GT Peer Group & Path to Success

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at stanford. They've had big success in football in the last 20 years and they have HARDER academic standards than Tech. Academics is no excuse for losing. Tech has won before, we have got to get back to winning again. BUT... be a little patient, unless we go 1-11, we probably won't fire Collins until December. I'm tired of all the "FIRE COLLINS NOW" comments, only way we'd do that is if we ended up losing on Saturday to WCU. The Ole Miss game will be very important, will most likely set tone of this season.
Let me whole heartly disagree with this statement. While Stanford is a premier university that has some difficult areas of study, (1) they can get any athlete they want enrolled as they are a private non-profit school. (2) Once enrolled, they have a Bachelor of Arts program (40 different areas, to include Art Studies, Religious Studies, Urban Studies, Feminist, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Urban Studies, etc.) which are by far easier to remain in school under the degree progress rules, and (3) Their students do not have to declare for a major until their Junior academic year. On the other hand, although Tech can get athletes enrolled under academic waivers, they still must pursue a Bachelor of Science degree (think STEM).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Stanford is a unique story. They had several boosters set up a huge endowment for sports, particularly football, and they used it to pay top money for a coaching staff in the early to mid 2000's. Harbaugh and staff built a solid program and thrived in the vacuum created by the massive USC sanctions after the Reggie Bush scandal broke. Shaw had some success initially, but has failed to maintain the levels of success that were initially built under Harbaugh. They are, however, in a good spot to recover and win at elevated levels again.

The major difference is in a few things, however. First, USC is about to Bolt to the B1G. In a watered down PAC-?? they should be able to establish themselves as a perennial contender because they have three major things to offer: A degree from Stanford, lots of majors to get said degree in, and a cash rich program that can afford to stay in the game with fellow west coast schools not named USC and Oregon.
Stanford is also a private school with more majors. We are more similar to Purdue than any other school in P5, and even they have a wider array of majors offered.

This doesn’t mean we can’t compete, but comparing us to Stanford has gotten tiring.

slugboy

Staff member
Look at stanford. They've had big success in football in the last 20 years and they have HARDER academic standards than Tech. Academics is no excuse for losing. Tech has won before, we have got to get back to winning again. BUT... be a little patient, unless we go 1-11, we probably won't fire Collins until December. I'm tired of all the "FIRE COLLINS NOW" comments, only way we'd do that is if we ended up losing on Saturday to WCU. The Ole Miss game will be very important, will most likely set tone of this season.
Others have mentioned the majors available at Stanford. They are a private institution with a premier medical school and a premier law school and would be flush with cash from those alone. They have massive funds from the bay area technology firms and alumni. They have fewer strings attached to how they spend money. They are loaded with advantages compared to us.

Most importantly, the last four years, their football team has gone 4-8, 4-2, 3-9, and are currently 1-1. They're in the same boat we are, possibly with slightly less water on their end. They were irrelevant before Harbaugh got there, and unless they fix things, they're trending in that same direction again.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very few Stanford football players have a calculus requirement.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This may be true. However, when I checked the actual majors of their current roster (https://gostanford.com/sports/football/roster) in the Texas vs Bama thread, I found that most have legit majors that seemed on par with most of our team.
But such a wider range of subjects. That's the thing. Tech has expanded its curriculum somewhat to include liberal arts courses that are bent toward technology (I love what they did with the international relations degree, for example), but it's still pretty limited compared to a place like Stanford. I've always felt we should be going after more of the type of recruit that would be interested in what Tech has to offer in stem subjects, nationwide. But that having been said, I was amazed at how well Geoff was recruiting in our back yard there for a while, until his bad coaching (and perhaps the NIL) caught up with him.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
But such a wider range of subjects. That's the thing. Tech has expanded its curriculum somewhat to include liberal arts courses that are bent toward technology (I love what they did with the international relations degree, for example), but it's still pretty limited compared to a place like Stanford. I've always felt we should be going after more of the type of recruit that would be interested in what Tech has to offer in stem subjects, nationwide. But that having been said, I was amazed at how well Geoff was recruiting in our back yard there for a while, until his bad coaching (and perhaps the NIL) caught up with him.
I like the Stanford model better than the MIT model which we seemed to be more like in the past .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stanford is also a private school with more majors. We are more similar to Purdue than any other school in P5, and even they have a wider array of majors offered.

This doesn’t mean we can’t compete, but comparing us to Stanford has gotten tiring.

Hence the first sentence I wrote: Stanford is a unique story...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
At least in baseball we complain about not advancing to the top 16 after making the NCAAs every year. Money has been well spent there on good facilities.

But that is probably due to directed contributions from some former MLB alum. But that sport isn't screwed up (other than ...... NM).

