GT should be ranked in the top 25

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not really being serious but the rankings are absolutely crazy to me. SEC gets so much love. UK barley beat an unranked Vandy and Missouri and then got trashed by UGA and beat up on by unranked UT, yet they are ranked 12th and above a 9-0 UCF and 8-2 Syracuse. Then you have Miss st ranked 16th with 4 L’s. LSU is ranked above teams that have been more impressive, and they are above 4 teams with better records. GT has as good of a record as 4 teams in the top 25. GT is 4-0 over the last 4 games while Miss st and Auburn are both 2-2 over the last 4 weeks.

GT is literally playing better than 11 teams that are in the top 25 since the Clemson game.

The ACC has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25 but only have 4 of them ranked. SEC also has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25, yet....... wait for it.......... 7 are in the top 25.

Rant over........

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Not really being serious but the rankings are absolutely crazy to me. SEC gets so much love. UK barley beat an unranked Vandy and Missouri and then got trashed by UGA and beat up on by unranked UT, yet they are ranked 12th and above a 9-0 UCF and 8-2 Syracuse. Then you have Miss st ranked 16th with 4 L’s. LSU is ranked above teams that have been more impressive, and they are above 4 teams with better records. GT has as good of a record as 4 teams in the top 25. GT is 4-0 over the last 4 games while Miss st and Auburn are both 2-2 over the last 4 weeks.

GT is literally playing better than 11 teams that are in the top 25 since the Clemson game.

The ACC has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25 but only have 4 of them ranked. SEC also has 8 teams with as good or better records as teams in the top 25, yet....... wait for it.......... 7 are in the top 25.

Rant over........
I think if GT beats Virginia,UGAG and wins their Bowl Game finishing 9-4 they will be ranked in the #20-#25 range;)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Rant over........
I think you are looking at an old list. In the current AP poll Kentucky is below UCF. There are only two 6-4 teams ranked, and I don't think GT should be in over them (I'd rank Army, Virginia, and Fresno ST above us before even considering other 6-4 teams).

At the end of the day, you want to start ranked. Rankings have momentum, so starting high is more beneficial than playing well later.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No way would I put this Tech team in the top 25. Zero chance. The only scenario where that could happen is if we beat both UVA and UGA, then we might be 25th after beating a top 5 UGA team.
Most 6-4 teams are receiving votes now (we aren't). I would say it'd be fair to be receiving votes if we win against UVA, and then becoming ranked with a win over UGA.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
But it's the SEC , and the SEC plays a strong out of conference schedule . Lets just take a look at number 16 Miss State we all know they play a hard out of conference schedule. First game of the year Stephon F Austin , now I know they are only 2-7 but at the time they played they had not lost. Next they played Kansas State is 4-6 but we all know they are a good offense because they don't run the 3O and a few on here know if you don't run the 3O your offense is better and you can get better 3 star players than our 3 star player ( Ain't that right Gold1) . Their 3th win out of conference game was Louisiana Cajuns which are having a great year 5-5 . Now this last one you can see why Miss State is rating so high LA Tech and look they are 7-3.

So we have Miss State at 6-4 with 4 coming from this hard out of conference schedule. But you have to understand how the pick the top 25 .
First if you play in the SEC all teams start at number 1 for every loss you lose 4 spots Hence Miss State is 6-4 so I can see no problem with them being rating at 16 although if you do the math right they should only be rated 17.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought everyone already understood this, Espn owns the SEC, so it is in their best interests to get as many SEC teams ranked at the start of the season so that they stay there by years end. Reason being 2 things: when you advertise 2 ranked teams playing each other, you typically get Your average college football fan to tune in because they assume it’s a decent game, ie more viewers.

Then #2 is more teams at start of the season ranked, higher chance at least 1 or more teams make the playoff or at least in the top 10 by years end. It’s all about viewership, who cares if 7-3 FL is 7-3 Kentucky in a ultra mediocre and somewhat boring game, because they both have a number by their team, so it must be good!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Tech's schedule as being worthy of a top 25 if we had 8 wins at this point. Wins vs. Alcorn St., Bowling Green, Louisville, VT, UNC, and Miami. Losses against USF, Pitt, Clemson, and Duke. In a typical season, perhaps that gets it done with wins vs LOU/UNC, VT, and MIA, but they're all down this year. In hindsight, from what I've seen from the teams that we've played on our schedule so far this year, the only team that is relevant would be Clemson. Perhaps Pitt, who is receiving votes, and so far has lost to #13 PSU, #13 UCF, and #5 ND. But they also lost to UNC. If we beat UVA and uga, then I'd think it may be reasonable. At this time, no.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I believe that we'll sneak in if we beat UVA because that will give the media an opportunity to tout our matchup with ugag. They will say it's Georgia's trap game against a top 25 opponent. Also, the committee takes in how well you've played recently and winning 6 out of 7 is pretty damn good.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I believe that we'll sneak in if we beat UVA because that will give the media an opportunity to tout our matchup with ugag. They will say it's Georgia's trap game against a top 25 opponent. Also, the committee takes in how well you've played recently and winning 6 out of 7 is pretty damn good.
It would be great to have GT knock UGAG into the Outback Bowl:cool:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think you are looking at an old list. In the current AP poll Kentucky is below UCF. There are only two 6-4 teams ranked, and I don't think GT should be in over them (I'd rank Army, Virginia, and Fresno ST above us before even considering other 6-4 teams).

At the end of the day, you want to start ranked. Rankings have momentum, so starting high is more beneficial than playing well later.
I’m looking at the CFP rankings.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No way would I put this Tech team in the top 25. Zero chance. The only scenario where that could happen is if we beat both UVA and UGA, then we might be 25th after beating a top 5 UGA team.
I get that, but it’s not the point of this thread. I was just trying to show bias imo of the committee.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m looking at the CFP rankings.
They won't release updates until tomorrow night.

Interesting, yeah I am not sure where the cards will fall this week. Last week there were no 4 loss teams ranked, and with the number of 3 win teams remaining, I am not sure how many will make the list this week either. I agree we are a better team right now then several teams on that list, but rankings are meant to be a combination of "who is best" and "who is having the best season".