GT-Pitt Postponed

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep, the reality is our season may be done. We're supposed to travel to Miami in a couple weeks, which has traditionally been a covid hot spot. Then Duke is supposed to come here after that and over Thanksgiving, and North Carolina has been a super locked down state where they can't even have fans at their games. We just had over 150,000 new cases yesterday nationally. I'm so happy we were able to get as many games in as we got, but we may well be done. We will see.
I don't think the season is over but the number of games overall is likely to decrease week over week from this point forward in college football in general. How many more GT gets to play who knows - I was hoping we'd get 8 games, so we are getting close.
ASU vs Cal was cancelled this afternoon after an outbreak at ASU. That is the 12th game this weekend that has been postponed/cancelled which is over 20% of all games scheduled.

I'm also somewhat cynical about whether most of the games rescheduled for Dec 12th actually happen. The situation in the country is likely to be worse at that point than it is today, so if a game on Dec 12th has no bearing on whether a team plays in the conf CG on the 19th, why play them. Alot of schools are basically ending Fall semester at Thanksgiving. Does it make sense to keep playing most games after that poin and will it become too much of a PR headache to play them (students are done with school, the virus is accelerating,why are unpaid SA's playing games - I suspect that will be the opinion pieces that start to appear).

My other thought is how many bowl games are actually going to happen? I expect the CFP to happen, but outside of that, will there be enough of a demand for other bowl games to happen or are most schools simply going to say - no this is not worth it to do this in late December.

Deleted member 2897

I don't think the season is over but the number of games overall is likely to decrease week over week from this point forward in college football in general. How many more GT gets to play who knows - I was hoping we'd get 8 games, so we are getting close.
ASU vs Cal was cancelled this afternoon after an outbreak at ASU. That is the 12th game this weekend that has been postponed/cancelled which is over 20% of all games scheduled.

I'm also somewhat cynical about whether most of the games rescheduled for Dec 12th actually happen. The situation in the country is likely to be worse at that point than it is today, so if a game on Dec 12th has no bearing on whether a team plays in the conf CG on the 19th, why play them. Alot of schools are basically ending Fall semester at Thanksgiving. Does it make sense to keep playing most games after that poin and will it become too much of a PR headache to play them (students are done with school, the virus is accelerating,why are unpaid SA's playing games - I suspect that will be the opinion pieces that start to appear).

My other thought is how many bowl games are actually going to happen? I expect the CFP to happen, but outside of that, will there be enough of a demand for other bowl games to happen or are most schools simply going to say - no this is not worth it to do this in late December.

I expect bowl sponsors to call force majeure and move on. Many of them lose money even if they sell a lot of tickets. No sense in a down economy to lose even more money.

Milwaukee

Banned
Neuheisel has been making a strong argument for several weeks now to expand the playoff this year to 8 (where it should be permanently imo). But just as a one year thing is fine, the committee should be flexible on this. The conferences need the tv money more than ever (whether or not they’ve been extremely irresponsible and made their own bed is another discussion). The expanded playoff would be an enormous boost in tv revenue for everyone involved. He makes a damn good case; NBA, NHL, MLB all have made crazy exceptions to their normal format in order to keep some $ coming in. Everything and everyone should be fluid this season, now isn’t the time to be set and stubborn. Just expand it to 8 for this one year, why not? Nothing about this season is normal so why not be flexible and creative with your format.
Thoughts?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I said at the beginning of the season if we can just get 8 games in i'll be happy. Just need 1 more to get there.

Wasn't going to be able to watch this one anyways since Fox Sports is no longer on YouTube or Hulu. If they actually do play it on Dec 12th maybe it will be on something i can watch.
how do you get fox sports these days???? Seems like they have priced themselves off of everyones list

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Interesting note with today's cancelation of the ASU-Cal game. ASU did not have 53 players available due to positive tests and contact tracing. Cal had its entire defensive line in quarantine due to contact tracing from one positive test. Neither Pitt nor Tech stated publicly how many players were affected in their decisions.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Neuheisel has been making a strong argument for several weeks now to expand the playoff this year to 8 (where it should be permanently imo). But just as a one year thing is fine, the committee should be flexible on this. The conferences need the tv money more than ever (whether or not they’ve been extremely irresponsible and made their own bed is another discussion). The expanded playoff would be an enormous boost in tv revenue for everyone involved. He makes a damn good case; NBA, NHL, MLB all have made crazy exceptions to their normal format in order to keep some $ coming in. Everything and everyone should be fluid this season, now isn’t the time to be set and stubborn. Just expand it to 8 for this one year, why not? Nothing about this season is normal so why not be flexible and creative with your format.
Thoughts?
Completely agree.

Deleted member 2897

Interesting note with today's cancelation of the ASU-Cal game. ASU did not have 53 players available due to positive tests and contact tracing. Cal had its entire defensive line in quarantine due to contact tracing from one positive test. Neither Pitt nor Tech stated publicly how many players were affected in their decisions.

Todd said we only had a couple positive tests, but also were missing a bunch of people from injuries. Total buffoon answer IMHO.

Cal missed the first week’s game because of 1 positive test (the other 90+ players were caught up in contact tracing). If you’re practicing with your entire team altogether at this point, I guess you get what you deserve.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Todd said we only had a couple positive tests, but also were missing a bunch of people from injuries. Total buffoon answer IMHO.

