GT Ranked 48th in Preseason SP+ Projections

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I am torn between disgust and amazement tbh. I think we have the same 3-4 posters on each side of the tired and relentless CPJ vs CGC debate repeating their same 3-4 talking points that they do in every thread. If there was an occasional nugget of a new thought it would marginally better. But on the other hand, as long as no rules are being violated I suppose we will let them continue their epic struggle. Carry on gentlemen.
Image result for smh gif

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
How sad that our fan base would settle for a 4 to 5 win season. Damn shame.
Just because some of those who post here are satisfied if the team tries hard or is showing quantitative signs of improvement or wears a certain color combination, a decline in attendance suggests that wins and losses are likely more important. Lombardi, who clearly knew something about football, said that winning wasn’t everything as long as the team tried hard and showed signs of improvement. Oh, wait, that’s not what he said, was it?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why six wins this season his third...History.
I will go back to 1980
Bill curry, two bad season, went 6-5 his third in 1982
Bobby Ross, two bad years went 7-4 his third and beat UGA
Bill Lewis...well his third season we saw what happened.
George Oleary. two ok seasone but went 6-5 and went to a bowl his third
Chan...just kept winning 6 and 7 but did not progress or regress. Had some nice wins those three years
CPJ blew out first and second and his third dropped but returned to 8 wins his fourth.

If we have another season like the last two, not just with losses but a lot of embarrassing losses, recruiting will suffer and we may already be seeing this.
Improvement is measured in wins and losses.
Chan never had less than 7 wins.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just because some of those who post here are satisfied if the team tries hard or is showing quantitative signs of improvement or wears a certain color combination, a decline in attendance suggests that wins and losses are likely more important. Lombardi, who clearly knew something about football, said that winning wasn’t everything as long as the team tried hard and showed signs of improvement. Oh, wait, that’s not what he said, was it?
"Just win, baby" Another 3 or 4 win season would not be necessarily catastrophic given the Tech fan base usual patience with football coaches but it would set the wolves in the media howling for sure and would definitely have some effect on recruiting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"Just win, baby" Another 3 or 4 win season would not be necessarily catastrophic given the Tech fan base usual patience with football coaches but it would set the wolves in the media howling for sure and would definitely have some effect on recruiting.

I don't know that it would be that catastrophic yet. One of the things CGC does infinitely better than CPJ is his demeanor with the local press. At the moment, there is not a lot of expectation on the part of GT football coming out of the transition and with COVID, and he hasn't been as adversarial as CPJ was. I really think he can survive a 4 win season this year as long as 2022 is the springboard year. If he were to lose the OoC slate sans uga and ND, he might feel premature heat on his seat, but as long as he beats Kennesaw, NIU, and two ACC opponents, I think it will be regarded as a successful third season. The press so far has been more understanding than our fan base.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that it would be that catastrophic yet. One of the things CGC does infinitely better than CPJ is his demeanor with the local press. At the moment, there is not a lot of expectation on the part of GT football coming out of the transition and with COVID, and he hasn't been as adversarial as CPJ was. I really think he can survive a 4 win season this year as long as 2022 is the springboard year. If he were to lose the OoC slate sans uga and ND, he might feel premature heat on his seat, but as long as he beats Kennesaw, NIU, and two ACC opponents, I think it will be regarded as a successful third season. The press so far has been more understanding than our fan base.
Good arguments and largely true BUT, the Atlanta media can turn on you in a heartbeat. They are like my tomcat who bites the hand that feeds him...in his case literally when he does not get the level of service to which he has become accustomed. Another bad season will build the pressure and may begin to affect recruiting. Although, for the life of me, I do not understand these four and five stars going to the factories to sit behind more four and five stars. I would think Tech could take advantage of that logjam some way or another.

Good arguments and largely true BUT, the Atlanta media can turn on you in a heartbeat. They are like my tomcat who bites the hand that feeds him...in his case literally when he does not get the level of service to which he has become accustomed. Another bad season will build the pressure and may begin to affect recruiting. Although, for the life of me, I do not understand these four and five stars going to the factories to sit behind more four and five stars. I would think Tech could take advantage of that logjam some way or another.
The Atlanta media did not like CPJ because CPJ beat Georgia. The Atlanta media is all UGA and they are fine if Tech/little brother wins some games, but when little brother is a threat to big brother....well then. They did not like O'Leary either.

Scubapro

Banned
The Atlanta media did not like CPJ because CPJ beat Georgia. The Atlanta media is all UGA and they are fine if Tech/little brother wins some games, but when little brother is a threat to big brother....well then. They did not like O'Leary either.
Yeah...Remember when they went after Fridge and George during the Vatacunus(SP?) incident.
For those who don't remember a third string O lineman was made to run the ball against the D line with out blocking....this was to show him what it was like for a running back when a block was missed.... he cried to his mommy and the Press went full assault on Tech.
The Atlanta press loves to kick Tech.
If you don't see that then you either haven't been paying attention or you haven't been around for long.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah...Remember when they went after Fridge and George during the Vatacunus(SP?) incident.
For those who don't remember a third string O lineman was made to run the ball against the D line with out blocking....this was to show him what it was like for a running back when a block was missed.... he cried to his mommy and the Press went full assault on Tech.
The Atlanta press loves to kick Tech.
If you don't see that then you either haven't been paying attention or you haven't been around for long.

They were right in going after O'Leary. He was absolutely wrong to do that. His carelessness at UCF killed a player. It's why I can't stand the man any longer.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Because we're the only program in the country transitioning from 11 years of the flexbone spread to an NFL effort based offense.
Nearly everyone on the team now never played in a flex bone system and according to experts they are pretty talented. There is no legitimate reason for them to win 3 games this year or either of the next two years unless the coaching is terrible. If we aren’t willing to even put pressure on our coaches when they are doing a terrible job then we either cant afford to or we simply don’t care to anymore.