GT Ranked 48th in Preseason SP+ Projections

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some of you guys on both sides of this argument astound me. At some point, CPJ is going to be in the HoF and some of you are going to look foolish for constantly trashing him,. On the other side, for those denigrating CGC,, you are overlooking the obvious growing pains that a team in this big a transition was sure to go through.

I'll be frank, CGC wasn't my first choice, but he wasn't a bad choice. With a couple more years of top 25 recruiting, we can be an 8-9 win team again. It's going to take time though. Putting expectations of 6-7 wins as a floor next year are simply not realistic. At some point GT is going to turn the corner, and it might well be this year, but it's most likely a year or two away. As of this moment, the ONLY thing that makes me believe we could win 6 games next year is the transfer kicker we got. If he overcomes his injury, we have a legitimate weapon we've been missing and maybe we have a shot.

Either way, the constant trashing of both CPJ and CGC is tiresome.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So it took CGC two years to match the lowest points of CPJs career?

One injury laden year really skews the numbers. I get you aren't a fan of CPJ, but these arguments are old and frankly, pretty pointless. The ONLY year CPJ had a losing record in the ACC was 2015, and all three of his losing seasons were understandable if you aren't agenda driven. In 2010 JN goes down and CPJ has to start a true Sophomore at QB the rest of the season. Growing pains hurt us, we finish 6-6 and lose a bowl game. 2015 was year from $%^# and injuries depleted us. Despite that, most of our losses were by a single score and we were competitive in all but two games. 2017 with the game cancellation that left us on the outside looking end at the end of the season.

...and you believe your post are not slanted?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
...and you believe your post are not slanted?

I've been calling for everyone on here to give CGC time to get his program in place and not be hasty in rushing to judgement. I fully admit I enjoyed the CPJ years, and was sad to see him retire, but I am also one of the relatively few preaching patience with the current regime. That's about as fair as you can get.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t “gloss over” an 11 win season. It’s included in the numbers. Just like a 3 win season. I also plainly stated that the previous 2 years were 3 win seasons, and that it would be unacceptable should it happen again. None of the points you made counter the main point of my post, which was that Georgia Tech football was average at best, and mediocre to bad at worst over the 5 year span from 2014-2018. It wasn’t a “winning program” like was the post I was responding to insinuated.

Is posting a losing record against P5 teams a winning program? Is posting a losing record against division opponents a winning program? Is having a losing record to over half the teams in your own division a winning program? Is being 8 games under .500 against annual opponents a winning program? Is posting a .517 W% against FBS opponents a sign of a winning program?

I like how you singled out that 2015 season as being some sort of anomaly, but don’t give the same benefit of the doubt to the 2019 season. A year where we lost the starting QB, leading WR, 8 of the top 11 leading tacklers, and had a tragic loss of life for a starting DT before the season even started. Then proceeded to lose the projected #1 WR, 2 starting DL, and the OL was decimated so bad that walk-ons were starting. On top of the fact that the basic fundamentals of the offensive side of the ball were being changed completely.

This was the main point of my post

But for some reason you went straight to the response I was expecting:

Maybe try to read the rest of my comment before you come back and try to dunk on me. You might pick up on some subtleties like this:
Oh trust me I unfortunately read your whole post.

Your new post summarizes the fallacy of your old post in the follow snippet.

None of the points you made counter the main point of my post, which was that Georgia Tech football was average at best, and mediocre to bad at worst over the 5 year span from 2014-2018.
(Gave me quite the chuckle I'll admit.)

Since when is an 11 win season with acc championship game appearance and orange bowl win, and a win against your top rival an average at best season for Tech?

And btw, that 2015 season, the one you glossed over as well with all of injury attrition, most of those losses were by one score. Please tell me what the average losses have looked like lately.

Lol you really have no idea what you are talking about.

You cherry pick stats to make your point look good.

I was merely giving you a taste of your own medicine, guess the message didn't get through... Surprise. I'm fully aware the attrition level due to injuries in 19, and have constantly brought it up when your crew was quick to come out and say or only reason for struggling is because we have no talent.

So which is it?

