• Over

Votes: 168 89.8%
  • Under

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am quite sure that as we get into the latter stages of spring practice the board members will begin taking a peek at what is happening in Tallahassee. Today, FSU released an updated chart of their player's weight compared to the beginning of the year . According to the release, DJ is up to 255 pounds from 245. It looks like he played at 250 at Clemson. It seems to me . the FSU coaching staff might want a slimmer version? I am sure our Defensive Coaching staff will notice this and probably monitor what he looks like when summer practice starts up. If his weight remains at 255 , this leads me to believe FSU will plan to keep him in the pocket and run him on QB leads and QB draws rather than running him on the perimeter.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I am quite sure that as we get into the latter stages of spring practice the board members will begin taking a peek at what is happening in Tallahassee. Today, FSU released an updated chart of their player's weight compared to the beginning of the year . According to the release, DJ is up to 255 pounds from 245. It looks like he played at 250 at Clemson. It seems to me . the FSU coaching staff might want a slimmer version? I am sure our Defensive Coaching staff will notice this and probably monitor what he looks like when summer practice starts up. If his weight remains at 255 , this leads me to believe FSU will plan to keep him in the pocket and run him on QB leads and QB draws rather than running him on the perimeter.
pardon me…having a Logan Thomas flashback.
IMG_8762.gif

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Biggest problem with Logan Thomas was Sneezy hitting him late after we had them stopped on third down and in control of that game. Instead of forcing them to punt, they got new life. And we didn't.
And just as significantly if not worse, Sneezy knocked him up side of the head.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Biggest problem with Logan Thomas was Sneezy hitting him late after we had them stopped on third down and in control of that game. Instead of forcing them to punt, they got new life. And we didn't.
I mean, the biggest problem was that LT was incredibly hard to bring down because of his size. We had been having trouble stopping him all game, that's why Jeremiah was frustrated and swung. Had he been as easy tackle as most quarterbacks, the hit would have never happened.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Norvell has given several interviews and speeches within the past week. I like Coach Norvell and think he is a good coach and a fine man. But hearing him speak about this year's team , his tone could best be categorized as " hopeful. " He does not sound confident or quietly confident. Despite FSU's media and delusional fanbase , the term reload is not the same as it exists at UGA or Alabama.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Norvell has given several interviews and speeches within the past week. I like Coach Norvell and think he is a good coach and a fine man. But hearing him speak about this year's team , his tone could best be categorized as " hopeful. " He does not sound confident or quietly confident. Despite FSU's media and delusional fanbase , the term reload is not the same as it exists at UGA or Alabama.
I'm hopeful it sounds like Paul Johnson after fall practice in 2015. The moment where he said "I dunno which practice you were watching" to the press goes down as one of my most "I wish it hadn't happened, but I was glad to have a coach that called it like it was" moments ever as a fan.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm hopeful it sounds like Paul Johnson after fall practice in 2015. The moment where he said "I dunno which practice you were watching" to the press goes down as one of my most "I wish it hadn't happened, but I was glad to have a coach that called it like it was" moments ever as a fan.

No Coach would give an interview like this in today's world. Coach Norvell speaks with optimism, but I sense he really doesn't know what he has on either side of the ball. Many of FSU's hopes are riding on an unproven 4 or 5 star transfer who didn't produce at their earlier school for whatever reason. On breaking news out of Coral Gables, Miami starting RB Henry Parrish, Jr. is hitting the transfer portal. With the earlier transfer of Co Starter Don Chaney, Jr. to Louisville , Miami's RB room is very thin.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
We have less than 6 months before we head to Ireland, but here a couple of takeaways from the media reports covering spring practice in Tallahassee. The consensus talking point is that FSU doesn't have the same level of top line talent pretty much across the board with the exception being the OL and the DBs. Instead, the Seminole media is painting a positive narrative that the overall depth is much better and the drop off when players are rotated into the game won't be as pronounced. Maybe this is true, but what this tells me is that FSU will not replace the level of talent that saw 12 players invited to the combine. There is also talk that there might be a QB battle emerging between DJ and Brock Glenn. It sounds like this is based partly on Brock getting better, but more so that DJ is not replacing the play making ability of Jordan Travis. There is a long, long way to go, but in my optimistic mind the Jackets can absolutely win the opener. For us, its about improving our defense and continuing the level of offense we saw in Tampa.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The FSU game comes down to our offensive line. Our QB is fine. Our RB’s are fine. Our WR’s are fine. Our TE‘s are unknown. If our OLine plays pissed off and nasty then we will score at will and win. If you look at our history in the past 40 years, when our OLine is nasty we have successful years. The skilled positions don’t determine wins and losses - their success is totally dependent on the play of the OLine.

