GT Player Deals

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Glad Juanyeh is getting this opportunity, but what does it mean? Will he give exclusive interviews with Barstool or something?
He will do some promotional spots and they will give him some free swag gear. From what I understand it’s not big [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] but still a cool look and more exposure.

Here is an article about some other barstool sports kids for context on the deals:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This entire argument comes down to greed and freedom. Apparently we simply ignore the value of a free education, that most of us have to finance for our kids to get. we act like it’s nothing when it’s huge. Coming out of Tech or any college with a free degree and no student debt is a life changer compared to a normal student who comes out having to work 6 years to repay the cost. so I hate this alternate reality that allows players to act as if they weren’t already profiting. On the flip side it’s none of the schools business if a kid gets a job or not, what the job is or how much it pays. we go to school to learn not sign a 4-6 year agreement to forgo our human and constitutional rights.

both sides are motivated by money, nothing else

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This entire argument comes down to greed and freedom. Apparently we simply ignore the value of a free education, that most of us have to finance for our kids to get. we act like it’s nothing when it’s huge. Coming out of Tech or any college with a free degree and no student debt is a life changer compared to a normal student who comes out having to work 6 years to repay the cost. so I hate this alternate reality that allows players to act as if they weren’t already profiting. On the flip side it’s none of the schools business if a kid gets a job or not, what the job is or how much it pays. we go to school to learn not sign a 4-6 year agreement to forgo our human and constitutional rights.

both sides are motivated by money, nothing else
Interesting use of the word free.

If your employer offered you "free" CE, "free" meals, "free" health insurance, and access to "free" gym would you show up to work everyday if they didn't pay you a salary?

If your answer is no, I guess you're no different than the student athletes. If your answer is yes, I encourage you to let your employer know. I'm sure they'd be glad to hear it.

Also, what are the requirements for non athlete scholarship recipients when they get to school? Do they just have to keep their GPA at a certain level? Are they required to do service projects? Are they required to be at the gym at 4:30 in the am and run until they puke?

My guess is you weren't a student athlete. Nothing about that life screams free. The schools and the NCAA make millions to billions of dollars off the backs of these kids. It's about time they can monetize themselves.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting use of the word free.

If your employer offered you "free" CE, "free" meals, "free" health insurance, and access to "free" gym would you show up to work everyday if they didn't pay you a salary?

If your answer is no, I guess you're no different than the student athletes. If your answer is yes, I encourage you to let your employer know. I'm sure they'd be glad to hear it.

Also, what are the requirements for non athlete scholarship recipients when they get to school? Do they just have to keep their GPA at a certain level? Are they required to do service projects? Are they required to be at the gym at 4:30 in the am and run until they puke?

My guess is you weren't a student athlete. Nothing about that life screams free. The schools and the NCAA make millions to billions of dollars off the backs of these kids. It's about time they can monetize themselves.
The students are not being hired. I'm tired of this tired argument.

Yes, the schools are making outrageous money and the student-athletes are a large part of that product. Whether they deserve a piece of that pie is open for discussion. However, they're NOT employees, they're scholarship athletes. For their athletic participation, someone else is paying for their education.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Gotta disagree. They aren’t making millions and billions off these kids. They are making millions and billions off the school name on the jersey. The kids are interchangeable but the school name is not. And why do the kids take part in this system? It’s because this system allows them access to be on TV without them having to spend a dime out of their own pocket. How many other GT students get a free 3 hour commercial for themselves every Saturday in the fall? I have no problem with them monetizing themselves just like any other student can do. But don’t act like these players were being abused. I know many kids who never would have sniffed regular admission to GT but got in on athletic scholarships or preferred walk ons. And I know several high level kids who got deferred and are now at UGA who would run academic circles around these athletes. At least now we won’t have to hear about the poor huddled masses being abused in college sports any more.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I believe that GT is well positioned due to CGC and being in the ATL. The schools that have more commerce around them should have a leg up.

I hope this is going to turn out true, but I tend to think the opposite. Atlanta is a huge market, but one in which Tech is a very very small piece. When competing just for sports entertainment money, Atlanta has the Hawks, Braves, Falcons, Atlanta United, not to mention teams like UGA, Alabama, Clemson, FSU, etc. are every bit as popular as Tech in our own city. Why would local businesses want to shell out big bucks for a Tech wide receiver when then can get a Falcon's wide receiver?

