GT Player Deals

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looks like we are not in Kansas anymore Toto. One of the unintended consequences of this new law is that the players are going to be sctrutinized at a previously unseen level. Imagine Brooks (or any other player) having a bad game. Do you suppose there weren't be more than a few who might wonder how much of his time he spent on his personal business venture that should have gone into game preparation. OTOH, I imagine that there will be $ incentive to perform well on the field. No one wants to pay to play video games with a 3rd string OT on a 3- 8 team.

I am not against this new law proposal as it was inevitable. But if you don't think the above scenario is going to play out in the future then I will say that you are probably new to the internet.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like we are not in Kansas anymore Toto. One of the unintended consequences of this new law is that the players are going to be sctrutinized at a previously unseen level. Imagine Brooks (or any other player) having a bad game. Do you suppose there weren't be more than a few who might wonder how much of his time he spent on his personal business venture that should have gone into game preparation. OTOH, I imagine that there will be $ incentive to perform well on the field. No one wants to pay to play video games with a 3rd string OT on a 3- 8 team.

I am not against this new law proposal as it was inevitable. But if you don't think the above scenario is going to play out in the future then I will say that you are probably new to the internet.
And that scenario is the responsibility of the individual to have a grasp on what kind of additional work load they can take on. Some of these opportunities will require actual work. Some will be passive income. Some will leverage activities already being done.

If they fail in one aspect, they need to reassess the priorities and adjust.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how the rules are setup for NIL, but I would think that if UshTV was setup with a Patreon that he could make a pretty good amount.

Patreon and GoFundMe will be interesting. That's a backdoor way of paying SAs that doesn't really involve actually doing promotions or marketing work. SAs could easily post a video of them walking and talking to class and tell fans to pay them through Patreon or something. In recruiting, you could have fanbases "buying" SAs commitments.

It's gonna get messy...but if the NCAA took this seriously instead spending their time fighting it and trying to get it delayed, there may have been a cleaner transition. It's chaos, but I'm here for the SAs making as much as they can.

Milwaukee

Banned
And that scenario is the responsibility of the individual to have a grasp on what kind of additional work load they can take on. Some of these opportunities will require actual work. Some will be passive income. Some will leverage activities already being done.

If they fail in one aspect, they need to reassess the priorities and adjust.
Imho if they’re allowed to be paid now then they should be able to hire someone to manage these things for them. In other words they should be able to sign with an agent. I’m not sure if they can or cannot with this NIL thing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Imho if they’re allowed to be paid now then they should be able to hire someone to manage these things for them. In other words they should be able to sign with an agent. I’m not sure if they can or cannot with this NIL thing.

I agree. I believe the Wisconsin QB basically has his dad as his manager, so he can focus on school & football, providing a quick yes or no on liking a deal.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Patreon and GoFundMe will be interesting. That's a backdoor way of paying SAs that doesn't really involve actually doing promotions or marketing work. SAs could easily post a video of them walking and talking to class and tell fans to pay them through Patreon or something. In recruiting, you could have fanbases "buying" SAs commitments.

It's gonna get messy...but if the NCAA took this seriously instead spending their time fighting it and trying to get it delayed, there may have been a cleaner transition. It's chaos, but I'm here for the SAs making as much as they can.
I don't know intimate details on how Patreon is set up. From what I have seen, people have different layers of support with varying levels of access to content. UshTV has been entertaining enough that he could have a normal Instagram post of short videos and have say maybe a $10 and $20 tier with more and longer videos. He is entertaining enough that I think a lot of people would sign up. The subscribers would get more content. What I am not sure about is whether they will be allowed to show practice, other athletes, etc.

GoFundMe seems like something different to me. What I have seen on it is basically petitions to receive money. There isn't a NIL benefit to anyone paying into GoFundMe, like extra content on a Patreon account.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know intimate details on how Patreon is set up. From what I have seen, people have different layers of support with varying levels of access to content. UshTV has been entertaining enough that he could have a normal Instagram post of short videos and have say maybe a $10 and $20 tier with more and longer videos. He is entertaining enough that I think a lot of people would sign up. The subscribers would get more content. What I am not sure about is whether they will be allowed to show practice, other athletes, etc.