Texiera is bankrolling GT baseball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Let me whole heartly disagree with this statement. While Stanford is a premier university that has some difficult areas of study, (1) they can get any athlete they want enrolled as they are a private non-profit school. (2) Once enrolled, they have a Bachelor of Arts program (40 different areas, to include Art Studies, Religious Studies, Urban Studies, Feminist, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Urban Studies, etc.) which are by far easier to remain in school under the degree progress rules, and (3) Their students do not have to declare for a major until their Junior academic year. On the other hand, although Tech can get athletes enrolled under academic waivers, they still must pursue a Bachelor of Science degree (think STEM).
Bingo

" still must pursue a bachelor of Science degree"

Then add a BOR imposed limited choice of courses. Restated if a couse of study is available at ga state, uga, etc then Tech can't offer.

We take pride our school as the largest provider of great engineers. But a statistically insignificant percentage play football or basketball.

What other school with strong football and basketball have these policies?

Need some help from hill/ bor/ state.

We have made progress at a more general tech course offering.

But like the old OU guy said about Nebraska- "sad to see them so bad. It's time to put that old dog down. "

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bingo

" still must pursue a bachelor of Science degree"

Then add a BOR imposed limited choice of courses. Restated if a couse of study is available at ga state, uga, etc then Tech can't offer.

We take pride our school as the largest provider of great engineers. But a statistically insignificant percentage play football or basketball.

What other school with strong football and basketball have these policies?

Need some help from hill/ bor/ state.

We have made progress at a more general tech course offering.

But like the old OU guy said about Nebraska- "sad to see them so bad. It's time to put that old dog down. "
But they allow UGA to offer engineering because---- GT is too selective? I contend it's to recruit a few kids who want to study engineering.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like the Stanford model better than the MIT model which we seemed to be more like in the past .
Stanford is a University and MIT is an Institute of Technology. Which do you believe Georgia Institute of Technology should be more similar? Georgia Tech is the only institute of technology fielding a team at the P5 level.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stanford is a University and MIT is an Institute of Technology. Which do you believe Georgia Institute of Technology should be more similar? Georgia Tech is the only institute of technology fielding a team at the P5 level.

GT is a university. Our own website says so. The title Institute of Technology is an indicator of what type of university we are. That being said, we are far more similar to MIT than Stanford, as you noted.

"The Georgia Institute of Technology is a top 10 public research university with nearly 40,000 students who study in person at the main campus in Atlanta, at Georgia Tech-Lorraine in France, at Georgia Tech-Shenzhen in China, as well as through distance and online learning."

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
GT is a university. Our own website says so. The title Institute of Technology is an indicator of what type of university we are. That being said, we are far more similar to MIT than Stanford, as you noted.

"The Georgia Institute of Technology is a top 10 public research university with nearly 40,000 students who study in person at the main campus in Atlanta, at Georgia Tech-Lorraine in France, at Georgia Tech-Shenzhen in China, as well as through distance and online learning."

There's also other "Tech" schools like VT and Texas Tech. Sure GT is a more prestigious academic institution than those two but the "Tech school" sterotype is no excuse for not competing in athletics.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There's also other "Tech" schools like VT and Texas Tech. Sure GT is a more prestigious academic institution than those two but the "Tech school" sterotype is no excuse for not competing in athletics.
Not sure what point you are making, but the there is competing in athletics and then there is competing in D1 athletics.

Tech, like so many other "Tech" schools, was founded to help industrialize the state, especially after the Civil War. You could argue that Auburn is just like Tech and therefore, there is no reason why Tech can't compete with Auburn.

But the schools have evolved completely diffenerently. Athletics at Auburn is fundamental to the mission. It is everywhere. Students are encouraged to participate in sports, athletics, fitness ... and athletics is used to unite the alumni base as well. Auburn is dysfunctional when it comes to running the athletics department ... but they want to win and have the money to throw at it.

That *may* have been true earlier at Tech (prior to say, 1980), but ... Tech today is WAY beyond being a typical technical school. It's focus today is heavy on research and delivering $1B a year to the state of Georgia. Tech's peer group today is ... MIT, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, Texas A&M, Princeton, CalTech, Yale, Cornell, Emory, Stanford, etc. (All top 10 research universities). If you are the President of GT, THAT is who you compare yourself to ... and one reason why Bud spent about 15 min a year on athletics.

I'm extremely proud that Tech is one of the Top 10 research universities in the country and one the few that still do compete at the D1 level. But don't forget ... Petit almost shut athletics down. It wasn't a priority for the Hill then and it hasn't become one now. It's research $$$.

slugboy

Staff member
If you look at the “GT Peer Group”, the missing ingredient isn’t a winning football team—it’s medical research. If we had a med school and a hospital, we’d massively grow our endowment and research $$$$$

If we had a smart and savvy board of regents…but we don’t

YOW! We went off topic

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you look at the “GT Peer Group”, the missing ingredient isn’t a winning football team—it’s medical research. If we had a med school and a hospital, we’d massively grow our endowment and research $$$$$

If we had a smart and savvy board of regents…but we don’t

YOW! We went off topic

There's a STRONG lobby here in Augusta determined to keep the Medical College of Georgia, now a part of Augusta University, as the premier public medical research school in Georgia.