• Over

Votes: 168 89.8%
  • Under

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The pre-game atmosphere is, dare I say, electric... (Just ask Lee Corso)

Lightning Storm GIF

Ruined the coming out party for one of the most under-rated QBs in Tech history: Goose Godsey

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ruined the coming out party for one of the most under-rated QBs in Tech history: Goose Godsey
As many others on this site, I was there. There is no way to know how Goose would have turned out had that game taken place. History turned out very well without that game for Goose!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Our offense last year was 33rd in OFEI, 34th in total offense, and 43rd in scoring offense. I think against a tougher schedule we will have to improve on offense to maintain those numbers which I actually do think we can do. When you start throwing top 25 and top 15 in there as expectations when we have a schedule that includes 5 teams that finished in the top 20 in DFEI the previous year then you are drinking the kool aid a bit.
I think looking at the total rankings is dumb anyway. 15 of the top 40 in both scoring and total offense were G5 schools. Those numbers don’t really tell you anything useful relative to who were actually playing. We had a top 4 offense in our conference with all of the limiting factors I listed earlier. Every ACC team that finished ranked ahead of GT in OFEI is replacing their QB from last year. We very easily could have the best offense in the ACC, which is what I said in my original post. Does that necessarily mean we’d be ranked in the top 25 or top 15 in the country in scoring or total offense? No, because those rankings don’t really tell you anything anyway. There was 1 ACC team ranked in the top 15 of OFEI last year, and that was UNC. A team we outscored. North Texas had more total offense than UNC last year, does that tell you anything about the quality of either team? No.

I don’t think anyone’s expectations should be an elite offense next year, but we could very well have one. But I don’t really see any reason why anyone would expect us to take a step backwards offensively given how much we return. The schedule doesn’t scare me at all, our schedule was supposed to be tough last year and it ended up #33 in ESPN’s SOS rankings. It’s a non-starter for me

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's easy to blame Collins and Stansbury for Tech's football attendance problems, but in reality, it's been declining for over a decade. 2020 notwithstanding, we've seen a pretty steady decline in attendance since 2015.

IMO, it's a mix between a declining and aging fan base, poor decision making in marketing our team, 3.5 years of a coach sabotaging the program with an AD that refused to see the light, and general declines in college football attendance nationwide.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to blame Collins and Stansbury for Tech's football attendance problems, but in reality, it's been declining for over a decade. 2020 notwithstanding, we've seen a pretty steady decline in attendance since 2015.

IMO, it's a mix between a declining and aging fan base, poor decision making in marketing our team, 3.5 years of a coach sabotaging the program with an AD that refused to see the light, and general declines in college football attendance nationwide.
Many of our fans lost interest due to the offense we ran 2015-2018 coupled with our losing record of 23-25 in those years prior to Collins/Stansbury as well.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Many of our fans lost interest due to the offense we ran 2015-2018 coupled with our losing record of 23-25 in those years prior to Collins/Stansbury as well.
I think it is a combo of mediocrity performance, aging fanbase and completely lost the sidewalk fans to UGA and other adjacent schools. The last time we were at least somewhat relavent in this state was in the 1990s.

slugboy

Staff member

Bobinski did some damage before TStan, and so did the ADs before him.

The last couple of seasons were really bad because they drove fans out of the stadium. It’s easier to keep a fan than to make a new one, and we lost a lot of fans.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Can somebody who picked under 5.5 explain their rational? I’m curious. I do think our schedule got harder, but leaning towards 6 rather than 5 feels like the safer bet to me.

Duke, GSU, VMI should be wins IMO

UNC loses their pass daddy (who we beat), taking a step back- we keep ours and bring back everyone else. I’m saying win.

This leaves us with 8 other games, all which the pendulum could swing our way. I think we are cleansed of the Collins team that simply games with simply zero chances of winning. Our offense can score on anybody, so if our defense holds just a littttttttle better and gets a turnover or two, we’re in the fight just like the UGA game. Which makes me think 2 more wins can happen after the first 4 I listed.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski did some damage before TStan, and so did the ADs before him.

The last couple of seasons were really bad because they drove fans out of the stadium. It’s easier to keep a fan than to make a new one, and we lost a lot of fans.
I agree here. GT was not lighting up the field from 2015 on, yet we were competing well. Lot’s of close losses with very few blowouts. MBoob was hamstringing CPJ and the sparks were evident. Stan came in with a lot of promise, but ended up the same.

