GT Player Deals

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I believe that GT is well positioned due to CGC and being in the ATL. The schools that have more commerce around them should have a leg up.

My long term goal is to have a spa/mobile massage business and I already have my concept but I don’t necessarily want all the responsibilities that owning my own business would take(yet). IF I were to start it up and wanted marketing and sales reps…guys in a large market are going to be much more appealing in Atlanta than in Clemson or Auburn or Tuscaloosa or Athens. They just can’t sell what I would be selling in that market. The ROI for these schools won’t be profitable. Not saying that they won’t make it happen but these businesses are going to be taking losses whereas in ATL you won’t.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The bag man and the competition decide that. Not really a fair market to the schools who don’t have access to the deep pockets to pull those strings.

As with anything in economics, it is up to the have-nots to figure out how to compete with the big boys. I could understand this argument better if we had any semblance of parity as it stands. But we don't.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe that GT is well positioned due to CGC and being in the ATL. The schools that have more commerce around them should have a leg up.

My long term goal is to have a spa/mobile massage business and I already have my concept but I don’t necessarily want all the responsibilities that owning my own business would take(yet). IF I were to start it up and wanted marketing and sales reps…guys in a large market are going to be much more appealing in Atlanta than in Clemson or Auburn or Tuscaloosa or Athens. They just can’t sell what I would be selling in that market. The ROI for these schools won’t be profitable. Not saying that they won’t make it happen but these businesses are going to be taking losses whereas in ATL you won’t.
I’m hopeful that the ATL will be a big market driver for Tech student athletes. My slight fear is that we will see the Atlanta business community lining up with the likes of Alabama, Auburn and uga which will hurt market saturation for Tech students. But, being in a bigger market is better.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta businesses don't know how to use Zoom?
Yeah, that’s the thing. Not to mention uga players can use the Atlanta skyline in their social media. That’s why I jokingly said earlier that Tech needs to copyright the use of the Atlanta skyline (and iconic locations in town) as quickly as possible.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
And that's ok.
Until it's not...such as when this becomes a distraction to the players who are making something from this or when it starts to erode the cohesiveness of the team when the "haves" start to get viewed differently by the "have nots". It' human nature.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Until it's not...such as when this becomes a distraction to the players who are making something from this or when it starts to erode the cohesiveness of the team when the "haves" start to get viewed differently by the "have nots". It' human nature.
Nope. I'm fine with that. That's ok too. Student-athletes now have their opportunity. Student-athletes have to take responsibility for managing it. Student-athletes need to accept what the market bears for them.

All of those things are ok.

Milwaukee

Banned
Nope. I'm fine with that. That's ok too. Student-athletes now have their opportunity. Student-athletes have to take responsibility for managing it. Student-athletes need to accept what the market bears for them.

Where things have a good chance at becoming ugly is when these athletes start getting into BIG trouble with the IRS while they’re still in school. I don’t see this happening at Tech (knock on wood) but I see it happening in college athletics. It’ll be sad to see too.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Me and some of my old teammates have a group chat and we were discussing this whole NIL thing last night. Our biggest take away is that there are going to be a lot of SA's who are going to find out from the invisibile hand of the market that they are NOT as commercially valuable as they would think.

during our orange bowl season, there were maybe 8-10 guys who could have actually made some coin. And that's out of 110 guys on the roster.

nobody wants to pay up for the endorsement of the 2nd string RG or WR5 at a mid tier P5 team

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Yes I agree but negative, unintended consequences are bound to crop up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we are not in Kansas anymore Toto. One of the unintended consequences of this new law is that the players are going to be sctrutinized at a previously unseen level. Imagine Brooks (or any other player) having a bad game. Do you suppose there weren't be more than a few who might wonder how much of his time he spent on his personal business venture that should have gone into game preparation. OTOH, I imagine that there will be $ incentive to perform well on the field. No one wants to pay to play video games with a 3rd string OT on a 3- 8 team.

I am not against this new law proposal as it was inevitable. But if you don't think the above scenario is going to play out in the future then I will say that you are probably new to the internet.
It potentially can be worse than you think. It is only a matter of time before a booster contacts a hot recruit and offers cash for an endorsement .. if the recruit enrolls at his school.

And if those academic coordinators on various college coaching staffs think they have a problem monitoring attendance, tutoring, grades and eligibility, just wait until the fall. Almost makes me feel sorry for a head coach. This is the inevitable result of decades of NCAA and colleges profiting from athletes and thinking they could get away with it forever.

First time I ever understood what my sainted mother meant when she told me the worm would turn.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
And that's ok. That's how life works.
Yeah, but take into consideration how awful the world is one time dtm. Ok? (tic)

On the real. Kids these days seem more level headed than most adults I talk to. With the emphasis on culture and the locker room I am not worried about our 3rd string Kicker being upset that our starting kicker is now advertising stretchy shoe strings on instagram. If something does happen, I fully expect our coaches to be prepared to handle it. They have been waiting for this.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Me and some of my old teammates have a group chat and we were discussing this whole NIL thing last night. Our biggest take away is that there are going to be a lot of SA's who are going to find out from the invisibile hand of the market that they are NOT as commercially valuable as they would think.

during our orange bowl season, there were maybe 8-10 guys who could have actually made some coin. And that's out of 110 guys on the roster.

nobody wants to pay up for the endorsement of the 2nd string RG or WR5 at a mid tier P5 team
Yeah this is how I see it working out for GT athletes at the moment. Coke isn't going to care that all the GT starters are 10 minutes down the road if they can get the QB for a playoff-bound Alabama team in a commercial that runs for 6 months. The key to the GT athletes being able to monetize their likeness on a big scale is winning games and being fun to watch on TV and possibly having an entertaining presence on social media.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe I'm naive but I'm just dubious that there are businesses who want to invest marketing dollars into all but 5-10 guys in any program. Who would pay the 3rd wideout or slot corner if I can pay the qb or star defensive player that same money? Giving money to anyone outside of the elite players might help the school with recruiting but certainly isn't an effective use of business funds.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'm naive but I'm just dubious that there are businesses who want to invest marketing dollars into all but 5-10 guys in any program. Who would pay the 3rd wideout or slot corner if I can pay the qb or star defensive player that same money? Giving money to anyone outside of the elite players might help the school with recruiting but certainly isn't an effective use of business funds.

Everyone understands that. Most will have to build their own brands, monetize their social media, sell their own merch, etc. But the point is they can now. For most guys, it will probably be a little spending money

Milwaukee

Banned
I’m hoping our players are already starting up the side hustles. T-shirt business should be their 1st and easiest to execute. And I’d love to rock some Gibbs, Griffin, Sims tees at the gym.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
Random reactions:

1. This is unsustainable, imo. the end game scenarios are a cleaving of academic oriented institutions from the factories, this is like giving every nation in the world nuclear weapons, there's not the self control to regulate the bidding war that will ensue in the money making sports of a university.

2. does this mean we can repossess the 2009 acc football chamionship?