GT @ Syracuse 2/22 @ 4pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agreed..I think we will see that, but he must play under control. When he starts trying to do too much, it has a tendency to implode.

Moses should also play a big role from there. I think we have the tools to score against the zone, can we do it.
I find him interesting to watch. Incredible, almost explosive athletic ability. It’s almost as if the game’s moving too fast for him like he’s a green Freshman, then the light switch comes on & he’s suddenly completely under control and playing at a very high level. It seemingly can go off as fast as it came on.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
To me this game is all about Moses Wright in the middle of that zone below the free throw line. If we make it a point of getting him the ball there, we have a chance. If we don't, we lose handily.

When Wright gets the ball in the middle of the zone, if he turns and faces and gets shots up from there, good things will happen. That will allow Usher and Banks and Cole to hit the offensive boards underneath those two post defenders. Even is Moses misses the shots, we have a good chance on the offensive boards by attacking the zone in this way. However, if Moses gets the ball but instead of facing he kicks the ball out or tries to back down into the double teams, nothing good will happen and we lose.

Therefore, If Moses shoots 15+ shots in the game and scores 25 points we win. If he does not lead the team in shots attempted and scores around his average, we lose.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
To me this game is all about Moses Wright in the middle of that zone below the free throw line. If we make it a point of getting him the ball there, we have a chance. If we don't, we lose handily.

When Wright gets the ball in the middle of the zone, if he turns and faces and gets shots up from there, good things will happen. That will allow Usher and Banks and Cole to hit the offensive boards underneath those two post defenders. Even is Moses misses the shots, we have a good chance on the offensive boards by attacking the zone in this way. However, if Moses gets the ball but instead of facing he kicks the ball out or tries to back down into the double teams, nothing good will happen and we lose.

Therefore, If Moses shoots 15+ shots in the game and scores 25 points we win. If he does not lead the team in shots attempted and scores around his average, we lose.
Agree. My recollection is Moses played the zone well last time around.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure he has to take the most shots of anyone but he for sure has to be active and a threat at the FT line. And I too like him there more than our other options. Good things happen if they have to adjust to him there. Guards dig back on him - open shots for DeVoe/Jose and driving lanes for Usher. Plus the high low action you mention. We should be able to score. I worry about stopping them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think we can have success with any of Moses, Joses, or Jordan in the middle of the zone. When we go with 3 guards probably putting Jose in the middle makes sense because he can still kick out to Mike/Bubba, or find cutters/post up.

With our starters I would actually like to see more of a fluid center with Moses and Jordan cutting hard to the center and trying to get the ball deeper vs just setting up shop there and potentially getting pushed further out.

Deleted member 2897

I find him interesting to watch. Incredible, almost explosive athletic ability. It’s almost as if the game’s moving too fast for him like he’s a green Freshman, then the light switch comes on & he’s suddenly completely under control and playing at a very high level. It seemingly can go off as fast as it came on.

Well remember, he didn’t play basketball until his senior year of high school. So what you’re noticing is probably a symptom of the fact that he doesn’t have a decade under his belt growing up in the sport like most of the other folks do.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The guy at the high post needs to 1) be a threat to knock that shot down consistently or take it assertively to the basket, and 2) ideally a good passer. Jose checks both boxes. Not sure the others do, but maybe someone has stats showing mid-range success.

Otherwise, Syracuse will bait that player to hit the shot; not dig or bring the center up. Long two attempts by inconsistent shooters are pretty much the ideal outcome for Syracuse (maybe any defense), aside from a turnover.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - I have a major assumption Moses can and will hit a 15 foot jumper. He doesn't do that and we go to plan B down 10 or more.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The guy at the high post needs to 1) be a threat to knock that shot down consistently or take it assertively to the basket, and 2) ideally a good passer. Jose checks both boxes. Not sure the others do, but maybe someone has stats showing mid-range success.

Otherwise, Syracuse will bait that player to hit the shot; not dig or bring the center up. Long two attempts by inconsistent shooters are pretty much the ideal outcome for Syracuse (maybe any defense), aside from a turnover.

If I'm Cuse and Moses catches the ball at the freethrow line, I'm challenging him, not because of fear of the midrange, but because I'd be worried he'd take one power dribble and elevate for a shot. Since Cuse doesn't really have a true rim protector that's not the situation I'd want to see if I was them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm Cuse and Moses catches the ball at the freethrow line, I'm challenging him, not because of fear of the midrange, but because I'd be worried he'd take one power dribble and elevate for a shot. Since Cuse doesn't really have a true rim protector that's not the situation I'd want to see if I was them.
I hear you and like you said wouldn't be surprised to see token pressure to force/bait the jump shot. Comes back to my earlier point where aggressiveness at the rim is the most reliable way to attack and it's due to 1) no rim protection, 2) foul prone bigs/no depth and 3) weak rebounding team.

Said in the postseason that 'Cuse' biggest loss wasn't Battle, nor Brissett, nor Howard. It was Chukwu. Still believe that.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we can win. If Syracuse shoots good from 3 we will loose if they dont we will win. So to me depends on our 3pt D. Specifically if we can keep Hughes in check.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
At this point, I think all our games come down to how many turnovers we have. If we keep that <13, we will win more often than not - ND being the weird outlier.
I was at the ND game, second row on the floor in my Marbury jersey. We missed too many shots at the rim, topped off by a missed dunk as ND went on their mini run. I agree we need to get inside and utilize our size advantage, I’ll also contend that we need to finish at the rim.