GT O vs CU O

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's hear the teams that you say are top 20 defenses first.

I used footballoutsiders FEI D. It uses opponent adjusted data from FBS competition during competitive parts of game.

As you can tell by some responses to your post, people in this forum tend to prefer rational discussion.

Imo, it would be helpful if you would clarify the point you wish to imply by a post rather than asking an apparently rhetorical question which has no basis in the data presented.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I used footballoutsiders FEI D. It uses opponent adjusted data from FBS competition during competitive parts of game.

As you can tell by some responses to your post, people in this forum tend to prefer rational discussion.

Imo, it would be helpful if you would clarify the point you wish to imply by a post rather than asking an apparently rhetorical question which has no basis in the data presented.
So what are the top 20 defenses? Pretty rational question.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So what are the top 20 defenses? Pretty rational question.

I gave that to you, but I said FEI when I actually used F/+ I don't know how to paste a link from my phone, but go to footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus

In the middle of the table, you'll see ranking for Def F/+ That's what I used.

Chad Morris was up for Texas Tech, Wake, USCw, and Vanderbilt jobs. Name was even thrown around for the Texas job.

Two things
1) In general, it would be helpful if you would provide links in support of claims of fact.
2) More importantly, I still fail to appreciate the logic of your point. Since this thread is about comparing offensive effectiveness, is it your belief that off eff is the only thing ADs consider when looking for a head coach? If so, I don't think many will agree with you. If not, then it doesn't seem like you've actually got a point.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is notorious for playing down to the competition. They have routinely struggled against inferior opponents and we tend to blow out 2-3 teams per year.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
AE, name teams. You said that we played 4 top 20 defenses and Clemson played 2. I just don't see it.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson is notorious for playing down to the competition. They have routinely struggled against inferior opponents and we tend to blow out 2-3 teams per year.
Clemson just had back to back 11 win seasons for the first time in school history. Never happened before Chad Morris brought his offense to Death Valley.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE, name teams. You said that we played 4 top 20 defenses and Clemson played 2. I just don't see it.

Sorry, I assumed the ability to read a table. My bad, I guess.
GT: VPI 3, CU 13, BYU 15, Miss 20
CU: FSU 1, USCe 16

Now please answer my questions to you.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
So are you saying that total yards given up per game is the best way to determine the 20 best defenses in college football?
It's the conventional way. If you don't like that, go with scoring defense. Still 2 to 1 Clemson.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice try. Incorrect defensive rankings.

GT: VPI - 4, BYU 47, Clemson 25, Ole Miss 38
CU: FSU 3, USCe 19

That would be top 20 defenses faced
GT: 1
CU:2

NCAA Total Defense
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p1

It's the conventional way. If you don't like that, go with scoring defense. Still 2 to 1 Clemson.

Well, I reckon you'd find very few people who really believe that bowling green had the #10 D in the country last year.

If you're going to go with traditional stats, I agree with the DCs quoted in the "keeping up" article from another thread. Yds/play and pts/poss are more important given the variety of pace today.

I also think that adjusting for schedule is necessary. Bowling Green's MAC schedule isn't the same challenge for yards as a power 5.

But for the record, in general, you do not agree that adjusting for pace and schedule makes sense in ranking the top 10 D? Bowling Green really had the 10th best D and Florida Atlantic the 11th, right?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I reckon you'd find very few people who really believe that bowling green had the #10 D in the country last year.

If you're going to go with traditional stats, I agree with the DCs quoted in the "keeping up" article from another thread. Yds/play and pts/poss are more important given the variety of pace today.

I also think that adjusting for schedule is necessary. Bowling Green's MAC schedule isn't the same challenge for yards as a power 5.

But for the record, in general, you do not agree that adjusting for pace and schedule makes sense in ranking the top 10 D? Bowling Green really had the 10th best D and Florida Atlantic the 11th, right?
So drop the outliers. BYU and Ole Miss are still not a top 20 defenses. And Clemson has still played more top 20 defenses.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
So drop the outliers. BYU and Ole Miss are still not a top 20 defenses. And Clemson has still played more top 20 defenses.
Come on man, he showed you (twice) where he was getting his stats for the top 20 defenses to answer your question. And, then you deliberately use a totally different method/measure. I suppose your question and then latest responses was a bait and switch of some sort.

This makes rational discussion impossible.

And, how MANY top defenses each team faced wasn't even the main idea of discussion by the OP. The main idea was comparing how well each team fared against top defenses. In that case, how many each faced would not be a major factor because you could do that by averages.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Come on man, he showed you (twice) where he was getting his stats for the top 20 defenses to answer your question. And, then you deliberately use a totally different method/measure. I suppose your question and then latest responses was a bait and switch of some sort.
So I guess the NCAA is not a reliable source for stats? Instead I should believe chopped up, selective stats from some website? Stats can be manipulated to make just about any point you want. I gave the unmanipulated stats that the rest of the world bases info on. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.