GT @ Syracuse 2/22 @ 4pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing is Cuse outplayed us in the second half. They may have made the comeback anyways because they started the second half making some just great plays and we didn't play particularly well. However the refs were so different on both sides of the court. We weren't allowed to have basically any contact while Cuse was able to steadily increase the physicality with no recourse until the point their play was putting our guys in danger. Only then did the refs actually start calling anything on Cuse and by then they had a lead, momentum, and the crowd behind them. Now we didn't handle their play all that well and may have lost anyways, but we will never know now. Because the refs allowed one team to play a certain way and the other team not.

Earlier in the year Brey went off on the refs and they had 2.5 times more FTs than us. Now Boeheim goes off on the refs at the half and suddenly we're down 8-1 in fouls to begin the second half. If you are a veteran coach in this league you can have so much influence on the refs that it is ridiculous.

I honestly believe going off on the coaches gets you more favorable calls. It happens in the nba too, with Draymond and other similar players.

It's gamemanship and a viable strategy, especially as the game wears on. Just not one that benefitted us.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is the ACC. Run by swofford.

I doubt there is any conference where directives are more specific about refs making sure fouls are called with an eye towards post season than ours is.

ACC football refs are just second rate. ACC basketball refs are just not on the up & up.

This is the swofford & n.c. mafia run ACC.

Deleted member 2897

We’ve been called for 51 fouls the last 2 games. That’s large enough for the ACC to do a review. That is shockingly horrible - especially when you consider we lead for like 70 of those 80 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think Syracuse made a deliberate adjustment at halftime - which was to play "hack-a-shak" against Moses. In reality it's a great strategy if the refs won't ever call a foul on you.

Moses got beaten like a piñata against Syracuse - particularly in the second half.

But, we also went away from what was working in the first half. Less ball movement. Less patience. Fewer open 3's and fewer looks from the middle.

/

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We had 5 more turnovers than them in the second half and got called for NINETEEN fouls IN THE SECOND HALF. They had 24 free throw attempts.....IN THE SECOND HALF.

All Refs can go **** themselves. They ruin every sport they touch.
To your point...Typically, our huge TO margins have led to the other team getting a lot more FG attempts than us but yesterday wasn’t the case. We had 1 more made FG than them and 1 more 3 than they did. This game was truly lost at the FT line and how the game was officiated in the 2nd half.

Deleted member 2897

To your point...Typically, our huge TO margins have led to the other team getting a lot more FG attempts than us but yesterday wasn’t the case. We had 1 more made FG than them and 1 more 3 than they did. This game was truly lost at the FT line and how the game was officiated in the 2nd half.

Yep. Most of the stats were pretty even. We shot a higher %FG than they did and a higher %3PT than they did. But the difference in fouls was obnoxiously enormous. They had something like 15 more free throw attempts at the line in the second half...10 more overall. Despite the fact we were the team comfortably ahead for 75% of the game.

This game was the epitome of how we can be 3rd in the ACC in combined %FG on offense and %FG on defense, yet be way down in the standings. It seems like its either turnovers, or the Refs have a field day on us.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Syracuse made a deliberate adjustment at halftime - which was to play "hack-a-shak" against Moses. In reality it's a great strategy if the refs won't ever call a foul on you.

Moses got beaten like a piñata against Syracuse - particularly in the second half.

But, we also went away from what was working in the first half. Less ball movement. Less patience. Fewer open 3's and fewer looks from the middle.

/

I’m not sure what adjustments Syracuse made at half, but I heard either Andy or Randy say that Syracuse went from shooting ~25% in the first half to ~65% in the second. CBS Sports says 27% in the first half to 64% in the second. On air, they were saying that Syracuse had gotten hot and harder to defend.

There were a ton of plays that could have made a difference (hitting the front end of 1 and 1’s, for example), but it seems that our defense let us down in the second half.

Based on the recruiting restrictions Syracuse has had, I would think their bench would be shallower than ours, but they had two more players score than we did.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20200222_GATECH@CUSE/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Syracuse compressed and shifted their back line zone defense up to stop Moses from operating in the lane in the second half. As a result, the low post and short corner were wide open to our offense for most of the second half, but we failed to recognize the opportunity and do anything with it on most possessions.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse compressed and shifted their back line zone defense up to stop Moses from operating in the lane in the second half. As a result, the low post and short corner were wide open to our offense for most of the second half, but we failed to recognize the opportunity and do anything with it on most possessions.