I take it that since he went with such a radical change in TFG that he felt radical change was needed. He didn’t address the right thing though. He raised almost $200M to build new buildings but would not give CPJ more money for coaches and recruiting. He put a full court press on “the 404” but allowed a crappy, non-competitive team on the field with a coach making excuses right and left - and he wouldn’t make a change.

People gawked at our non-competitiveness and walked away. Tough to get those back. They’ve seen institutional negligence and programmatic incompetence winked at, all while our rival to the east has soared.

It is what it is. We have to start where we are and build back. The support of Cabrera and the competence of Batt have been a breath of fresh air. There’s hope but it’s a long road ahead.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree here. GT was not lighting up the field from 2015 on, yet we were competing well. Lot’s of close losses with very few blowouts. MBoob was hamstringing CPJ and the sparks were evident. Stan came in with a lot of promise, but ended up the same.

I take it that since he went with such a radical change in TFG that he felt radical change was needed. He didn’t address the right thing though. He raised almost $200M to build new buildings but would not give CPJ more money for coaches and recruiting. He put a full court press on “the 404” but allowed a crappy, non-competitive team on the field with a coach making excuses right and left - and he wouldn’t make a change.

People gawked at our non-competitiveness and walked away. Tough to get those back. They’ve seen institutional negligence and programmatic incompetence winked at, all while our rival to the east has soared.

It is what it is. We have to start where we are and build back. The support of Cabrera and the competence of Batt have been a breath of fresh air. There’s hope but it’s a long road ahead.
Stansbury was a “fix the stadium” or “capital campaign” hire. If you look at what he did elsewhere, fixing up the UCF stadium and bringing in new concepts is what he did.

You can see someone’s priorities by where they put their time. Before Batt, the emphasis was on hiring ADs that build buildings.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Can somebody who picked under 5.5 explain their rational? I’m curious. I do think our schedule got harder, but leaning towards 6 rather than 5 feels like the safer bet to me.

Duke, GSU, VMI should be wins IMO

UNC loses their pass daddy (who we beat), taking a step back- we keep ours and bring back everyone else. I’m saying win.

This leaves us with 8 other games, all which the pendulum could swing our way. I think we are cleansed of the Collins team that simply games with simply zero chances of winning. Our offense can score on anybody, so if our defense holds just a littttttttle better and gets a turnover or two, we’re in the fight just like the UGA game. Which makes me think 2 more wins can happen after the first 4 I listed.
Two reasons. Our defense has simply been terrible for years now. The "hope" is they will be better. Until they prove they are significantly better winning games will be very hard. We needed to score around 40 points in 6 or so games last year if we were going to win those games. That is a tall task!

Second is injury potential. On offense, which was good to very good last year, we stayed healthy for the most part. Our depth is questionable at several positions so we need to stay healthy at QB, OL and RB. That is not controllable.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Two reasons. Our defense has simply been terrible for years now. The "hope" is they will be better. Until they prove they are significantly better winning games will be very hard. We needed to score around 40 points in 6 or so games last year if we were going to win those games. That is a tall task!

Second is injury potential. On offense, which was good to very good last year, we stayed healthy for the most part. Our depth is questionable at several positions so we need to stay healthy at QB, OL and RB. That is not controllable.
That’s valid. Besides Sylavin and Blackburn, pretty much all weapons stayed healthy all year.
I certainly am hopeful for defensive improvements since we can’t get much worse in comparison to the FBS. I think odds are, Santucci will have SOME sort of positive impact year one.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That’s valid. Besides Sylavin and Blackburn, pretty much all weapons stayed healthy all year.
I certainly am hopeful for defensive improvements since we can’t get much worse in comparison to the FBS. I think odds are, Santucci will have SOME sort of positive impact year one.
Santucci will be a positive for the D but it will require some time. I fully expect improvement, but not what we saw with the O last season. I think mainly just more consistent play all around and stouter front 6 due to greater experience. Biggers and Fortson should be a good tandem at DT. Efford, Tatum, and Lightsey should be an improvement at LB. We have a chance to step up at DE too. I look for moderate improvement there.