Faulkner, as last season went on, realized he does not have to be cute. Football is not a cute sport. He realized just give the ball to the backs and let the OLine go to work. That we have a QB and WR’s (Rutherford and Singleton) who are highly competent and can make the DC pay for loading the box to stop our RB’s is the icing. With our OLine basically back and intact all Faulkner needs to do is play basic offensive football. Let Haynes, Carrie, and King tote the rock and then hit Rutherford and Singleton to keep ‘em honest. Exactly what we did in the bowl game to slowly choke our opponents.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The FSU game comes down to our offensive line. Our QB is fine. Our RB’s are fine. Our WR’s are fine. Our TE‘s are unknown. If our OLine plays pissed off and nasty then we will score at will and win. If you look at our history in the past 40 years, when our OLine is nasty we have successful years. The skilled positions don’t determine wins and losses - their success is totally dependent on the play of the OLine.

Faulkner, as last season went on, realized he does not have to be cute. Football is not a cute sport. He realized just give the ball to the backs and let the OLine go to work. That we have a QB and WR’s (Rutherford and Singleton) who are highly competent and can make the DC pay for loading the box to stop our RB’s is the icing. With our OLine basically back and intact all Faulkner needs to do is play basic offensive football. Let Haynes, Carrie, and King tote the rock and then hit Rutherford and Singleton to keep ‘em honest. Exactly what we did in the bowl game to slowly choke our opponents.
FSU had a nasty D-line last season but i believe all those dudes are gone, they will be very good i’m sure but it will be hard to be that dominant again this season

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I think with BK, our o-line will always be nasty with an attitude.

Jolly Good Fellow

All GT games come down to our defense...We have been a poor-to-awful defensive team in 40 of past 50 years.... Can we stop anyone? Ever? Defense will determine GT success. It always has.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All GT games come down to our defense...We have been a poor-to-awful defensive team in 40 of past 50 years.... Can we stop anyone? Ever? Defense will determine GT success. It always has.
I agree that our defense is the key to our season, but that's not the same as the key to the first game. I believe our offense will be way ahead of the FSU defense that weekend. Having our oline back and most of our skill guys is huge.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Good in theory until the DL has studs like Clemson’s DL did last year. Our OL got beat all day. No clue what FSU’s DL will be like but seldom do they lack for studs there.

Really our defense needs to keep FSU in the 20s.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Our schedule is rough, yes. BUT we should go 6-6 or 7-5.

I wouldn't be shocked at 5-7, would be a bit disappointing. 4-8 or below is when we hit the PANIC button.

8-4 or above would be remarkable.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Y’all will laugh but I’m saying it so that I can say I told you so if it happens. I think there’s a good chance we head into Notre Dame week undefeated and ranked a top 20 team. I think Louisville could be a bigger threat than FSU. Outside of that, I think we handle everyone else leading up to ND.

I firmly believe our offense will be among the best in the nation and our defense will take the needed step (it would be absolutely wild if we stayed worst in nation in multiple aspects)

Voted 8-4 and I genuinely think that’s a reasonable prediction with our trajectory.