GT to play at MB stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Last time Clemson played in BDS the crowd was predominately orange, so they'll probably have the home crowd advantage, anyway.

Don't understand it. I guess $ will win out, but man. Those are ourmarquee home games, and we want to remove our home field advantage? I think all of us would much prefer BDS, especially considering our record in the Dome-the Benz.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
This is mind bogglingly stupid. Season ticket sales are going great, people are locking in their seats for the upcoming seasons and you give away your two best games to the MBS. Neutral games like UT I understand but the only appearence by ND in 10 years and you move the game? Apparently there IS a better venue for college football in Atlanta than BDS. If its a construction thing, move all the games, otherwise this just kills any "branding" momentum you have. Just dumb.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't understand it. I guess $ will win out, but man. Those are ourmarquee home games, and we want to remove our home field advantage? I think all of us would much prefer BDS, especially considering our record in the Dome-the Benz.

I don't like it either...those games under the lights at BDS could be magical.

Of course, maybe there's an agreement that GT gets first rights to the tickets, then sold to opposing team if tickets aren't bought after a certain period. In that case, the onus is on GT fans to step up to make it GT's home field advantage.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is mind bogglingly stupid. Season ticket sales are going great, people are locking in their seats for the upcoming seasons and you give away your two best games to the MBS. Neutral games like UT I understand but the only appearence by ND in 10 years and you move the game? Apparently there IS a better venue for college football in Atlanta than BDS. If its a construction thing, move all the games, otherwise this just kills any "branding" momentum you have. Just dumb.

Wouldn't it be part of the season ticket package?

jacket71

Georgia Tech Fan
It would, but lets say you buy season tickets in the upper east on the 40, you think you are going to get those tickets in the Dome? Hardly. Without a legitimate logistical reason to play our home games at BDS, Stansbury blew this one.
Agree. I have had tickets in 106 for years, 40+ years of season tickets. At the UT game we were on the side of the end zone. From the 50 to the -5 yd line is not a fair move.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I like it. Love bds, hate the concessions so that will be nice. Tailgating at mbs sucks though. Hopefully this will be early season games when it’s hot af outside. If we get substantial revenue increases from this I’m all for it. Gotta make some sacrifices to be successful. Certainly don’t see gt making any academic sacrifices.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Many of you are are reacting to Kelly Quinlan's tweet. He knows nothing beyond there being a press conference tomorrow. Based on what I've been told, GT is DEFINITELY NOT moving two games in 2020 to MBS.

I hope you are correct.

I would like to know who came up with this idea and exactly what the difference in pay out is at Da Benz versus BDS. My opinion, whatever that amount is, not worth it.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The AJC is reporting it.
I have no idea what will actually happen but the AJC is speculating on it, not reporting it. This is the only part of the story that is fact:

Georgia Tech has announced a news conference for Tuesday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, with officials from the AMB Group (the parent company of the stadium and the Falcons) and the Peach Bowl to be present.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's all about the money...

"As a result of its coaching transition, Tech’s athletic department finds itself in a financial pinch and perhaps more interested than usual in moving home games out of Bobby Dodd Stadium for the right price. The change from Paul Johnson to Collins cost about $6 million, and the athletic department was already anticipating running a deficit of $2.8 million for the 2020 fiscal year. The changeover will deplete the department’s reserve fund, which stood at about $6.65 million at the start of the fiscal year in July."

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Will reserve judgment until the final details are announced. But I am not in favor of moving a home conference game to MBS. I can’t imagine moving more than one home game from BDS in any one year unless the Tech fund fee is appropriately decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.