Again you cherry picked stats so that you could make some point, that was misleading. I didn't have to go so out of my way to cherry pick stats like you, and you got all riled up. Oh and I guess you missed this part of my post too.

See how ****ty a post can be when I leave out all the positives such as a marked uptick in recruiting, better marketing, extremely talented rb and qb...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
... Putting expectations of 6-7 wins as a floor next year are simply not realistic...
Excellent post as usual, I need to stop responding to some posts that are obviously one sided (with my own one sided responses). I just have a little issue with this part.

From year one to two, we saw lots of areas of improvement that didn't show up in the scoreboard or stats, such as improved O-Line and D-line play, the RB game was awesome, and there seems to be lots of potential in the QB department.

Now it's year 3, and it's time for improvement to show up a bit more on the scoreboard, do you honestly think the schedule is so difficult that we can't set a floor of 6 wins?

I will fully agree the schedule is no joke this coming season, but can you guys honestly look at that schedule and think there's at least six wins there? If not, it may be time to re-evaluate your confidence level in the direction of the program.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now it's year 3, and it's time for improvement to show up a bit more on the scoreboard, do you honestly think the schedule is so difficult that we can't set a floor of 6 wins?

Yes, because of precisely what this thread is about. See below

This thread was really cool when we were talking about returning production and SP+

We simply have not built up the reliable depth to return enough production to overcome the schedule we have. I can easily see 4 wins, but a lot of things would have to go right to cross the 6 win threshold. As I said above, this might be the year that everything falls into place and we make the big leap. Nothing precludes that, but to set an arbitrary floor of 6 wins is, IMO, foolishness. We are still developing our younger players, and while we have some truly great pieces in place, we still have holes in the roster. We don't have a proven WR threat returning. Our QB is promising, but has not shown consistency yet. Our defense actually regressed last year, so it's a liability until proven otherwise. Our OL is still a work in progress, and the TE position still needs to grow into its role. On top of that, our kicking game, while it should get better, is wholly dependent on a transfer coming off of an injury and we lost our all world punter who impacted more games than he probably gets credit for.

Now, we do have a highly regarded punter coming in, and hopefully the new K settles in just fine. There is a lot of talent across the board at most positions, but most of it is unproven. IMO, setting the floor at 6 wins puts expectations on the coach that just are not reasonable given all that we are going through. But that's just my opinion.

Why six wins this season his third...History.
I will go back to 1980
Bill curry, two bad season, went 6-5 his third in 1982
Bobby Ross, two bad years went 7-4 his third and beat UGA
Bill Lewis...well his third season we saw what happened.
George Oleary. two ok seasone but went 6-5 and went to a bowl his third
Chan...just kept winning 6 and 7 but did not progress or regress. Had some nice wins those three years
CPJ blew out first and second and his third dropped but returned to 8 wins his fourth.

If we have another season like the last two, not just with losses but a lot of embarrassing losses, recruiting will suffer and we may already be seeing this.
Improvement is measured in wins and losses.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@mods - what are we doing here?
I am torn between disgust and amazement tbh. I think we have the same 3-4 posters on each side of the tired and relentless CPJ vs CGC debate repeating their same 3-4 talking points that they do in every thread. If there was an occasional nugget of a new thought it would marginally better. But on the other hand, as long as no rules are being violated I suppose we will let them continue their epic struggle. Carry on gentlemen.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Why six wins this season his third...History.
I will go back to 1980
Bill curry, two bad season, went 6-5 his third in 1982
Bobby Ross, two bad years went 7-4 his third and beat UGA
Bill Lewis...well his third season we saw what happened.
George Oleary. two ok seasone but went 6-5 and went to a bowl his third
Chan...just kept winning 6 and 7 but did not progress or regress. Had some nice wins those three years
CPJ blew out first and second and his third dropped but returned to 8 wins his fourth.

If we have another season like the last two, not just with losses but a lot of embarrassing losses, recruiting will suffer and we may already be seeing this.
Improvement is measured in wins and losses.
What history do you have that shows his recruiting will suffer? What if his recruiting suffers but he keeps pulling in great transfers? What if recruiting suffers but then we “turn the corner” on wins?