GT needed a change

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State would take the job in December 2020 if things under Geoff Collins get bad enough to where he's canned after the 2020 season.

Only if he’s a complete idiot. Some of the biggest proponents of the false narratives about the prior scheme are.....Tech fans. It’s a toxic scheme here and will never return. Luckily there are other schemes that can succeed here also. Hopefully we get one before too long.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Only if he’s a complete idiot. Some of the biggest proponents of the false narratives about the prior scheme are.....Tech fans. It’s a toxic scheme here and will never return. Luckily there are other schemes that can succeed here also. Hopefully we get one before too long.
Mike Leach maybe? About as similar while also polar opposite to CPJ as it gets.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
You take a hit after forgetting to buckle that chin strap? You obviously forget the pistol with Lee. It wasn’t pretty but it was variation.

How many games did we do that? And was it more than just snapping it from a different position? Because that’s what the film says it is.

Again, you don’t have to defer to my authority. Go watch the film.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How many games did we do that? And was it more than just snapping it from a different position? Because that’s what the film says it is.

Again, you don’t have to defer to my authority. Go watch the film.

See...you are backtracking now. Spent a whole offseason working on it. Spent several games utilizing it. Threw it in the trash when it failed.

You.....were......wrong. Admit it, move on, and save a little face.

Don’t defer to my authority. Go watch the film. @BobintheATL99 has kindly posted a ton of it. While your at it go back and educate yourself on the years our O was in the top 20.

It worked. Impossible for you to admit but a fact.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
See...you are backtracking now. Spent a whole offseason working on it. Spent several games utilizing it. Threw it in the trash when it failed.

You.....were......wrong. Admit it, move on, and save a little face.

Don’t defer to my authority. Go watch the film. @BobintheATL99 has kindly posted a ton of it. While your at it go back and educate yourself on the years our O was in the top 20.

It worked. Impossible for you to admit but a fact.

LOL
We threw it in the trash after two games because it was just snapping from the pistol rather than under center.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
LOL
We threw it in the trash after two games because it was just snapping from the pistol rather than under center.
It was also very slow developing and put unnecessary strain on the offensive line. Come on you played for the school, surely you could see that. 2014 showed how much more effective the offense is in its original form. Hell even the Tevin Washington years show that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well we're doomed if every time we hire a coach it divides the fan base. So ridiculous.

I’m sorry to say that the current state of human culture is that we love to be right and, perhaps even more importantly, for someone to be wrong. So if it wasn’t the coach it would be something else. For instance, there are people who like things about CGC but hate others (such as the money down stuff). And it’s not a discussion it’s an argument about who is right. Few seem to respect opposing positions. And of course, when you add in something truly polarizing it gets even worse.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
This is going to sound jerky, but is not meant that way. Do you believe, after seeing the level of support that Johnson got during his tenure at GT, that GT is a more attractive job to Coach Monken than Army?

If you were coach Monken, would YOU leave Army to coach at GT, knowing what we know?

CPJ got little to no support from GT, but he was still able to overcome it at times. I think that says a lot about his coaching ability.

If we were able to hire Monken or another 3O/veer coach, I think we would have been successful. The system works, and I personally like it. However, the 3O brings a lot of negative perception, and if you don’t have a coach who can overcome that, I think it ultimately puts a cap on how far your program can go. I’m not sure who can overcome it because I haven’t seen it yet. Even Willie Fritz abandoned the 3O this season at Tulane, and a lot of folks think it is because he wants a P5 job eventually.

I personally want to see if GT can be successful without the 3O. Collins will need A LOT more support than CPJ ever got. Stansbury seems motivated to provide that, and I believe CPJ has commented to that effect in the past. Who knows what support we’ll see from the school itself and the general fan base.... I think GT can be more consistent and have a higher ceiling, but I suppose we will all see if the pieces come together over the next few years.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
His last year here, we went .500 in the league. And, that was the pre-big-east-consolidation "easy" ACC.

The easy ACC thing is BS. We had a higher percentage of ACC teams ranked during GOLs reign than any subsequent coach.

If GOL stayed he’d absolutely have won championships or if he left a year earlier and Fridge took over the same thing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ failed to field an even average D after 2008 (which was an Average D). That's why we didn't win more most years. Over the last couple of years we got bit by a less than expected QB, but we still managed to go 5-3 in conference, 2nd in the Coastal last year. Saying that his offense didn't work is just ignorant.

With that being said, the OP and others are right that the change needed to happen. The head winds had become too strong.

As far as the alternate-history being written, we would still have been hit with Flunk-gate if George had stayed. He's been my favorite GT coach in terms of personality. I think he got the value of clean old fashioned hate much better than Paul, and even better than Bill Curry. Still, George may not have done much better in the post-flunk-gate world than Chan.