More than that, the smaller towns like Tuskaloosa, Athens, Clemson, etc are the ones where the local culture, economy, and identity of the towns themselves in large part revolve around the local college sports team. Places like Alabama for football and Kentucky for basketball are only going to get richer and richer in talent, where fans and local businesses will go crazy to support these kids. I just don't see that happening in Atlanta. I too am extremely thankful we have Collins right now to leverage what we can based on our position in Atlanta, but I tend to think this new rule will help the rural schools more than the urban.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The students are not being hired. I'm tired of this tired argument.

Yes, the schools are making outrageous money and the student-athletes are a large part of that product. Whether they deserve a piece of that pie is open for discussion. However, they're NOT employees, they're scholarship athletes. For their athletic participation, someone else is paying for their education.
No they’re not employees.

Who pays for the scholarships of non athletes? How is that different?

Why are they allowed to monetize themselves?

And you know how many of these athletes actually care about their “free” education? A lot less than you would like to imagine. It’s a cherry on top to the best athletes.

I’m tired of a bunch of people who never played a sport in college trying to tell the kids who are they should just be thankful for the opportunity and shut up.

All the while a bunch of rich folks count all the money they’re making off the backs of said athletes.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta disagree. They aren’t making millions and billions off these kids. They are making millions and billions off the school name on the jersey. The kids are interchangeable but the school name is not. And why do the kids take part in this system? It’s because this system allows them access to be on TV without them having to spend a dime out of their own pocket. How many other GT students get a free 3 hour commercial for themselves every Saturday in the fall? I have no problem with them monetizing themselves just like any other student can do. But don’t act like these players were being abused. I know many kids who never would have sniffed regular admission to GT but got in on athletic scholarships or preferred walk ons. And I know several high level kids who got deferred and are now at UGA who would run academic circles around these athletes. At least now we won’t have to hear about the poor huddled masses being abused in college sports any more.
So you’re telling me if they were to set up a minor league for the NFL and the best players went and played there, got paid, and spent all their time prepping for the NFL people would continue to watch Div 2/3 talent at these schools?

ESPN and the likes would continue to shell out big time tv contracts with these schools?

Highly doubt it. People show up because the players. Schools like Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, ND…etc have some clout, but even they would struggle to make money with the best players having another option.

To another one of your points, I was one of those athletes that never would’ve got into GT without being good at baseball. Being a baseball player, we only had 11.7 scholarships (I believe) for our whole team so you can imagine how much I or anyone else got.

What I can tell you from experience is that the school doesn’t (or didn’t) care about you once you leave unless you “made it” or they want something from you (usually money).

So I’m all for guys having an opportunity to make some money.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So you’re telling me if they were to set up a minor league for the NFL and the best players went and played there, got paid, and spent all their time prepping for the NFL people would continue to watch Div 2/3 talent at these schools?

ESPN and the likes would continue to shell out big time tv contracts with these schools?

Highly doubt it. People show up because the players. Schools like Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, ND…etc have some clout, but even they would struggle to make money with the best players having another option.

To another one of your points, I was one of those athletes that never would’ve got into GT without being good at baseball. Being a baseball player, we only had 11.7 scholarships (I believe) for our whole team so you can imagine how much I or anyone else got.

What I can tell you from experience is that the school doesn’t (or didn’t) care about you once you leave unless you “made it” or they want something from you (usually money).

There's a reason why schools spend MILLIONS of $$$$$ on recruiting. There's a reason why schools shell out large contracts to assistants that can recruit, and even larger contracts to head coaches that can coach AND recruit.

It's a symbiotic relationship. Schools need players to win, and players need schools for their platform. Not sure why we are arguing over this. One hand helps the other.

