played on. He was a lone ray of light in a really deep dark place. Whereas someone like Mackey had the advantage of really good players around him which made him better. All subjective but a factor that I would use in trying to create a ranking.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
If Cuse had list of Top Syracuse players, wonder how it would line up. Pearl passed away this week he would be on the list.
I thought about Yunkus, but never saw him play, most would say he's no 1.
Left Favors off - pure talent he was up there with the best, but he only played one year and only started impacting right before ACC tourney. Bosh was more impact right away.
Forgot Alvin Jones??, the great shot blocker/rebounder, he may should be in instead of Bosh as Bosh only played one year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am dividing my list differently.

Most important to GT basketball in their career as a player:

Mark Price
John Salley
Malcolm Mackey
Marcus Georges-Hunt
BJ Elder
Roger Kaiser

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Best players while at GT:

Mark Price
Kenny Anderson
Dennis Scott
Jarrett Jack
Stephon Marbury

Matt Harpring
Tom Hammonds
Malcolm Mackey
Bruce Dalrymple
Brian Oliver

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am dividing my list differently.

Most important to GT basketball in their career as a player:

Mark Price
John Salley
Malcolm Mackey
Marcus Georges-Hunt
BJ Elder
Roger Kaiser
After I posted this, I saw where these old timey guys were not considered. So I would replace Roger Kaiser with Jarrett Jack.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
All of these lists and I haven't seen Shumpert's name on any of them (maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough). I'd put him above many, many on these lists. Other names no one has mentioned are Martice Moore and Malcolm Mackey. With some of the names being bantered about, how guys like this get left off surprises me..

Agree with you on Shumpert. I think a lot of guys are getting put on people's lists because they were on good teams and a lot of people are lower (MGH) or left off (Shumpert) because they were on bad teams. Shumpert was a UNC slayer. Beat them 4/5 times he played them while here and it burned Roy's @$$ because he tried so hard to get Shump to UNC. Also a first round draft pick and returns to the Institute despite not being from Georgia and playing ball in Cleveland (I know they play the Hawks every once in a while)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I look at Hunt like I look at Daniel Miller. Very good player who played a larger roll than he probably should have, especially earlier in their careers, because the state of the teams and the general lack of competition for the spots. Hunt was the better scorer and played at a position that was less reliant on others to be effective on the offensive end, but Miller was a better defender, rebounder, and ,imo, passer. I think both are behind guys like Shump or Jack, and all of them are behind the true legends like Anderson and Scott.