I still think some may underestimate the impact of APR on the culture compared to the George and Bobby years.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
As I have said before, I was firmly in the Monken camp. I think it was the wrong decision not to hire him and to hire CGC instead. I won't go back into the details on that because I've already done so, and it's not the time for it.

But, I want to be fair to GT, to Stansbury, and to Collins in evaluating this new era as a fan. I understand that I am not infallible in my view, so I could be wrong about the decision ... Maybe we can recruit really well (like top 10-15 eventually). Maybe we can have a great defensive scheme with Collins, Thacker, and Burton heading it up. Maybe Patenaude is a very underrated offensive mind who can be a top OC eventually once the recruiting catches up.

I know this: it would not be fair to seriously criticize this Collins era in the first year. He has to have time to develop his "culture" and to recruit players to what he's trying to do. So, even though losing to the Citadel was embarrassing (and VERY ironic), I'm not going to take cheap shots at Collins or the program right now. This Citadel loss provides such a tempting opportunity to claim that my view about Monken/Collins and the Option and the philosophy of football hype vs substance and such is the superior view, I just don't feel it fair or right to do so at this point. It's a "love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others" thing. If the shoe was on the other foot and people were criticizing Monken or my view unfairly, I would think they were wrong for doing so, so I will try to abide by a consistent standard.

I have to confess that I did feel some morbid sense of satisfaction at losing to the Triple Option the way we did, even though I was pulling for GT the whole game. I was sick over losing when we missed that last field goal and they made theirs, and yet something in me cheered the way that option was churning against us with us having the far superior players. There was just something poetic about it.

For me, it's going to be a frustrating 3 years, but I truly don't think it will be fair to make any kind of serious evaluation of Collins until we get to year 3 or 4, with his players being entrenched in his schemes. Another poster (@jacketup , I think?) astutely pointed out our struggles during G'Ol and Freidgen's first few years with Little Joe. Seems to me those on our side of this view should consciously and publicly take the high road, cheer for Collins and GT for the next 3 years for better or worse, and then either be proven right or wrong. Once that time comes, we're either enjoying the success of our being wrong or we get to proclaim our view to be the one we should all follow from that point forward. And, hopefully, we would have a fanbase that would be as unified as possible and ready to hear it. GT's success moving forward (which an above average, unified, mature fanbase would help with in the long run) should be all of our priority.

That’s a very good take and I agree with most of it besides having the TO and Monken back at Tech.

But I really vibe with the non football parts of your posts.
We should, and I should, try to avoid taking cheap shots at others- fans, coaches, and the players.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look if all else fails I'll take the job as head coach. We can save money because I'll also be the offensive and defensive coordinator.
As the offensive coordinator I will call the play ( cause we will only have one play) that will cut down on mistakes. As the defense coordinator I plan to run the 7-5-7 .
Practice will be from 5pm till 5:15 pm don't believe in wearing down the players.
One question as head coach do I get free beer?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This has been (and hopefully will remain) the best place for sincere and respectful disagreements on all things GT football. If people can accept that we will have differing opinions without the name- calling and personal insults, this will be a great place to discuss and vent about GT sports.

There are other sites that allow and relish the personal attacks, and that is fine. I am glad that those that like that kind of thing have a place (or places) to go.

I said it before, and I will say it again. I believe what CGC is about to try to do has been tried before (except maybe not with his salesmanship and marketing skills). I believe it (trying to win in recruiting and straight up against the factories) has and will always fall short of what the GT fans and alums want, but I am happy to be wrong about it, because I love GT football, and I want us to have success beyond anything I have imagined. I have been right about a lot of things in my life that I wish I had been wrong about. BUT, occasionally, it goes the other way, and if CGC takes us to new heights, I will be extremely excited and happy to be wrong. Go Jackets!!

White_Gold

GT Athlete
This has been (and hopefully will remain) the best place for sincere and respectful disagreements on all things GT football. If people can accept that we will have differing opinions without the name- calling and personal insults, this will be a great place to discuss and vent about GT sports.

There are other sites that allow and relish the personal attacks, and that is fine. I am glad that those that like that kind of thing have a place (or places) to go.

I said it before, and I will say it again. I believe what CGC is about to try to do has been tried before (except maybe not with his salesmanship and marketing skills). I believe it (trying to win in recruiting and straight up against the factories) has and will always fall short of what the GT fans and alums want, but I am happy to be wrong about it, because I love GT football, and I want us to have success beyond anything I have imagined. I have been right about a lot of things in my life that I wish I had been wrong about. BUT, occasionally, it goes the other way, and if CGC takes us to new heights, I will be extremely excited and happy to be wrong. Go Jackets!!

I haven’t seen anybody correctly utilize the strengths of GT in recruiting. That’s definitely one thing that is completely different from CGC. He and his assistants are the only coaches I’ve heard iterate exactly what I think makes GT great, better than other schools to play football at.

Gailey finally understood it, but was clearly not a leader of young men who are developing and couldn’t find anyone decent to coordinate his recruits on offense.