GT Preseason News

I am going to get pumped for the upcoming season like I've done for the last 30 years. I really want this team to be competitive and turn the corner for CBG's sake, but more importantly for my sake. Tech athletics are shortening my life span. I guess that's why they call it die hard?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Its funny that we can get transfers but much less in high school recruits.PG is just not good enough coach to make that work.(and maybe not many are)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Every season of late I get my hopes up that my analytical mind is totally screwed and the Tech team I see on the floor is much better than the team I cheered for last year. It almost always begins well, as we pummel the likes of Clayton State or Samford or Western Carolina, then the air begins to leak from the bubble of my expectations. We lose to a team like Upstate Carolina or downstate something else. By Christmas I am usually checking the baseball team to see if maybe they can revive my depressed spirits.

But this year is different. Cornell and East Tennessee State and Green Bay and the Vols (so long as we are not playing the women's team) should be a breeze. We will sweep into New York to a ticker tape parade and we will clean the floor with Arkansas and Villanova. By Christmas this year we will ranked in the top ten and have three guys on the POY watch list.

See. I have my expectations in check this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... By Christmas I am usually checking the baseball team to see if maybe they can revive my depressed spirits.

But this year is different. ........

After that, my advice is to reread some of the baseball posts now. GT basketball is why I got so interested in Beesball.

Its funny that we can get transfers but much less in high school recruits.PG is just not good enough coach to make that work.(and maybe not many are)

Are there a lot of transfers now for everyone? Also for transfers, they must have taken the Calculus some where else...... they can't exempt out can they?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
3 things that could "turn Georgia Tech's fortunes"
From the AJC - link -

Included is "...Jackets will have two of the better scorers that Gregory has had in guard Adam Smith and forward Nick Jacobs, both transfers."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Also from the article "The Jackets have finished no better than 184th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency in Gregory’s four seasons..."

I knew we weren't that good , but 184th is horrendous, AND that is the BEST we've done. Ugh!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Also from the article "The Jackets have finished no better than 184th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency in Gregory’s four seasons..."

I knew we weren't that good , but 184th is horrendous, AND that is the BEST we've done. Ugh!
We'll be better than that this year. We will also finish better than 12th in the ACC. Mark it down. I'm calling this one good & early.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sucks that I have to miss the season opener on Friday night.

Will be tuned into WatchESPN through Chromecast though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
In theory and on paper we should run through Cornell with relative ease.

Few things I'll be looking at specifically:

1-BG says he wants to get out and run more. This is against the grain for him and I wonder how long it sticks

2-Jorgys jumper. Self explanatory

3-Q's minutes. White is a good rebounder at the 3 and will presumably give MGH his first blow.

4-Lammers on offense. I'm a Big Ben fan, hopefully his progression is obvious.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In theory and on paper we should run through Cornell with relative ease.

Few things I'll be looking at specifically:

1-BG says he wants to get out and run more. This is against the grain for him and I wonder how long it sticks

2-Jorgys jumper. Self explanatory

3-Q's minutes. White is a good rebounder at the 3 and will presumably give MGH his first blow.

4-Lammers on offense. I'm a Big Ben fan, hopefully his progression is obvious.
The more I look at what White did at UALR, I have more doubts about how much time he will spend at the #3. For his career, he has hit only three 3-point shots out of 15 attempts. I question how effective he will be at that position with little or no outside shot making threat. As for Lammers, I am really interested in how many minutes he gets and how well the offense runs (or how differently it runs) when he is on the floor. Some of this has to do with his teammates' comfort getting him the ball.

Otherwise, I am VERY interested in seeing Smith and Jackson. Tadric finished very strong last year and I hope he picks up right where he left off. I hope I see him slide to the other wing at times when MGH is on the bench. Smith averaged almost 15 points last year at VT and I see no reason why he cannot do that with us. Jorgy/Smith/Jackson would be a very interesting change up in tempo - especially if MGH can log minutes at the #4 to give us a small, but very fast lineup. Lots of possibilities this year, and I hope we see some of them unfold early.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Having Stephens I really see White used more at backup PF, probably logging a good deal of minutes. Also hoping for the strong results from Smith and Jackson. This will truly show if CBG can coach because he has a pretty decent group to use this season. If we start seeing the same problems as in the past he needs to go. Hope not, though.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Having Stephens I really see White used more at backup PF, probably logging a good deal of minutes. Also hoping for the strong results from Smith and Jackson. This will truly show if CBG can coach because he has a pretty decent group to use this season. If we start seeing the same problems as in the past he needs to go. Hope not, though.
I expect MGH to get more than 30 minutes a game with Jackson and White getting a portion of the remaining minutes at #3. Unless Q can raise his game defensively, I think his playing time will diminish. But, I could also see him significant minutes if he has improved enough to defend the opposing #3.

We could also see MGH moving to #4 occasionally. To me, this is one of the more interesting spots to watch on Friday. Somebody has to play that position when MGH is getting a break, and we have three possible options.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been crazy busy between home and work lately, so just a few quick thoughts on some of the above:

Rotation at the 2:
- Seems to me that Tadric and Adam will log most of their minutes here.
- I think that Smith is the likely starter here. Tadric brings scoring off the bench.
- Heyward might steal a few minutes here and there and possibly MGH if we go big.

Rotation at SF:
- MGH will log 30 + at the SF spot - Unless he gets into foul trouble.
- BG finds a role for Q too. He has potential to be an excellent shooter. Maybe with Smith some pressure will be gone for him. Having a secondary 3 pt shooter will be huge.
- Possibly see White play some minutes at the 3 in a big line-up with MGH sliding over to the 2G.

James White Role:
- Don't see him as much of a perimeter threat.
- IMO, Will look to create match-up problems off the bounce against bigger PF's
- Extremely active, He should be a monster on the glass.
- Good post defender

PG Position:
- Can either take the position and run with it. Word is that both Heath and Jorgensen have played a high level in the preseason.
- Can either make a perimeter jump shot?
- Has either improved their ability finish.

Looking forward to the start of hoops season.. Go Jackets!!