Yep - we had openings but didn't adjust. The rocket passes to Cole were not going to get it done. I felt sorry for him trying to catch some of those things. Couple of other observations specific to the game:

Usher was the one who really had a bad game. I can't believe they only have him for 2 TOs - but regardless he was so out of control on offense taking the ball to the teeth of the zone and throwing up gradu that Pastner couldn't/didn't play him much in the second half. That meant Jose was guarding Hughes a lot more than he should have with ripple effects for DeVoe and especially Bubba having to step up against harder matchups. Usher was -13 +/- for the game

The refs certainly didn't help us in the second half - especially the way they bodied and hacked Moses - but the biggest change after halftime was they became the aggressor and we didn't match them. You have to expect an ACC team is going to do that at home - especially one with a HOF coach and a proud tradition. Moses gets credit for playing both halves but we had multiple other players who didn't. CJP gets some "credit" as well.

One other sign of not being the aggressor or having the energy that SYR did was we got several transition baskets in the first half - none in the second. SYR got the transition baskets in the second half by having more energy than we did. They ended up beating us 21-9 in transition points. Energy was as big an issue as TOs and FTs - which were also big.

With the way they were playing the zone against Moses we should have had all the 3 point shots we wanted or at least had great driving lanes as they closed out as recklessly as they did. I don't know why but Jose and especially DeVoe would not take seemingly open shots with a close out any where near them. Don't know if they just don't feel like they can get up to shoot over a close out or what but they had shots ACC guards need to take. They also had driving opportunities off of fakes to the close out that they couldn't capitalize on. When SYR went all in to take away Moses they had to step up.

Overall, another reminder that we are unfortunately at best a middle of the glob ACC team in a down year.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think he had us in mind, but from Fran Fraschilla:

@franfraschilla: Coaches: Do you practice “1st 3 minutes of 2nd Half” with your team? It’s toughness mindset. Must warmup well, then screen & blockout hard, get all 50-50 balls, attack the basket & don’t settle for contested shots. Don’t let 1st 20 minutes go to waste with poor start to 2nd Half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We have little depth-- so AWAY and 2nd halfs are going to kill us --especially. How many HARD 40 min games can JA play?
Parham and Usher were 2 -12 in FGs.Banks (6-10 ft) had ONE, yes ONE Reb in 25? mins.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We have little depth-- so AWAY and 2nd halfs are going to kill us --especially. How many HARD 40 min games can JA play?
Parham and Usher were 2 -12 in FGs.Banks (6-10 ft) had ONE, yes ONE Reb in 25? mins.
Baks has turned into a softee!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What Moses did Saturday was good, and he has my respect for what he's accomplished end of last year and this year. He has exceeded my expectations and he's a bonafide ACC player with still a lot of upside. I have at times joked about his propensity to take 3's, but those comments are always meant as a criticism of coaching, not him.

But with respect to Saturday there's a reason a number of players have had career games against Syracuse this year. Simply, the zone and 'Cuse's bigs are a shadow of what they've been historically on the defensive end. Moses' postgame comments attribute his success partly to teammates and as a product of who we were playing. He gave credit to Banks for sealing guys to keep the lane wide open. I'd venture that nearly half of his points were off uncontested shots within 5 feet.

"Everybody's good against us. We've made a lot of big guys into All-Americans, big guys are averaging like 24 and 10 rebounds against us. Some of them aren't very good since they've played us like the Penn State guy, the Oklahoma State guy," Boeheim said. "We're just not good in the middle." - Feb 1, 2020

I'll also add that in December when we faced Syracuse, Pastner said before and after the game that we needed 25 and 15 out of Moses. He understands the match-up advantage.

**Moved this from ACC discussion to not take that thread off topic

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cuse - you are correct about SYR and it is a fine line not to take/use that as a way to minimize what Moses did. You still have to play hard and skilled enough to take advantage of a mismatch which he did - and Banks really didn't despite the fact he was very good at sealing defenders in the zone. Banks needed to do more as did our guards in the second half.

But Moses is doing it now almost every night. Not to 25 and 15 but he is the scoring and rebounding presence in the 15 foot in area. I give him a ton of credit for development and how he has played.