GT Nightmares

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I lived my dreams twice.
First was ACTUALLY being late to an exam. I had crammed all night and apparently slept through the alarm clock. Sun came out from around the Bell (ahem ATT&T ahem whatever it is now) Building and shined right in my Towers dorm eyes. Ran across campus showing up 45 minutes into the test. First person was finishing as I walked in. Prof said if he had walked out I wouldn't have gotten to take the exam.
Second was not knowing how to answer ONE QUESTION on an exam. I had just taken a full 3-hr exam 30 minutes prior. Grabbed lunch on the go and ran to next exam. Went into the next exam with my brain fried. Went through all six questions, and nope. . . nada. Just stared at each sheet turning the pages. The professor even came over and asked me what was wrong and we chatted outside for a minute as I was about to just turn the exam in. He said give it time. After about 30 minutes my mind starting working and I was able to get working.

B's in both classes!
Glad the second one turned out like it did.

As it got started, it reminded me of my Dad's story about his Fluid Dynamics test. Glad it wasn't that!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I used to have the dream of not remembering I had registered for a class, not attending any class until well after drop day, and being so far behind in the coursework that I cannot possibly pass the class.

I also have the recurring dream that it is my graduating quarter (spring, 1996), being told that I am missing a class to graduate and that I have to wait until after the Olympics to graduate.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I used to have the dream of not remembering I had registered for a class, not attending any class until well after drop day, and being so far behind in the coursework that I cannot possibly pass the class.

I also have the recurring dream that it is my graduating quarter (spring, 1996), being told that I am missing a class to graduate and that I have to wait until after the Olympics to graduate.

I used to have the same first dream... i still have it and will wake up 16 years later in a panic.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have most of these as well even after 40+ years. My big one is I am taking the final and the note on the door says they moved the room where it is being held and I dont know where that room is and I cant find the room
Oh my. That scenario has been in one of mine too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Weirdly, I’ve had all these dreams.

I don’t want to give too much away about myself but a few times I’ve had similar dreams about work (I’m retired). I am speaking to a room full of people and everything is going well but somehow I become aware of the fact that there’s a whole other division I didn’t know had been assigned to me. I rush out, find the building, go in, and there’s a room full of people sitting in neat rows, in coats, ties, dresses, patiently waiting. I wonder how long they’ve been waiting, marvel at how patient they are, wonder if they will ever trust me as a leader again, and whether I will ever be employed again in this work.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Weirdly, I’ve had all these dreams.

I don’t want to give too much away about myself but a few times I’ve had similar dreams about work (I’m retired). I am speaking to a room full of people and everything is going well but somehow I become aware of the fact that there’s a whole other division I didn’t know had been assigned to me. I rush out, find the building, go in, and there’s a room full of people sitting in neat rows, in coats, ties, dresses, patiently waiting. I wonder how long they’ve been waiting, marvel at how patient they are, wonder if they will ever trust me as a leader again, and whether I will ever be employed again in this work.
My variation is that I return to the site that I ran years ago. I am just there visiting but people start coming up to me asking questions or seeking input on recent things or situations that I simply have no knowledge of. I try to tell them I no longer work there and therefore can provide no input of value but they ignore or can't hear my comments and keep asking/demanding. That has replaced showing up to class in my underwear or pajamas or to a final for a class that I had forgotten I was enrolled in as the number 1 wake me up in the middle of the night dream.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, it’s been decades since I’ve dreamed I could fly. My favorite dream as a child. My guess is that when your young flying dreams are a metaphor for unlimited possibilities. The cold hard facts of older adulthood keep me grounded now.
Flying is easy. You just try to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Similar to the old gag about falling. It's not falling that actually scares me....it's the stopping that does. ;)
Mine was a paraphrase of Douglas Adams in Life, the Universe and Everything:

“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. … Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.”

I don't think I read those until I was at GT. Probably high school level books, maybe middle school level books but not age appropriate? If you have never read that series, you should. However, just read the trilogy and not the fourth addon book. I haven't read the fifth nor sixth books. The fourth book read as if he was pressured into making another book and didn't want to.

Poodletop

Georgia Tech Fan
Forty plus years and I still occasionally have versions of these bad dreams. The most vivid is the one where I can’t find where the class is meeting and when I finally do an exam is being given that I’m totally not ready for. And sometimes I also can’t find my pants.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Forty plus years and I still occasionally have versions of these bad dreams. The most vivid is the one where I can’t find where the class is meeting and when I finally do an exam is being given that I’m totally not ready for. And sometimes I also can’t find my pants.
I have a version of this dream where I also desperately have to go to this bathroom but the bathrooms are ambiguously defined, like urinals in the middle of busy hallways, or weird architecture that allows anyone to watch you urinate. This adds to my anxiety in the dream. 🤪