GT should be ranked in the top 25

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think losing to South Florida and Pitt set us way back in the eyes of folks that vote in these polls. Beating UVA will get us some votes. Then you have to play Georgia and if we lose there we will lose those newly acquired votes. The best thing for us is to win against Virginia and win our bowl game. We'll get some votes and might barely crack the top 25, but realistically we'll probably be somewhere in the top 30 teams. Now if we beat Georgia, forget everything I wrote.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I KNOW this post is MOSTLY just ranting. I WISH we were a top 25 team team, but sadly ,it just ain't so. We are playing better as the season goes on and my hope is that CPJ keeps the team focused on IMPROVING, or UVA will be OUR trap game. We have a ways to go , IMO, before we should even be in consideration for the top 25. Let's not get ahead of ourselves....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Not really being serious but the rankings are absolutely crazy to me. SEC gets so much love. UK barley beat an unranked Vandy and Missouri and then got trashed by UGA and beat up on by unranked UT, yet they are ranked 12th and above a 9-0 UCF and 8-2 Syracuse. Then you have Miss st ranked 16th with 4 L’s. LSU is ranked above teams that have been more impressive, and they are above 4 teams with better records. GT has as good of a record as 4 teams in the top 25. GT is 4-0 over the last 4 games while Miss st and Auburn are both 2-2 over the last 4 weeks.

GT is literally playing better than 11 teams that are in the top 25 since the Clemson game.

The ACC has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25 but only have 4 of them ranked. SEC also has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25, yet....... wait for it.......... 7 are in the top 25.

Rant over........

Sagarin has us at 36, and UK at 38. Which seems about right.

Computers are smarter than sports writers, but who isn't?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First
A top 25 caliber team would have no more than two losses with this schedule.

We only have maybe three decent teams on our schedule. Preseason people were touting this crappy schedule as a real murderers row...
First I'm not sure anyone is saying we are a top 25 team.

A top 25 caliber team would have no more than two losses with this schedule. Not going to say that ain't a good idea but if you use only 2 losses ( And no I have not Checked) 30 to 40% of the teams in the top 25 would not be there.

Preseason people were touting this crappy schedule as a real murderers row... Preseason polls are crap and based on the past year or just a named school ( Like ND even if they have 2 bad years they will start in the top 25)

What I think you missed lets take Miss State in the top 25 this week at 6-4 ( why because the SEC is over rated they all play a easy out of conference schedule ) look at their schedule and who their 6 wins were against and see if you can really say its better than ours.

Wins - Stephen F Austin, Kanas State, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns , Auburn also 6-4 ( Hot or cold) , Texas A&m also 6-4, and LA Tech. And the only road game they won was Kanas State which is a powerhouse at 4-6.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
First

A top 25 caliber team would have no more than two losses with this schedule. Not going to say that ain't a good idea but if you use only 2 losses ( And no I have not Checked) 30 to 40% of the teams in the top 25 would not be there.

Preseason people were touting this crappy schedule as a real murderers row... Preseason polls are crap and based on the past year or just a named school ( Like ND even if they have 2 bad years they will start in the top 25)

What I think you missed lets take Miss State in the top 25 this week at 6-4 ( why because the SEC is over rated they all play a easy out of conference schedule ) look at their schedule and who their 6 wins were against and see if you can really say its better than ours.

Wins - Stephen F Austin, Kanas State, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns , Auburn also 6-4 ( Hot or cold) , Texas A&m also 6-4, and LA Tech. And the only road game they won was Kanas State which is a powerhouse at 4-6.
It's totally ridiculous that Mississippi State is still in the Top 25 and their head coach Joe Moorhead will be on the Coaches Hotseat List before long

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sure, I will jump in and say if GT beats UVAG and UGAG, we will easily be ranked in the teens, BUT

I hope you guys are not overly investing yourselves in us beating UGAG. It is possible - that is why we play the game - but very, very unlikely. Right now, I doubt I would take GT and 20 points, if I was forced to bet.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought we are normalized at about number 30 for the post Bobby Dodd era. I think that in general is who we are. Some years we are a good bit lower and on some few years we are good bit higher but when it all comes together on balance the 30th best program is about who we are. I think the same thing applies to recruiting. Even though a lot of services tend to rank us around 50, I think if they were less biased and you looked at the results post recruiting, you would find we are closer to around a 30th place recruiting class. If you look at how we pay our coaches, we pay slightly better than a top 30 level but that is probably about right due to the increased academic pressures that have to be managed at Georgia Tech.

You live for those years we exceed the number 30 standard and get a few begrudging compliments from the biased media. It appears this year we have a chance to slightly beat the 30 target but we could also still fall a bit short of it. I think there are 130 Division One College Football programs so there are 29 better than us but also 100 worse than us. So we got that going for us.

Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
the highest-ranked opponent we've beaten so far is #54 Miami. We haven't beaten any decent teams so far.
This.