Let's all hope for guys like Gibbs/Juanyeh/Sims/etc. to make as much money as they can within the new NIL rules, and for GT to win as many games as possible for with their help. It doesn't have to be one or the other anymore.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I’m telling you that. No one cares about individual players. They care about their team. No one here had ever heard of the name Gibbs before about 3 years ago. And if he signed with another school none of us would be rooting for him on Saturdays. We’d be rooting for another player wearing a GT uniform. Besides your point of D2/D3 talent is laughable. Was Synjyn Days D1 talent or are we going to reclassify players who don’t make it to the NFL and call them D2 players? Most D1 players don’t sniff the NFL. And most of them wouldn’t sign a low dollar minor league NFL contract to pass up a full ride scholarship. You know this because you know baseball. Players pass up minor league money all the time to go to college.

I’m all for players making money for themselves just like every other student can have a job or get Instagram hits. We agree on that. But I don’t agree the diatribe that they’ve been used and abused. I know all about college baseball. I understand your plight but you knew the 11.7 number since middle school so you made a choice to take that path and you used your skills to get into a school you couldn’t have gotten into under normal circumstances. Good for you but not good for the person who got squeezed out.

And your last point is perfect - they absolutely don’t care about you. If they cared about the players you wouldn’t say that. As I’ve been saying all along they only care about the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I’m telling you that. No one cares about individual players. They care about their team. No one here had ever heard of the name Gibbs before about 3 years ago. And if he signed with another school none of us would be rooting for him on Saturdays. We’d be rooting for another player wearing a GT uniform. Besides your point of D2/D3 talent is laughable. Was Synjyn Days D1 talent or are we going to reclassify players who don’t make it to the NFL and call them D2 players? Most D1 players don’t sniff the NFL. And most of them wouldn’t sign a low dollar minor league NFL contract to pass up a full ride scholarship. You know this because you know baseball. Players pass up minor league money all the time to go to college.

I’m all for players making money for themselves just like every other student can have a job or get Instagram hits. We agree on that. But I don’t agree the diatribe that they’ve been used and abused. I know all about college baseball. I understand your plight but you knew the 11.7 number since middle school so you made a choice to take that path and you used your skills to get into a school you couldn’t have gotten into under normal circumstances. Good for you but not good for the person who got squeezed out.

And your last point is perfect - they absolutely don’t care about you. If they cared about the players you wouldn’t say that. As I’ve been saying all along they only care about the name on the front of the jersey not the back.
Sorry but this is BS. If you don’t have players no one cares. Just go to a Duke football game sometime if you need proof.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What a waste of money. You could pay the top 5 guys all $10k a year and get the exact same audience reach for a tenth of the cost. None of the 2nd and 3rd string guys are going to provide any return on that investment. I'm also kind of baffled how an MMA gym has half a million to throw at something like this, seems like there would be more efficient ways to draw new clients in.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
What a waste of money. You could pay the top 5 guys all $10k a year and get the exact same audience reach for a tenth of the cost. None of the 2nd and 3rd string guys are going to provide any return on that investment. I'm also kind of baffled how an MMA gym has half a million to throw at something like this, seems like there would be more efficient ways to draw new clients in.
Who says someone else won’t do that too ? Again, this won’t level the playing field. The big $$ will continue to trump everyone else

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No they’re not employees.

Who pays for the scholarships of non athletes? How is that different?

Why are they allowed to monetize themselves?

And you know how many of these athletes actually care about their “free” education? A lot less than you would like to imagine. It’s a cherry on top to the best athletes.

I’m tired of a bunch of people who never played a sport in college trying to tell the kids who are they should just be thankful for the opportunity and shut up.

All the while a bunch of rich folks count all the money they’re making off the backs of said athletes.
First, I never said they shouldn't participate in the rewards of college athletics.

Second, NO ONE is requiring any of these student-athletes to go on scholarship. They choose to take the scholarship in exchange for their participation in college athletics. Many give up their scholarships before they've exhausted their eligibility. Again, it's the student's choice whether to be on scholarship.

Third, not one single school is preventing ANY of the students from monetizing themselves. Go talk to the NCAA and the NFL or whatever professional sports organization that inhibits their opportunity to participate if you want to complain.

Fourth, the NFL prevents HS students from going straight to the professional ranks. That's on them, not the colleges. The colleges have made their rules and the athletes know what these rules are well before they ever join one of the programs.

Your comments don't sound well thought out and are weak mirrors of much better arguments given by others. You should probably think harder about what you mean to say before you actually say it.