GoFundMe seems like something different to me. What I have seen on it is basically petitions to receive money. There isn't a NIL benefit to anyone paying into GoFundMe, like extra content on a Patreon account.

GoFundMe is what you make of it. Say an SA wants money "take a trip to create content" for his channel or buy equipment to start a content channel on Youtube, he could easily use GoFundMe as a way for fans to send him money. Kinda like this:

YOu can easily see how that could be abused.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I believe this is a very, very slippery slope good vs bad. Of course as with anything in life there will be programs and athletes who abuse it. There will be athletes who receive lots money sent to them through these mediums who do little to nothing for the money. In fact it may make the BAG MAN JOB so much easier. What to stop a endorsement deal of $100,00- 200,000 for eating a bowl of a particular cereal “live on YouTube? Or what’s to stop someone from doing a video of themselves breathing and say “I am being paid to show my face and breathe live”? Rich alums could dominate this space for their specific school! Plus what happens when they want to sew logos to their jersey or past on a helmets during the game? Can it be prevented without placing a limitation on an individual’s opportunity to make money? What if they sign a deal with Nike but their school is another brand? Can the school or coach prevent them from being able to support a product of their choice due to their schools contract? What about a player who picks up a marijuana company and is paid to smoke dope on “Facebook Live” in a state where pot is legal? Or be paid to eat a meal or make an appearance at an event? What kind of limits are set at the price an athlete can be paid or can make in totality? What will constitute a “reasonable wage”? Plus the larger schools can REALLY leverage their fanbase size to attract all the blue chip recruits. Is there anything in the rules against a school having a alum via their company from offering all their football team an endorsement deal that activates automatically after they sign their LOI? The school with the richest/deepest pockets wins! What about a schools policy of forcing athletes to live in a particular place on campus and thus a recruit misses an opportunity to live in a penthouse suite or a endorsement company’s house for endorsing their product? There are SO MANY LAYERS to this onion. The LOI could become a huge distraction to athletes who aren’t mature enough to handle the pressure and extra demands of the contracts that they sign on and the “fine print” and unintended consequences of the long term effects of the contracts they’ve entered into and thus signed away photography rights or potentially other things that leave them in compromised positions in the future. Especially true for the athletes
They need agents/lawyers who are able to give them a clear understanding of the full picture of each contract. I am almost certain that some athletes will settle for pennies in the short term due to the immediate financial demands (own wants/needs, family situations) allowing it to become consuming, lose track of their training, ACADEMICS, and sports schedules (practice, games). They begin to fail school due to the endorsements and become ineligible thus never really ever reaching their full potential athletically or enter into the workforce with a degree. Do the really good athletes have the inner discipline to say I am 100% committed/focused on perfecting my craft to make it to the professional level giving up the short term of “quick money” to make millions of dollars down the road. It’s a gamble.
I believe the athletes should receive some type of financial compensation when the schools/coaches make millions upon millions for the lit performance on their campus facilities but how much is enough vs how much is too much is a tough line to draw.
Perhaps all the schools should’ve been given the exact same monetary budget to pay out for each of their sports team and allow them to decide how much each individual player gets from the lump sum. That way the playing field is equally dispersed. It’s a WHOLE new management headache for the coaches to manage for sure.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I am glad that CGC is our coach during this time because I could hardly imagine anyone better fit to lead the players here. That said, I disagree with those who say that things won't change except the passage of $ will become transparent. Making it easier to buy players is only going to increase it and further exacerbate an arms race. Certainly there will be people who benefit from this and are getting screwed by the NCAA as it is, but I foresee a bunch of endorsements which don't actually increase a business' revenue and are simply legalized bag men.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing that is so worrisome to me is the schools that will recruit by promising a 4-5 star that hé will be guaranteed a "sponsor/job/endorsement" if he commits to their school,,,,, as an earlier poster said, The bagman's job just got easy.....