GT Player Deals

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Dang…going to make it a little harder for me to eat there knowing that and they just opened a new zaxbys down the road from me.
Sorry, late to the thread, as if you needed another reason not to support Zaxby’s, Ray Goff is their largest franchise operator, 42 restaurants in four states, so he’s in on the action also.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
First entire team NIL deal, according to this article.

Lot of details in there worth checking out. Ex:
TiVo, known for creating a premium home football watching experience with its 4K streaming device, is also enhancing how the Georgia Tech team prepares for games. TiVo upgraded the team’s media room with a new projector, a state-of-the-art sound system, a TiVo Stream 4K, deluxe movie seating, and (of course) some cozy TiVo pillows. After a hard practice, a number of athletes were surprised with some silk TiVo PJs to relax in. And every player got a TiVo football, made to the specifications and by the manufacturer of the Yellow Jackets’ own game ball.
In addition to receiving what is for most players, their very first NIL contract, every Georgia Tech player will also receive a TiVo Stream 4K. The TiVo Stream 4K upgrades the football viewing experience by converting any TV into a premium smart TV experience, bringing favorite shows, games and apps onto one hub.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Something I wonder about - are players allowed to give shoutouts to sponsors during games? When our guys go write their instagram handles on the whiteboard after a turnover, what if they write their sponsor's name instead? What if its a sponsor ESPN doesn't agree with?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Something I wonder about - are players allowed to give shoutouts to sponsors during games? When our guys go write their instagram handles on the whiteboard after a turnover, what if they write their sponsor's name instead? What if its a sponsor ESPN doesn't agree with?
I've wondered the same. It's only a matter of time. At this point let's just let it rip and enjoy the ride like Rod Sweeting - "Awww shiiaaa"

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't see that happening, or at least not happening a lot. It would be in their better interest to put their Instagram handle and use their Instagram to have ads for sponsors. The players would be much better off hyping themselves, and then using their social media to advertise. Take Yates for instance. If he put "Buy Braves Tickets" on the board, he wouldn't get credit for any sales related to that. If he puts his Instagram handle, and people buy tickets from the link on his Instagram, he gets a commission.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't see that happening, or at least not happening a lot. It would be in their better interest to put their Instagram handle and use their Instagram to have ads for sponsors. The players would be much better off hyping themselves, and then using their social media to advertise. Take Yates for instance. If he put "Buy Braves Tickets" on the board, he wouldn't get credit for any sales related to that. If he puts his Instagram handle, and people buy tickets from the link on his Instagram, he gets a commission.
A sponsor would far rather have their own name on that board, being broadcast nationally for 15 seconds, than 100 posts on the athletes' instagram. I would think they could say "Everytime you get a turnover and write our name on that board, you get $10k"

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A sponsor would far rather have their own name on that board, being broadcast nationally for 15 seconds, than 100 posts on the athletes' instagram. I would think they could say "Everytime you get a turnover and write our name on that board, you get $10k"
That would depend on who the player is already. I also think you are overestimating the value. It would take a very popular game for someone to get an offer that size. Also, in your previous post you asked about sponsors that ESPN doesn't agree with. If competing sponsors start showing up on turnover boards, ESPN will just not show them on TV. They might also stop showing them just because "sponsors" who aren't paying ESPN directly are benefitting from it.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

Some more detail from Ken. Cool that it was a GT grad that initiated the deal.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
TiVO carry the ACC Network?
The Tivo device they're handing out is more like a Roku competitor. Depends on which streaming service you get whether you get ACC nw. Tivo supports Youtube tv which has ACC nw. I'd do some investigating; I'd heard terrible quality issues in the past. Hopefully they are solved. We had Tivos for 10+ years before moving to roku and google android tv

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've wondered the same. It's only a matter of time. At this point let's just let it rip and enjoy the ride like Rod Sweeting - "Awww shiiaaa"

As much as I enjoyed Sweeting's reply to interviewer, I really enjoyed CPJ's and the team's reaction to it even more. One of my favorite CPJ memories.

Also interesting note about that game, I believe it was CPJ's first bowl win as GT's coach.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
The Tivo device they're handing out is more like a Roku competitor. Depends on which streaming service you get whether you get ACC nw. Tivo supports Youtube tv which has ACC nw. I'd do some investigating; I'd heard terrible quality issues in the past. Hopefully they are solved. We had Tivos for 10+ years before moving to roku and google android tv

We got one for free via a YouTubeTV offer a few months ago. We put it on an aging Samsung TV, and it's been a great device for watching YTTV, Netflix, Amazon. It's basically an Android TV platform with advanced search and recommendation engine. I would have recommended over Roku or Apple TV prior to GT deal, but now I am compelled to become an evangelist :)