I am not convinced we are better than, oh, I don't know, maybe around $40 right now? We are a team that can be dangerous IF we win the turnover battle, and almost always loses if we lose the turnover battle. That makes us pretty much like everyone between #20-$50.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure, I will jump in and say if GT beats UVAG and UGAG, we will easily be ranked in the teens, BUT

I hope you guys are not overly investing yourselves in us beating UGAG. It is possible - that is why we play the game - but very, very unlikely. Right now, I doubt I would take GT and 20 points, if I was forced to bet.
In 2016 we beat ga and ended the regular season 8-4 without being ranked. Then we beat Kentucky and ended the post season Unranked.

That’s the best we can do this year.

So history says there is no possibility of us being ranked this year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
In 2016 we beat ga and ended the regular season 8-4 without being ranked. Then we beat Kentucky and ended the post season Unranked.

That’s the best we can do this year.

So history says there is no possibility of us being ranked this year.
Beat UGAG with as high ranked as the Dwags are now and finish the season 9-4 and GT WILL be ranked in the Top 25:rolleyes:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't take this thread as being serious that we should be in the top 25. More just bitching about the typical SEC rank everyone high due to "quality losses" so that when SEC Team A loses to a Team B that's over ranked due to "quality losses" it becomes a "quality loss" for the Team A instead of just a loss so no need punish them and Team B now gets a "quality win" due to beating a "very good" Team A. Cycle this same thought process through every SEC team not named Vanderbilt and you have yourself a conference.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
First

This!!!!!! People look at GT and make assumptions based on their mindset of what they think, but when compared to other colleges it doesn’t align. When looking at things like this, you need to compare to everyone else and not just what you think. GT is ranked 44th in SOS , but in reality outside of the top SOS teams everything gets jumbled up and is roughly the same until you get down the line a little more when teams play no one really imo. Also the ACC is having a down year (kinda) but we still have 11 teams that could end up bow eligible and I think we play at least 8 that should be bowl eligible and possibly 9.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so I understand the spirit with which the OP was intended, but a case can be made.

My Points/Drive vs Power 5 (at least 3 pwr 5 opponents) stat reduces the assessment of a team to how well its offense scores points and how well its defense prevents scoring. The assumption is that Special Teams play is cooked into those numbers and that otherwise, like run-back scores, it might affect individual games but not the assessment of the team as a whole.

Here's where we stand now, comparing my calculated PPD stat rankings compared to the AP and Coaches' polls:
upload_2018-11-13_18-15-47.png

I've included a ranking based on both OPPD - DPPD and OPPD/DPPD.

There's agreement on who the top 4 are. ND gets the nod in the polls because they won the opening game against Michigan. There's also basic agreement on the top 9. However, with georgie and LSu, you begin to see the polls' preference for the SEC.

Now, obviously, there's always a strength of schedule argument that can be made (part of the reason I require at least 3 Pwr5 opponents for my stat). However, when you consider how well the stat works for identifying the top 4 and the top 9, the fact that GT comes out as either #19 or #20 certainly seems to make the case for GT being in the top 25.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so I understand the spirit with which the OP was intended, but a case can be made.

My Points/Drive vs Power 5 (at least 3 pwr 5 opponents) stat reduces the assessment of a team to how well its offense scores points and how well its defense prevents scoring. The assumption is that Special Teams play is cooked into those numbers and that otherwise, like run-back scores, it might affect individual games but not the assessment of the team as a whole.

Here's where we stand now, comparing my calculated PPD stat rankings compared to the AP and Coaches' polls:
View attachment 4493

I've included a ranking based on both OPPD - DPPD and OPPD/DPPD.

There's agreement on who the top 4 are. ND gets the nod in the polls because they won the opening game against Michigan. There's also basic agreement on the top 9. However, with georgie and LSu, you begin to see the polls' preference for the SEC.

Now, obviously, there's always a strength of schedule argument that can be made (part of the reason I require at least 3 Pwr5 opponents for my stat). However, when you consider how well the stat works for identifying the top 4 and the top 9, the fact that GT comes out as either #19 or #20 certainly seems to make the case for GT being in the top 25.
I think it just goes to show how close we have been. Sadly though, once you get to the lower ranks, record starts to count for a lot. There shouldn't really have been any 4 loss ranked teams last week, and I think it's a stretch there should be any this week. I think your ppddiff tool is good at estimating how good a team is, but it does not account for how good of a season a team has. If you blow out 6 teams and then lose by 1 the remainder, your ppddiff will be good, but you will still at the end of the day be 6-6.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it just goes to show how close we have been. Sadly though, once you get to the lower ranks, record starts to count for a lot. There shouldn't really have been any 4 loss ranked teams last week, and I think it's a stretch there should be any this week. I think your ppddiff tool is good at estimating how good a team is, but it does not account for how good of a season a team has. If you blow out 6 teams and then lose by 1 the remainder, your ppddiff will be good, but you will still at the end of the day be 6-6.

At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the record, and who that record is compiled against. We don't belong in the top 25, but if we beat Virginia and Georgia (barely within the realm of possibility), we'll be around #15 - #17.