Cal missed the first week’s game because of 1 positive test (the other 90+ players were caught up in contact tracing). If you’re practicing with your entire team altogether at this point, I guess you get what you deserve.

His quote was ambiguous. I don't blame him--I blame the media reporting the matter for not adding clarity. However, in his position he should be media savvy enough to be careful with what he says. A journalist made an inquiry to me yesterday for a quote, so today I ran my response by a consultant before sending it. It amazes me that people blindly trust media reporting, but I digress.

What I believe he was trying to say was that we haven't had many positive cases on the team, but due to contact tracing---from trying to be careful-- and injuries, we had limited personnel. There is no reason to play a game that would not be fully competitive due to preventative measures on both teams. That's what I think he meant, but it didn't come out that way.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
His quote was ambiguous. I don't blame him--I blame the media reporting the matter for not adding clarity. However, in his position he should be media savvy enough to be careful with what he says. A journalist made an inquiry to me yesterday for a quote, so today I ran my response by a consultant before sending it. It amazes me that people blindly trust media reporting, but I digress.

What I believe he was trying to say was that we haven't had many positive cases on the team, but due to contact tracing---from trying to be careful-- and injuries, we had limited personnel. There is no reason to play a game that would not be fully competitive due to preventative measures on both teams. That's what I think he meant, but it didn't come out that way.
I don't have inside information, but would not be surprised to hear Stan was providing cover for a fellow AD.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree.
I wouldn't mind an eight game playoff, but only if they get rid of the usually meaningless cash cow conference championship games. There wouldn't even be a need for them if teams played a realistic number of conference regular season games instead playing eight(SEC) along with a one major school and three cup cakes.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind an eight game playoff, but only if they get rid of the usually meaningless cash cow conference championship games. There wouldn't even be a need for them if teams played a realistic number of conference regular season games instead playing eight(SEC) along with a one major school and three cup cakes.
I believe the argument Milwaukee was making was that it could be changed to 8 this year because teams aren't playing their regular schedules, especially cupcake games, and may not even get in a full conference schedule. Similar to how the professional sports leagues have adapted this year, including the NFL potentially adding 1 more playoff team for each conference during the season in case all teams don't play a full schedule, perhaps CFB makes a one year change. I don't think that any college football programs are making money this year, so any additional money from playoff TV contracts would certainly help.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the argument Milwaukee was making was that it could be changed to 8 this year because teams aren't playing their regular schedules, especially cupcake games, and may not even get in a full conference schedule. Similar to how the professional sports leagues have adapted this year, including the NFL potentially adding 1 more playoff team for each conference during the season in case all teams don't play a full schedule, perhaps CFB makes a one year change. I don't think that any college football programs are making money this year, so any additional money from playoff TV contracts would certainly help.
Right.....but we both know when you open the door to more games and more players....in any sport....they never go back. I have no interest in seeing a two loss Big Ten team voted 8th in a playoff. I'm one that thinks the regular season schedule should be constructed so that the record matters. I have no issue with having the conference championship games and eight playoff teams in 2020 as this is a gimmick year, but they are going to say 'Wasn't that exciting? Let's keep it.' Meanwhile, the one loss ACC team is marked as 9th in 2021and left out because the Big Ten folks say our conference is weak.
After Georgia U and Duck Notre Fame, you might have guessed that I have little tolerance for the pompous Big Ten. HA

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Off the rails much. I got confused but...I’m happy that it’s not being played because I’m in Mexico for my honeymoon and won’t be able to see much of any games this weekend. Hopefully can keep up with the masters. There’s a Mexican dude up at the top so hopefully it’ll be on everywhere on Sunday.

Off the rails much. I got confused but...I’m happy that it’s not being played because I’m in Mexico for my honeymoon and won’t be able to see much of any games this weekend. Hopefully can keep up with the masters. There’s a Mexican dude up at the top so hopefully it’ll be on everywhere on Sunday.
You are on your honeymoon, and yet at 2:19AM EST, you are on TheSwarm and planning on watching the Masters later? Hmm Sounds like the honeymoon's over already. LOL

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You are on your honeymoon, and yet at 2:19AM EST, you are on TheSwarm and planning on watching the Masters later? Hmm Sounds like the honeymoon's over already. LOL
@Buzztheirazz could be in a performance mandated hydration break
1605370098828.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now, now. He's on his honeymoon. He's got enough snark to contend with already.

Oh no my friend. Snark doesn't raise it's ugly head until about midway through the first year. Or until all the thank you cards have been sent. No matter how hard you stay on her to get that done because you are sick of your Aunt Betty asking if you received the nice GE toaster she sent, those are approximately the same lengths of time. But once that Pandora's box has been opened........

:);)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Milwaukee's idea.
Given how things are going i'd move to an 8 game playoff and cancel any other bowls. i almost think what we need to do is have the teams picked on Dec 20th and then anyone who wants to be involved goes into immediate 2 week isolation.
I think they need to create a modified version of the NBA bubble. Otherwise you could end up with teams in the playoffs unable to play.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’d stop the season and move to a16 team playoff to start the first week in December. That way you don’t penalize those that played a few games vs those that have played nearly a full season.